wheel bearing upgrade

gubber12345
gubber12345 Posts: 493
edited November 2013 in Road general
I have a set of shimano RS10 wheels on my winter bike but they don't seem to be running that well,has anyone on here ever upgraded the wheel bearings or do I just have to slog it out.

if so what have they upgraded to?

maybe its just my crap tyres on them so maybe a better set of tyres would be the best thing to do,would decent tyres make a good difference?

PS
just noticed that there not a sealed bearing in them so upgrading is not a option I wouldn't think.
Lapierre Aircode 300
Merida

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Even with sealed bearings there is no such thing as an upgrade in any practical sense. You can get double sealed bearings where single sealed are fitted but there is no point in doing that til the originals are worn out anyway. And then it is just a case of replacing a less long lasting component with a longer lasting one. Common sense but hardly a performance upgrade.

What do you mean but 'not running that well'? Have you adjusted the cones? Have you regreased them? No one can tell you if new tyres would make "a difference" (difference to what?) if you don't tell us what tyres you currently use and what the difference would be from!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • got a set of conti ultras on,just seems to be a very high rolling resistance and its hard work pushing most of the time.

I have a spare set of gatorskins sitting around so but was a bit reluctant to use them on the winter bike but if its gonna make a difference i'l throw them on.

how do you mean adjusting the cones?
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • kwi
    kwi Posts: 181
    Cone bearings are adjusted by slackening and tightening the cones into the cups trapping the bearings in-between, so there is no play yet spin freely. Once the cones or cups are corroded and pitted time to change. Common mistakes are over greasing and forgetting to allow for the slight nip when tightening the lock nuts. It is easy once you've messed it up a few times :D
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    They are sealed bearings but you still need to carry out periodic maintenance.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    OP, new tyres will make no real difference if your bearings are shot...so I am a little confused why you suggest this.

Why not work out where the fault is...release the front brake QR (to eliminate the possibility of brake rub), lift the front of the bike and spin the wheel. Does the wheel roll smoothly or feel grated/noisy/come quickly to a halt? If any of the latter then the bearings (or adjustment of them) are possible contenders. It is difficult to replicate this simple test on the back as there is the freehub to eliminate from the equation but you can still get some idea by spinning backwards or removing the chain and spinning forwards.

No real fault and yet Strava times down? It's called winter performance :wink:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    RS10's are traditional cup and cone with loose ball bearings. When I strip mine down I usually find they are still shiny and well lubricated. Replacement Shimano bearings are a couple of pounds from SJS

If you don't really know what you're doing with cup and cone bearing adjustment have a read up on them first. Sheldon Brown is a good place to start

http://sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html

Get some cone spanners.
    Careful with the clip on plastic bearing covers.
    Leave the cone and locknut in place on one side of the axle.
    Don't over tighten when reassembling. You want a tiny amount of play before the QR is tightened, and none afterwards but the wheel should still spin smoothly / freely
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Unless your bearings are locked solid any extra rolling resistance will be negligible. I suggest a warm cup of HTFU. ;)
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Except that once your bearings e.t.c are shot your hubs will keep developing play which makes for some awkward handling.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Yes, but the OP hasn't actually said anything that points to there being anything wrong with his bearings. Perceiving 'high rolling resistance' whilst riding is usually a byword for being a bit slow or the product of multiple other things as suggested above.