Collision whilst Training ....

Richysticky
Richysticky Posts: 37
edited December 2013 in Road general
Hi all,
Last Tuesday I was sideswiped by a lady in a polo, picked me up on the bonnet, and the steed went underneath. Wiping out my wheels, bent rear end, cracked forks and even bent my chainring, I consider myself lucky, only a little bruise and small cut to show for it. The driver was understandably in shock but indicated she smidseyed me and then hit the throttle instead of the brake, :roll: , she couldn't believe I had no injury. I understand that thankfully her insurance company will be re fully co operative .... But, I wont be seeing any form of payment until after Christmas at least. I was training fairly heavily at the time, at between 200 and 250 miles a week, have managed to bend the rear end a bit straighter, taped the crack in the forks and cobble the bike together so it sits right on the turbo, so I guess its gonna be turbo in the shed for a month to keep the legs spinning ..... Gahhhh
So .... Good news .... Could have been worse ...
Bad news ..... Stationary intervals for over a month

Any advice to keep sane and maintain fitness? :|

Comments

• Giving her a good slap should burn a few calories.....
  • Under certain circumstances provision of a temporary replacement would be covered under insurance. However this is mostly related to things like commuting to work - not sure if 'training' would be able to be claimed as a loss.
  • Surviving that without serious injury probably means that you are in fact Chuck Norris, in which case training is simply unnecessary :)

Well survived :D
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    4 posts in and no one has asked the crucial BR question ... I guess I'll have to do it: What was she like .. pictures?
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Buy a second hand bike on Ebay, then resell once your other one is replaced/fixed. You'll not loose money if you buy sensibly. Look out for something that's collection only, then when you sell it on offer it with postage and you'll probably make money. I've done it a few times now.
  • I was training fairly heavily at the time, at between 200 and 250 miles a week

CSB
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Why not buy a cheapo bike to go out on over the winter?. Could always us it a weather/winter hack then?

Turbos are zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz - you will long for something to look at unless you put Countryfile on a TV infront.
  • Ah, Good suggestions re getting a cheaper bike and re selling, but unfortunately I have absolutely zero funds at the mo, so countryfile it must be.... :lol:
    She was of pensionable age, have pictures of bent wheels and dented wings if you like? lol
    I doubt that her insurance company would class training in as much of a necessary class as I would, so yea, struck out there.
    I must admit, by the time the shock and surprise wore off I was ready to slap ... but that was around one the following morning :?

I am Chuck Norris .... Honest ... :)

Hate to ask ...... but whats CSB ?
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    ToeKnee wrote:
    4 posts in and no one has asked the crucial BR question ... I guess I'll have to do it: What was she like .. pictures?
    She was in a polo, so mybe she looked like the dark-haired woman from the big girls thread; you know, the one with the big … … … glasses?!
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    edited December 2013
    Ah, Good suggestions re getting a cheaper bike and re selling, but unfortunately I have absolutely zero funds at the mo, so countryfile it must be.... :lol:
    She was of pensionable age, have pictures of bent wheels and dented wings if you like? lol
    I doubt that her insurance company would class training in as much of a necessary class as I would, so yea, struck out there.
    I must admit, by the time the shock and surprise wore off I was ready to slap ... but that was around one the following morning :?

I am Chuck Norris .... Honest ... :)

Pensioners and old people can be hazardous when your out on the bike weekdays. I had a run in today with one who pulled out and just stopped right in the middle of the road.
    Last week a old fella missed a turning to a church.. stopped in the middle of the road and decided to reverse back whilst I and traffic were waiting behind.

I know theres no dosh but Wiggle do this... Not bad price, decent and would get you through winter without having to deal with Matt Baker. .... http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-f95-sora-wiggle-exclusive/
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I would have thought that the same conditions would apply as if it were a car to car. Replacement cars would be provided if necessary so why should you be disadvantaged as a cyclist? Unless I'm being particularly stoopid...

Pleased that you are ok btw
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841

Cool Story Bro (When someone tells you a boring story that really needn't be shared. Sarcastically replied). It's SloppySchleckonds' topically constructive comment.

Good to hear you are ok, amazing how some big scrapes don't end in something far more serious.
  • dont call it a steed
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    When I was knocked off a couple of years ago I had the repair money through about a week after the claim went in, other parties insurance were straight on it. Injury money took longer, but I had to wait for court hearing for that to happen.
  • dont call it a steed

Is that in the rules..?
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    :wink::wink: I'm sure you used your bike to commute :wink::wink::wink: and will probably be eligible for a temporary replacement :wink::wink::wink: or a hire car instead :wink::wink::wink: (and the insurance company would rather hire you a bike than an expensive car) :wink::wink::wink:
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Objection your honour, leading the witness...

Over ruled :)
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    I would have thought that the same conditions would apply as if it were a car to car. Replacement cars would be provided if necessary so why should you be disadvantaged as a cyclist? Unless I'm being particularly stoopid...

You can claim reasonable costs for a replacement car, or claim costs for public transport if need be. But all this is for the requirements of transport, getting to work, getting to the shops etc. If the OP is commuting by bike then fair enough, but I'm just not sure he can claim for, say, bike hire, for training.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    What about asking the insurance company for an interim payment to allow a cheap replacement to be sought while the final figure is determined? It might get them to move faster if its an open and shut case with their client wholly liable. In the meantime, use the time wisely to have a look around and make inquiries for a replacement.
  • Applying some lateral thinking, you could buy a replacement with a credit card that offers 0% on purchases and pay it off with the insurance payout. Obviously it gets very expensive if you can't pay off the balance before the interest kicks in, so you need to have a plan B in the event that the insurance takes a while to come through.

N.B. Don't even consider this if you're bad at managing money or suspect you'll end up buying things you can't afford to pay for.
  • ToeKnee wrote:

Surely the crucial question is, which bike should we spend his money on, once the insurance has been settled? :?
  • Surely the crucial question is, which bike should we spend his money on, once the insurance has been settled? :?

The exact same bike considering insurance is meant to restore you to your original position only.

Ok, not being serious ;)
  • :? Seems there are a lot of hazardous drivers these days, and now the minority have definitely marred my opinion of the majority. That Wiggle Felt looks like a right solid deal to be honest, but I do literally have no spare cash at the mo, and it is frustrating. :x

No chance of hire bikes or interim payments unfortunately although sensibility would say that cyclists should be treated as any other party in a collision....

I would have thought that stating how many miles I was doing in a week would help people answer my initial question of how to maintain fitness? And I have called my bikes steeds for 20 years, long before I had read the rules :P

I did have my eyes on another Specialized, but after the recent kurfuffle I am possibly thinking otherwise....

Second Turbo session today, just another hour of intervals... haven't quite resulted to John Cravens crew yet tho :)

Ironically, after telling the girlfriend that I shave my legs so that when i come off its easier to treat, and the one time I have to slap a plaster on a cycling injury its on my stupidly hairy arm ..... :roll:
  • dont call it a steed

Is that in the rules..?

Not to my knowledge, it just sounds wanky when refferred to anything other than a horse. Even then it sounds stupid.
  • fuddymox
    fuddymox Posts: 384
    dont call it a steed

Is that in the rules..?

Not to my knowledge, it just sounds wanky when refferred to anything other than a horse. Even then it sounds stupid.

What about when referring to a bowler hat wearing member of the Avengers?

• Not to my knowledge, it just sounds wanky when refferred to anything other than a horse. Even then it sounds stupid.

Ah right, as I refer to my bike as my 'iron horse'.... As in, 'Just heading out on the iron horse'...

Which probably sounds like a horse reference too. :shock:
  • ToeKnee wrote:

Surely the crucial question is, which bike should we spend his money on, once the insurance has been settled? :?

:D Should be a cheque through the letterbox by end of next week ....
    I am really pleased at the speed that the insurance company worked to be honest, all credit to them...

Still on the Turbo doing an hours worth of intervals a day, and I am surprised at how efficient doing that is, probably more so than road riding dare I say?

I know this is gonna stir up a bit of a discussion possibly, but I was looking at just replacing the old bike, with one the same :D

Have £900 to spend so ....

An Allez Sport and upgrade with a pair of planet x AL30s...

But ... would it be worth spending it all on a bike without the spare wheels, would go from 9 to 10 speed, which I have never had so wont miss, and get possibly a slightly better wheelset?

Not worried about trying to get a carbon frame, I have had both but prefer Alloy, :wink:

Thoughts?
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    £900 buys some tasty used entry level full carbon bikes with a decent group set. Perfect time of the year to buy.
  • Compo, compo and more compo. Im talking the money sort and not that little fella from Last of the summer wine. Insurance companies take the piss with small print and any excuse not to pay so personally milk it for what its worth.
  • Went for the local option in the end, makes sense as I ride in the club and love the frames anyway, waay much more responsive and tighter than my old Allez ...

11650879636_2413a5bd98_z.jpg
    finished zero.8 by rpic - rich webber, on Flickr

A 2014 Schils Hydro Zero.8, nice and simple 9 speed setup, so I can use my existing spares and whatnot....
    first proper ride out for a month tomorrow, weather permitting :)