Tyre size and choice

surferireland
surferireland Posts: 27
edited December 2013 in Road beginners
Hi guys, my setup is a giant defy advanced frame - campagnolo khamsins.

The tyres currently cheapish vittoria zaffiro 23 wired bead

I had thought of putting better tyres on?

Or is there any benefit in going to 25c and will that work on these wheels?

Though i havent had any issues with puncturers in ages.

Mileage around 1000 a year - Im 5'10 & 90kg

Thankyou

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Yes 25's will fit. They do offer a slighlty more comfortable ride as you can use a little less pressure in them compared to 23's.

If you have no complaints and if there is nothing wrong with the current ones just wait tll they need replacing IMO.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • On smooth roads are the 23's better?

I guess what Im asking is if I go up to a 25 will it make me slower?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Actually it is accepted that 25's offer LESS (debateable) rolling resistance than 23's. So actually they should be faster.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Though i havent had any issues with puncturers

I have this vision of people with black hats and stripy shirts wandering around sticking knives into bicycle tyres :wink:
  • owenlars wrote:
    Though i havent had any issues with puncturers

I have this vision of people with black hats and stripy shirts wandering around sticking knives into bicycle tyres :wink:
    Funny one - nice
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    I would stay with 23mm tires unless you want to run a little less pressure for more comfort.

Folding tires will be signifantly less weight than wire bead. A 'training tire' will probably give good durability. If the rims have 'hooks' to mate with the bead on folding tires, then the folding should fit ok.

Regarding the 'rolling resistance' of wider tires - It is usually specified that the wider tire is inflated to the SAME pressure as the narrower one. The wind resistence and weight of the wider tire is not considered.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Its more down to personal preference and the roads you ride on. Round my way the roads are fairly smooth so I ride on 23mm tyres at 105 PSI. If the roads were rougher I would probably go for bigger tyres. The balance for speed is a too low pressure creating extra grip and more punctures v too high a pressure leading to alot of vibration from the road. Changing tyre size adjusts the pressures this happens at.
  • alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    It may be worth experimenting with 25mm tyres for winter use. The Conti Gator Hardshells are pretty good. The wet weather makes punctures more likely as the water acts as a lubricant for sharp glass or other penetrating objects. If you think they are too heavy then swap back when it warms up again. I prefer 25mm tyres just for the comfort but ride on 23mm in summer just because I have them!
  • OP. I'm similar to you and ran Conti GP4000s last year in a 25. Great tyre and considerably better than the Zaffiro's. They are pricy though and TBH the rear is getting near the end of it's life after a couple of thousand miles on it.
    I'd recommend them.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Another recommendation for GP4000S, light, grippy and quick. Another to think about is the Vittoria Rubino Pro, but the Contis have better wet grip and are slightly quicker.

Definately go for a folding tyre and the only difference between 23 and 25 is a little better ride comfort on 25's
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    This might come off a bit aggressive, but, I really don't understand why people ride 23mm tires, in south of France, okay maybe. Definitely not in Britain. As mmacavity rightly points out - 25mm tires are faster, more comfortable and have more grip with non-existent weight or aerodynamic penalties IRL.

Having said that if you don't feel there is anything particularly wrong with the Zaffiros keep them until they either wear out or start puncturing more often than usual - even if they have plenty of tread.

GP4000s are probably the best all round tires there are, that's for sure. Expensive - about £50 for a pair, so Schwalbe Durano can be had for £40 a pair and are also a pretty good all round tire.
  • Out of the factory nearly all the new bikes for people getting into road come with 23mm tyres which is why the confusion I guess.

I'll be ordered a good pair of folding tyres 25mm for xmas, thankyou for the advice as I really have no experience in this area.
  • Also think about Continental GP 4 Seasons. I just put some (25s) on my Focus for London commuting and they're great. Strong and grippy, but no speed penalty - at least at the speeds I ride. Not cheap.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • Out of the factory nearly all the new bikes for people getting into road come with 23mm tyres which is why the confusion I guess.

The confusion is conventional wisdom that the buzz feel you get on super skinny tyres at the highest pressure equal faster.
  • Just ordered the Continental Grand Prix 4 Season folding tyre in a 25mm expensive but its going to be an all year round tyre and it should last years on the mileage I do. Thanks again
  • If you want all year round tyres, best to go for a cheap one, like a Rubino Pro in 25 or 28, tyres wear out, puncture are inevitable.