A lesson...

2»

Comments

• You need to send out a strong message....

It stops Mr Crazy cyclist going on to commit genocide. I mean, angry ranting men are well documented throughout history as graduating to stuff like that.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Could just be a breakdown in communication. Cnut probably means how are you my jolly good fellow in Latvian...
  • OP - Unless you cut him up or stopped pedalling as soon as you got past him he's a loon and you can safely ignore him. If you did either of them he overreacted massively and you should ignore him... :D

I'm always surprised by how some people get pissed off by people drafting them and then go off on one. If it's bugging you, let the person behind know. Being polite will work and sometimes the person behind is knackered and desperate for a wheel to follow to give them some focus (also a good reason why they don't either take a turn or come and have a chat), see it as doing them a favour.
  • I did wonder that, when the MTB'er overtook me at the weekend and then I drafted him for the next couple of miles, I wasn't inches off his wheel, probably about a bike length or so, but close enough to mean I had to put in minimal effort to keep up. He could have objected, but then he was the one who overtook and he's not dropping me, so..
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498

drafted up a climb?
    It can work - I caught a rider who looked knackered whilst riding up a climb - said hello and popped past him but kept my pace steady to give him a chance to get on my wheel - I paced him up the climb and then towed down the otherside for the next couple of miles.

Am I a better climber/faster rider - am I heck! He'd already ridden >30 miles that afternoon and I had just done 5 when I caught him....
    He thanked me for the tow and we carried on together up another climb ... he wasn't training as such - just taking a long way home from work...
  • can it? unless there's a head wind, surely the speed, if its a proper climb rather than just an incline, for amateur cyclists, up a climb isnt great enough to cause notable benefits from drafting?
  • unless there's a head wind, surely the speed, if its a proper climb rather than just an incline, for amateur cyclists, up a climb isnt great enough to cause notable benefits from drafting?

I think this is true, but there is nothing like a point of focus and a distraction to help on climbs like this.

Chris
  • slowbike
    It's the distraction, a pace setter and mental process - the drafting may be a minor contribution.
    You're not going to double your top speed on a climb by drafting - but you may just get to the top a little quicker :)
  • alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    Forget about it. I had someone overtake me up a hill without a dicky-bird after I said hello as he passed. For some reason he slowed down enough for me to easily catch up with him. As soon as he realised I was behind him, he emptied his nostrils at me. I thanked him for the lubrication, overtook and sped on.

You never know when someone is having a bad day! Then again, some people are just tossers, on or off the bike.
  • Slowbike wrote:
    It can work - I caught a rider who looked knackered whilst riding up a climb - said hello and popped past him but kept my pace steady to give him a chance to get on my wheel - I paced him up the climb and then towed down the otherside for the next couple of miles.

Am I a better climber/faster rider - am I heck! He'd already ridden >30 miles that afternoon and I had just done 5 when I caught him....
    He thanked me for the tow and we carried on together up another climb ... he wasn't training as such - just taking a long way home from work...

I think that's less of an aero effect and more of a mental one. He was prepared to put in that extra bit effort to stay on your wheel.

It's happened to me as there is a steep, but fairly short, climb near me which I've been up a few dozen times, this hill was featured on a local charity ride and on this occasion I followed someone up, determined to stay on his wheel the entire time, and I smashed my segment time and haven't been able to beat it since, doubtful that it was aero inspired, I just put in a lot more effort for fear of the rider ahead getting away.
  • FECES
    FECES Posts: 25
    Sounds like the guy was lookin for a fight. By all means floor the bastard but be aware he may know some karate, and is eager to try it out. I wouldnt take that crap either!
  • Karate types are known for their mental strength - we'd never attack without massive provocation and then only to let you know that we're hard as f*** so don't mess. It's the kung-fu types you need to watch out for - they're as mad as hatters. :-)
  • alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    Oi, we Kung Fu types have inner harmony :wink: .
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Best...guy...ever. Sounds like a right peen. I'm doing intervals / hard sessions at the moment as part of my race plan for this year...due to having a couple of weeks off of the bike in April I can do it without fear of burning out. Just because it's in his 'plan' (Although I highly doubt this penis has a structured coached plan) doesn't mean it's in someone else's. You never know what that persons goals are for the season...they could be planing to go to Aus in a month to race.

Yes a newbie to cycling you're probably bombing round as hard as you can for the entire ride...but who cares..ride how you like and ignore the knobbas with big egos. Any real cyclist would let you be on his way and focus on his own training.
  • alidaf wrote:
    Oi, we Kung Fu types have inner harmony :wink: .

Still mad though :D
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    fatsmoker wrote:
    Karate types are known for their mental strength - we'd never attack without massive provocation and then only to let you know that we're hard as f*** so don't mess. It's the kung-fu types you need to watch out for - they're as mad as hatters. :-)

You do realise you have a Kung Fu related Avatar?? :?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Yes, but I never claimed to be sane, and Hong Kong Phooey is more to do with how everything turns out all right in the end in spite of me.
  • slowbike
    Slowbike wrote:

I think that's less of an aero effect and more of a mental one. He was prepared to put in that extra bit effort to stay on your wheel.

and if you look at my post a bit later ...
    Slowbike wrote:
    It's the distraction, a pace setter and mental process - the drafting may be a minor contribution.
    You're not going to double your top speed on a climb by drafting - but you may just get to the top a little quicker :)
    It's happened to me as there is a steep, but fairly short, climb near me which I've been up a few dozen times, this hill was featured on a local charity ride and on this occasion I followed someone up, determined to stay on his wheel the entire time, and I smashed my segment time and haven't been able to beat it since, doubtful that it was aero inspired, I just put in a lot more effort for fear of the rider ahead getting away.

I may be over thinking it - this particular climb is about 1/2 mile and averages out at 6% - it was obvious from the start that he was tired - one of the problems riders face is how to pace yourself up a climb - and having someones wheel to follow - providing they're not going significantly faster - can make the whole climb easier. Also, if you've been solo riding then suddenly get another rider to tag onto that can be a relief too ...
    Drafting only really came in when we got over the top and increased speed to >20mph ...