Front wheel sounds loose

MrBburn
MrBburn Posts: 3
edited December 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi guys,

This could be a really newbie question but I just want to check. I have just brought a Voodoo Bizango last week. I haven't really been out on it yet, only to the top of the road and back, everything seems fine, apart from a little rubbing on the brakes which I have tried to fix myself with mixed results. But an issue that I have just noted is that when i lift the front wheel off the ground and put it back down it sounds like something is clapping, as in it's not fully locked. I have definatley tightened the wheel enough. I have only got into mountain biking about 2 months or so ago, so not sure if this problem is normal and there should be some clapping sound or whether halfords haven't set it up correctly. I am going to take it to my LBS tomorrow anyway as I don't trust the guys at halfords near me (they didn't seem to know much), but just thought I'd ask here as well.

Thanks

Dan

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    A few things it could be:
    1. Loose headset (test- hold on front brake and try to rock bike backwards and forwards - there shouldn't be any knocking or obvious movement from where the fork steerer goes through the headtube)
    2. If the noise is happening when you lift the bike, it could be forks topping out (extending to full travel when you relieve the pressure on them by picking up the bike)
    3. Could be play in the wheel hub itself. Turn bike upside down, hold the fork lowers steady in one hand and hold the rim of the wheel in the other and see if there's any movement between the two - hub bearings might need sorting if there is.
  • Ok thanks Jimothy, I'll try these when I get home later and let you know. Just to confirm then, it shouldn't make any sound when bouncing the wheel on the ground then, i.e the wheel should sound fully secure, no clapping sound? Like I say it's not a massive deal if it doens't sort it as I'll take it to LBS tomorrow, but if it's something I can fix myself then might as well try.
  • What wheel is it?
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Front
  • Could well be an improperly tightened top cap on the headset. Take it back to the shop you got it from and get them to check. (I recommend they check it because if you're not sure what you're doing you could easily over tighten a headset top cap and you'll wreak the bearings in it.)

I don't mean to make it sound dramatic and it's not a huge issue, just don't want you to bugger your headset.
    Community police have been on the look out for a vandal by the name of \'The Elusive Lout\'. Any information you could give would be gratefully received.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If it's a Bizango 'the shop' will be a branch of Halfords.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.