Seriously?

Aggieboy
Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
edited December 2013 in The cake stop
Had to reappear to query this - viewtopic.php?f=40088&t=12951614 because I really can't make sense of it.

So someone is treated badly, needs some help and asks for advice/help via the forum. People rally around to give some advice/help apart from one c0ck. Rather than deal with said c0ck and before the OP can respond with any other queries etc, the thread is locked. The OP gets abused and then has his own thread locked. Seriously??

And before anyone tells me to 'sling me 'ook' as I don't frequent here anymore, well I was just trying to help the guy out as after all 'tis the season of goodwill'. Or possibly not if you get a false 'parking ticket'.
"There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."

Comments

• graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Bizarre! :(
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,410
    Strange one. Possibly locked in error. Easier to delete the offending posts.

Aggie, come back you stubborn git.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    The locking of threads continues to baffle me. Seems like Ugo likes to throw his weight around.
  • The OP to that thread had asked for advice and was grateful for the advice they received from those who were helpful. It's now for the OP to decide what action they take.

I see no purpose in keeping threads open when specific requests have been met, particularly when threads risk being hijacked for nefarious purposes. If anyone has a desperate need or have a personal mission to pursue the case for the OP then they can always pursue it through PMs which is probably best in such ongoing cases.
  • The OP to that thread had asked for advice and was grateful for the advice they received from those who were helpful. It's now for the OP to decide what action they take.

I see no purpose in keeping threads open when specific requests have been met, particularly when threads risk being hijacked for nefarious purposes. If anyone has a desperate need or have a personal mission to pursue the case for the OP then they can always pursue it through PMs which is probably best in such ongoing cases.

That's why I decided to post though. The advice he'd been given and his decision (in his last post) was definitely wrong, and could lead to unnecessary Court action or expense. It's all very well pm'ing but, as is borne out by other posters, others have/may be/will have one of these bogus tickets and also be appreciative of any advice submitted to this thread.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,509
    seanoconn wrote:
    ^^^
    What he said.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    ^^^
    What he said.

Yeah come on, I'm running out of pictures of Christmas flange to post in Big Girls, well pics with no nip of muff anyway :twisted:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Stevo_666
    arran77 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    ^^^
    What he said.

Yeah come on, I'm running out of pictures of Christmas flange to post in Big Girls, well pics with no nip of muff anyway :twisted:
    Exactly, I'm thinking of putting up a reward for any non-bannable pics of Tori Black :mrgreen:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • seanoconn
    Maybe the OP asked for the thread to be locked.
  • Whatever.

I still miss Aggie.

Oh and whatshisname.
    'fool'
  • arran77
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    ^^^
    What he said.

Exactly, I'm thinking of putting up a reward for any non-bannable pics of Tori Black :mrgreen:

I think between us we found the only two safe pictures, ones where she hasn't got a 'mouthful' are rarer than rocking horse shite my friend :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Yep, thought it a little harsh too.

But knowing little about the subject, thought I'd keep my god shut for once too......
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Stevo_666
    arran77 wrote:
    I think between us we found the only two safe pictures, ones where she hasn't got a 'mouthful' are rarer than rocking horse shite my friend :wink:
    I'll take that as a challenge :P
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Haven't even bothered looking at the thread but AGGIEBOY is back?!! I may start visiting again!

Love n Hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    stop-whining-o.gif
  • Some of the mods do take things a bit too seriously I've noticed. It's the internet, not your back garden.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Stanford Prison Experiment
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Some of the mods do take things a bit too seriously I've noticed. It's the internet, not your back garden.

You think??? Some certainly more than others...
  • arran77
    Some of the mods do take things a bit too seriously I've noticed. It's the internet, not your back garden.

I think some might be only children as they don't seem to know how to play nicely with the other kids :wink:

seanoconn
  • Aggieboy
    stop-whining-o.gif

It's not whining, it's a serious point. I assume that's your response as you don't want to confront my point? When someone is abused on their own thread you'll just lock it - that's the precedent is it? A sensible response would be appreciated, this is Cakestop and not BB after all.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    Not really. Wasn't my mod action so I can't comment.

I do think you all should stop whining about moderating. You only see half the story the mods do and they do it for free.

I remember people moaning about mods deleting stuff and now people are moaning mods lock stuff instead of deleting. You can't win as a mod, so why bother trying?
  • The problem guys is that recently you have gone a bit over the top, especially in the Pro Race area and there are too many topics that get reported and need moderation.
    Occasionally the topic goes on for 35 pages (of mostly crap) and I am supposed to read all the comments to make some sense of it and discriminate the good form the bad... guess what? I can't be bothered and the solution is to lock the thread (and throw away the key).
    You have to be honest with yourself, most of these discussions are pretty pointless from the start.
    In the specific instance, I deleted a couple of offensive posts, distributed some warnings and locked the thread as it was only going in one direction.
    I ONLY lock a thread or delete comments if they get reported and the report has some grounds. Occasionally I do ignore reports, when I believe they have no grounds.
    You should also stop expecting the moderators to get rid of the people you don't like. If you don't like someone, the best course of action is to ignore him and NOT to trick him into getting a ban.
    In other words, what's happening in the PRO race area is very childish, I don't know whether you guys are 16 or 45, but at the moment the behaviour in that area is kind of kindergarden
    left the forum March 2023
  • seanoconn
    I've said it before, the majority of members appreciate the job moderators do, it's a thankless task. No mods = no forum. Members do seem to be tarred with the same brush lately. The posts in Pro Race generally aren't written by the same people that post in Cake shop & Bottom Bracket and vice versa.

We're posting on a bike forum here, which isn't exactly a benefit to society and could be said that its all pretty pointless. Locking threads might be time saving but won't deal with the problem of reports and many locked threads will only be of detriment to the forum.

Sean
  • I was going to keep away from this but as it's not going away ...

My previous post in the 'blue badge' thread merely pointed out that sometimes you need to accept your mistakes and learn from them rather than acting like the victim ... and it was the OP's mistake, he even said so himself ...

Some other 'forumite' decided in the spirit of xmas that responding to my post (or, more accurately, to me) with profane language was the way to go ...

None of that was abuse on my part ...

There is a bigger discussion to be had about people's attitudes to certain factors relating to the original thread but based on how things have gone so far we would be best served to side-step that conversation ...
  • My previous post in the 'blue badge' thread merely pointed out that sometimes you need to accept your mistakes and learn from them rather than acting like the victim ... and it was the OP's mistake, he even said so himself ...
    You can't rewrite history, especially when the thread hasn't been deleted. You weren't just "merely pointing out" but being spiteful and unhelpful in contrast to all other posters. That there was subsequent abuse wasn't right but not unsurprising in the circumstance.

Maybe next time, and in the spirit of xmas, if you've got nothing helpful to say you won't say anything saving yourself risk of admonishment.
  • My previous post in the 'blue badge' thread merely pointed out that sometimes you need to accept your mistakes and learn from them rather than acting like the victim ... and it was the OP's mistake, he even said so himself ...
    You can't rewrite history, especially when the thread hasn't been deleted. You weren't just "merely pointing out" but being spiteful and unhelpful in contrast to all other posters. That there was subsequent abuse wasn't right but not unsurprising in the circumstance.

Maybe next time, and in the spirit of xmas, if you've got nothing helpful to say you won't say anything saving yourself risk of admonishment.

No attempt to re-write or retract ... I feel it was a fair observation, some don't ... I'm saying no-more on the subject for the reason I mentioned in my post bove ...
  • Aggieboy
    For those not aware, due to a wonderful piece of common sense and moderating, the thread in question has been reopened.
  • Aggieboy
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    Haven't even bothered looking at the thread but AGGIEBOY is back?!! I may start visiting again!

Love n Hugs

DD

As if you haven't visited me enough. :wink:
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Aggieboy wrote:
    For those not aware, due to a wonderful piece of common sense and moderating, the thread in question has been reopened.

Sterling work there Aggieboy , it's good to see common sense prevail. Now seeing as you're out of exile do you mind popping over to the Middle East this Christmas.

Shalom, شالوم
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy wrote:

Sterling work there Aggieboy , it's good to see common sense prevail. Now seeing as you're out of exile do you mind popping over to the Middle East this Christmas.

Shalom, شالوم

Middle East peace talks are pencilled in for next year. As for now I'm just gonna await my invite to be a 'mod'.