Cannondale Supersix cracked downtube

2»

Comments

• looks like movement, I'd go warranty for 2 points. My guess is that Cannondale UK have their own ££ to look after and won't be reimbursed by the 'head office' for a frame sold by Cannondale HK making it more goodwill at their cost.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    looks like movement, I'd go warranty for 2 points. My guess is that Cannondale UK have their own ££ to look after and won't be reimbursed by the 'head office' for a frame sold by Cannondale HK making it more goodwill at their cost.

If the UK distributor is owned by Dorel Industries and the HK one isn't there is no particular reason for them to get involved. The contract of sale and warranty is not in the EU.

http://www.cyclingsportsgroup.co.uk/
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I would have thought it might be potentially obvious that a lack of update could have meant that the OP was AT WORK!

It's not uncommon for people to join the forum solely to slag a company or product off. It's reasonable for Admin to get suspicious if you post once and then seem to disappear. Good news that you appear to be heading towards a possible resolution.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • looks like movement, I'd go warranty for 2 points. My guess is that Cannondale UK have their own ££ to look after and won't be reimbursed by the 'head office' for a frame sold by Cannondale HK making it more goodwill at their cost.

I see.

I'm hoping to have a way forward with the Warranty claim by middle of next week provided C'Dale UK agree with the verdict of the LBS when they inspect the Downtube. Flying Ball Cycling Co Ltd. have been really helpful.

Cheers,

Brian
  • Rolf F wrote:
    I would have thought it might be potentially obvious that a lack of update could have meant that the OP was AT WORK!

It's not uncommon for people to join the forum solely to slag a company or product off. It's reasonable for Admin to get suspicious if you post once and then seem to disappear. Good news that you appear to be heading towards a possible resolution.

Thanks for the heads up.

I really love my Cannondale and will be v happy to not need a replacement, but if I do need one I would be happy for it to be another C'Dale.

I just thought that some people on the forum might have experience of how companies dealt with their 'foreign' warranty. Instead of 90% being churlish.
  • Well, if it is a crack, I'll be the first to hold my hands up and apologize, but it still really doesn't look like one!!

If it were bought within the EU, I would say you could push as hard as you like to get a resolution as the law is firmly on your side, but as it's not, I wouldn't know, so can't help you there.
  • adamfo
    I bought a 2012 Cannondale Supersix last Xmas in the sales. As it was my first carbon I had a good root around the American forums to see of any common frame failings and could find none.
    Given these bikes have sold in large numbers the amount of non-crash related cracking seems to be minuscule.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    IME you are right adamfo, unless your name is thegreatdivide.
    They company didn't get their Crack-n-fail nickname for nothing ;-)
    You are right, in fact they have not got that name at all.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    smidsy wrote:
    IME you are right adamfo, unless your name is thegreatdivide.
    They company didn't get their Crack-n-fail nickname for nothing ;-)
    You are right, in fact they have not got that name at all.
    They used to have

https://www.google.com/search?q=+Crack-n-fail+
  • smidsy
    Oh its a MTB thing - no idea about them.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    If it's busted in normal use, Cannondale are risking some bad publicity by not replacing it.

Hardly
  • So.

Was it a crack or not?

I haven't been sleeping well since there's been a doubt.......
  • So.

Was it a crack or not?

I haven't been sleeping well since there's been a doubt.......

Hah! You're probably going to have a sleepless Christmas. They may have said "middle of next week", but I'm pretty sure they meant "middle of next year".

And I for one echo the OP, there's so many bad attitudes on this forum. It may be his first post, but he's not likely to be encouraged to come back by shouting him down and threatening to delete his posts!

*not talking about you berni, even I appreciate a bit of banter!
  • Whether it's cracked or not I don't understand why you have to return it to the original store if it's under warranty by Cannondale. I'd consider contacting them directly or the UK Supplier (just reread the OP and sounds like you already have?). Sounds like your LBS are being difficult cos you didn't buy it from them perhaps? Or just downright lazy for having to make a phonecall.

From experience, and having multiple Scott frames and friends who've had them too, a lifetime warranty means lifetime, and I've known Scott to replace frames even after they've been crashed, so I can't understand why Cannondale won't honour it considering the frame warranty for me is a major selling point of some manufacturers.

I agree that a warranty is a warranty! They are all made in Taiwan and then shipped to the US for construction. The LBS are being quite reasonable, but C'Dale UK are not (at present).

I suspect it depends on the company. I started a post in the mechanicals threads about my warranty issues with Orbea and there life time frame replacement warranty. My down tube cable stop for the rear mech sheared off and they " repaired it with a stop pop riveted back on" which my local bike shop wouldn't accept. Its now 13 weeks since it happened and are no near getting anywhere with Orbea and they are not answering the shops calls.
  • Just been looking at the original picture again, one possibility in my opinion is the frame has been on a car carrier or some type of work stand and clamped too hard?

Good luck

Richard...
  • OK,

The LBS are doing a great job and are on the case!

So the results are in! Rags to the ready!

Confirmed by Cannondale UK agree with the LBS, so they are validating it as a warranty claim, which HK have said they would honour.

In terms of what happens next, things are looking very hopeful. I was hoping to hear today, but essentially Cannondale UK are talking to HK directly about how to get a replacement frame, which I think you would agree is going beyond their remit - both HK and the UK distributors.

How Far is too Far raises a good point, but I have a Thule Outride 561 (clamps the fork dropouts) suitable for carbon frames, however I've never taken this bike on the roof only in the boot (nothing on top of it) and I don't have a work stand.

What about clamping it in a turbo trainer? I only have the output power of two night lights, but the whole bike is held rigid.

Cheers,

bgw
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you can break a bike like that on a turbo - then you've more power than all of Team Sky combined in those legs of yours.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    OK,

The LBS are doing a great job and are on the case!

So the results are in! Rags to the ready!

Confirmed by Cannondale UK agree with the LBS, so they are validating it as a warranty claim, which HK have said they would honour.

In terms of what happens next, things are looking very hopeful. I was hoping to hear today, but essentially Cannondale UK are talking to HK directly about how to get a replacement frame, which I think you would agree is going beyond their remit - both HK and the UK distributors.

How Far is too Far raises a good point, but I have a Thule Outride 561 (clamps the fork dropouts) suitable for carbon frames, however I've never taken this bike on the roof only in the boot (nothing on top of it) and I don't have a work stand.

What about clamping it in a turbo trainer? I only have the output power of two night lights, but the whole bike is held rigid.

Cheers,

bgw

Nice to see some good customer service, Cannondale UK liaising with Cannondale HK is probably a ballache for them, so it's nice that they didn't just leave it as your problem.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • cougie wrote:
    If you can break a bike like that on a turbo - then you've more power than all of Team Sky combined in those legs of yours.

:lol:
  • DiscoBoy wrote:

Nice to see some good customer service, Cannondale UK liaising with Cannondale HK is probably a ballache for them, so it's nice that they didn't just leave it as your problem.

I couldn't agree more! I didn't buy in HK to undercut the UK side, just changed my old Trek while I was living there.

My LBS - Cadence, Bath are absolute troopers too!

Should have a new frame shortly. Cannondale UK (Cycling Sports Group) are currently working out with Cannondale HK (Flying Ball Bicycle Co. LTD) a way to do it.

Cheers,

Brian

PS - PS3 has just died so giveth with one hand, taketh by the other.
  • adamfo
    DiscoBoy wrote:

Cannondale UK (Cycling Sports Group) are currently working out with Cannondale HK (Flying Ball Bicycle Co. LTD)

Talk of flying balls reminds me of this sketch.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNa1RYgV17o
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    DiscoBoy wrote:

I couldn't agree more! I didn't buy in HK to undercut the UK side, just changed my old Trek while I was living there.

Should have a new frame shortly. Cannondale UK (Cycling Sports Group) are currently working out with Cannondale HK (Flying Ball Bicycle Co. LTD) a way to do it.

Cheers,

Brian

PS - PS3 has just died so giveth with one hand, taketh by the other.

Sounds like a perfect justification to get a PS4/XBox One to me.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Nick_M
    Nick_M Posts: 58
    DiscoBoy wrote:

Yes indeed, Cadence in Bath are absolutely excellent.
  • smidsy
    Nick_M wrote:
    Cadence in Bath

Must create a lot of bubbles :lol: Sorry long week.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • webboo1 wrote:
    Whether it's cracked or not I don't understand why you have to return it to the original store if it's under warranty by Cannondale. I'd consider contacting them directly or the UK Supplier (just reread the OP and sounds like you already have?). Sounds like your LBS are being difficult cos you didn't buy it from them perhaps? Or just downright lazy for having to make a phonecall.

From experience, and having multiple Scott frames and friends who've had them too, a lifetime warranty means lifetime, and I've known Scott to replace frames even after they've been crashed, so I can't understand why Cannondale won't honour it considering the frame warranty for me is a major selling point of some manufacturers.

I agree that a warranty is a warranty! They are all made in Taiwan and then shipped to the US for construction. The LBS are being quite reasonable, but C'Dale UK are not (at present).

I suspect it depends on the company. I started a post in the mechanicals threads about my warranty issues with Orbea and there life time frame replacement warranty. My down tube cable stop for the rear mech sheared off and they " repaired it with a stop pop riveted back on" which my local bike shop wouldn't accept. Its now 13 weeks since it happened and are no near getting anywhere with Orbea and they are not answering the shops calls.

From my limited experience with anything Spanish they always seem to be on some extended holiday.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015