The dreaded jock itch: chuck the shorts?

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited December 2013 in Road general
A question for any of you who have suffered the joys of jock itch: did you end up having to chuck your shorts? I ask because I picked up a dose four or five weeks ago and am finding it really hard to shift (despite doing all the right things with creams and washing and drying myself etc). For one reason or another, I'm not riding every day at the moment, but on those days when I do, the old jock rot gets worse again. I put two and two together and decided I must be reinfecting myself and so washed my shorts at 60 degrees, and then when that made no difference I risked 90, but again, it always gets worse after a couple of hours in cycling shorts.

I'm just itching to read your advice.

Comments

• Don't chuck them. Do a wash using a good nappy wash powder, they're designed to kill everything as you can imagine. I use it to wash all my kit maybe one in every four washes. As for the itch itself I was told by my gp it is very similar to athletes foot so dactarin cream works a treat to cure it.
  • I think everybody on this forum has either had it or will get it. Shouldn't be any need to throw the shorts though. Maybe try a different brand of cream/powder?
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    You could always sell them - there'd be several buyers on this forum:

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12951141
  • Thanks. I'm using over the counter Dactarin, which helps, but has yet to cure. Cream wise I'm using both Assos and Sportique Century, as it's supposedly got anti-fungal properties. I'm really surprised anything can survive a 90 degree wash. Maybe it can't and it's just that cycling makes it worse while the infection is still there. I'll definitely try the nappy wash tip. Cheers
  • jp1970
    jp1970 Posts: 134
    Do you also have athlete's foot... If you do... You needs to ensure you don't dry you feet then you Crown Jewels after showering/bathing otherwise your just spreading the infection..... This was a nugget of information provided by my podiatrist.

Since then I've never had the dreaded infection in the nether regions....
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Never found Dactarin much good. Canesten works better. Failing that go to the doctor, could be something worse.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Go to the gp.I had this in the summer and only some cream from the doctor cured it. As some one said, every one has either had it or will have it.
    PS, its not in your shorts but your skin ,(doctors words not mine) it,s just the shorts with the rubbing and friction bring it out.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,208
    Don't chuck them, soak in Bruclens for 20 minutes then rise thoroughly (Bruclens doesn't smell as bad as the nappy cleaner and is more gentle on the fabric). As others have suggested it's time to see the quack.
    By the way been cycling on and off for 45 years and never had crotch rot even when chamois were made of chamois.
  • Thanks all. I think you're right: over the counter cream just isn't cutting it. So far I've got through one tube of Canesten and two of Dactarin. The way my GP surgery is, I should have an appointment sorted for early next year.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I've struggled on and off for a few years and a couple of things helped.

1. Mudguards. I don't get a regular squirt of mucky water up my crack most days.

2. I bought some really cheap antibacterial soap in Tesco about a month ago which has done wonders. Sorry I can't remember the name but it's orange and smells like old rugby changing rooms. I keep it just for downstairs and since I've been using it I've had no issues - not even a mild itch where before I was red and sore.

Worth a shot - I've used a lot of things before that and none were more than a temporary fix - or excruciating like spraying athletes foot spray on sore bits.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Watch out for the tablets, I was one step away from liver failure and I'm still not right a year later.
    They were used to treat a two pence peice patch of it that appeared from nowhere, the creams didn't work so I was given the tablets, major mistake.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    jp1970 wrote:
    Do you also have athlete's foot... If you do... You needs to ensure you don't dry you feet then you Crown Jewels after showering/bathing otherwise your just spreading the infection..... This was a nugget of information provided by my podiatrist.

This is by far the best advice you will get. Even if your feet are not itchy you can cross infect.

Treat both.
  • hopak
    hopak Posts: 193
    Lamisil cream, which is based on terbinafine hydrochloride is the answer.
    It worked for me and what's left over you can use to lube your chain.
  • Navrig wrote:
    jp1970 wrote:

This is by far the best advice you will get. Even if your feet are not itchy you can cross infect.

Treat both.

+1. Also it might seem odd, but if there's any chance you may have athlete's foot, get dressed socks first.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)