Rear shock sticky

declan1
declan1 Posts: 2,470
edited November 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello!

I recently bought a second hand Rockrider 6.4 frame with a Decathlon branded X-Fusion O2 rear shock. The shock doesn't have rebound/compression adjustment - only air pressure.

It's not exactly what I'd call 'plush'. It moves, but seems to stick until a certain pressure when it'll move. I presume shocks are meant to be smooth like forks but this certainly isn't - went for a ride today and it almost felt like a hard tail (yes, the pressure/sag is correct).

I want to try taking the air sleeve off and lubricating the inside but I have no idea what to use (grease, lube, oil etc).

Any help would be great!

Thanks
Declan

Road - Dolan Preffisio
MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.

Comments

• Try this:
    http://www.xfusionshox.com/images/pdf/2 ... Sleeve.pdf

You'll likely need a strap wrench to get air sleeve off
  • declan1
    Thanks for that - I was intending to buy a small sachet of Fox Float Fluid but this looks like a better option.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• declan1
    So, I purchased some Manitou Prep-M grease as I couldn't find and Slick Honey in Britain - it looks like the same stuff.

I could get the air sleeve off by hand - it was very tight but I just managed it.

Followed the instructions and WOW - it's amazing! Completely transformed the shock and it actually has small bump sensitivity now and doesn't stick. Thanks again for that link!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred