Maintenance books...

birdie23
birdie23 Posts: 457
edited December 2013 in Road beginners
I've been doing little bits and pieces on my bike so far like indexing gears etc but I am looking to start doing more and more to make sure I look after my gear best I can.

I've been looking for a book to ask someone to give me as a stocking filler this Xmas and the choice is just too overwhelming.

Does anyone have a solid recommendation of a book for the beginner mechanic?
2012 Cube Agree GTC

Comments

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    This one is very good for road bikes:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zinn-Art-Road-B ... 1934030988

Make sure you get the most recent version though.
  • Richards Bicycle Book, but these appear to have taken a mystical value since the mans sad passing earlier this year. The haynes Bicycle manual isn't bad
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Another vote for Zinn (though it's a bit big for your stocking, it's easier to wrap than the Park Tool website).
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    Thanks guys, the Zinn book looks superb so I'll see if Santa has space for a copy!
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • Just got the Zinn book myself and I have to say it's absolutely excellent. Seems to cover every variant of equipment
  • I have the Zinn book and obviously it's very good. But every time I have needed to do something I have gone on You Tube and viewed in on my ipad. Not really sure you need a book.
  • Chris87
    Chris87 Posts: 224
    I've been using the most recent big blue park tools one and its been great. Its helped me do a complete bike build as well as a full rear hub service
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I got a maintenance book when I first got my MTB. Can't remember what it was called but it is a spiral bound one so that the pages actually stay open on their own which, on that fact alone, probably makes it far better than 90% of the alternatives!

Of course, the reason I can't remember what it is called is because I pretty much don't use it. The Youtube vids plus searches of forum threads show you what you need to do on the components you own which is so much better than a generic description and some photos.
    Faster than a tent.......