What are the chances?

plymouthsteve
plymouthsteve Posts: 136
edited December 2013 in Road general
Riding from work to home on two consecutive Saturdays in September, I somehow managed this feat.. A 44 mile ride across Dartmoor, in exactly the same time

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/386074252

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/389412258

Identical times to the second! Slightly different weather, wind etc, and the altitude and distance difference is down to longer lines around corners and different barometric pressure. But, I promise you it was exactly the same route both times.
This was recorded on my Garmin Edge 200, BUT I didn't have it on 'ghost rider' mode or even have the route set up as a 'course', so I had no reference to the previous week other than remembering where I was at various times; as you do.. 1/2 hour, 1 hour etc.
I doubt that I could match an exact time on a 1 mile flat road, so this is a hell of a coincedence that I thought you may find intresting/amusing.

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Can't get the route on my iPad but good riding!
  • Same rider, same terrain, I'd say that chances are good.
  • Why is the summary data edited??????

I've downloaded his rides as GPX and reuploaded them to Garmin - I get this, which is not identical to his rides:
    Still with 3 seconds, mind.

Distance: 44.21 mi
    Time: 3:13:29
    Avg Speed: 13.7 mph
    Elevation Gain: 4,557 ft

Distance: 44.24 mi
    Time: 3:13:26
    Elevation Gain: 4,429 ft

I've downloaded his rides as GPX and reuploaded them to Garmin - I get this, which is not identical to his rides:
    Still with 3 seconds, mind.

Distance: 44.21 mi
    Time: 3:13:29
    Elevation Gain: 4,557 ft

Distance: 44.24 mi
    Time: 3:13:26
    Elevation Gain: 4,429 ft

So not bad... but I bet he couldn't put a Rowntree's* fruit pastille in his mouth without chewing.

*other brands of pastilles are available
  • Re 'Why is the summary data edited?????, it says this on every ride I have stored on Garmin Connect. I can only assume that this is because when I download a ride, I select 'edit' to give it a name, choose whether it was a recreation or fitness or whatever and which, if any course it was.
    I'm not sure you could edit the time if that was the suggestion?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    yes you can edit the time ...
  • Slowbike wrote:
    yes you can edit the time ...

Can you? OK. But I didn't.

Now I know that, Dr Who will never be so impressive again!
  • Dr Who is on strava?
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Ran 3.65 miles last night, in 28mins 24secs.

Same run tonight, felt a bit sore after yesterday, started slow, finished quickly, in 28mins 24secs.
  • GiantMike wrote:

Same run tonight, felt a bit sore after yesterday, started slow, finished quickly, in 28mins 24secs.

Man, you are a slow runner....
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    GiantMike wrote:

I stopped to have a go on your mum. Both times.
  • I went into a Tesco Express last week and got some things. I go to the checkout and there's 2 guys there, one on the tills and the others with a print out of sheets of paper.

My goods came to £8.69. As the guy on the till tells me the charge, the guy with the sheets of paper looks over in shock. It turns out that was the exact money that the tills were short for that day. I asked if I'd won a prize, I did not.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    GiantMike wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:

Man, you're a quick shagger :wink:
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Earlier this year, I took on a Cat 3 climb which climbs for 1.6miles. I later discovered a relative of mine was into cycling and was on Strava, so looked him up and started 'following' him. He was looking through my rides and spotted we'd both done this climb. On closer inspection, it turns out we both did it in 14m 18s. Different riders, different bikes, different weather, different day, but exactly the same time - these things are unlikely but I guess the more you ride, the more likely they become....
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    dsoutar wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:

Man, you're a quick shagger :wink:

and doing it wrong
  • triban
    triban Posts: 149

So not bad... but I bet he couldn't put a Rowntree's* fruit pastille in his mouth without chewing.

*other brands of pastilles are available

Funniest comment i've read in ages! :lol::lol:
  • LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    Seriously?

:?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    What with commuting 5 days a week I do a lot of repeat rides so getting identical times happens though obviously not frequently. What amuses me more than matching a time on the same journey is when I do it out and back - the morning commute is more downhill than the evening one. However, an Easterly wind can slow the morning and speed the afternoon and effectively negate the terrain effects and I recall two consecutive days this year when there was about five seconds in it over four commutes.
    Faster than a tent.......