Gear changing. shirmano ultegra

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited November 2013 in Road general
Is it me , my front mech set up or what ?
when i change gear ,little from ring to big ring ,sometimes the chain seems to "roll" a little without fully engaging.
Sometimes it runs smooth as silk.
I have had a good bike mechanic set it up and he says it is fine.
Am i changing the wrong gear at the wrong time,should i be using the trim (what is the trim position in bikes for?) .
I use a CX bike for commuting with FSA and tiagra and dont seem to have these problems.
please let me know your thoughts.
regards
ILG

Comments

• I have similar problems with Ultegra, which can be solved by cleaning the chain and chain rings thoroughly . The trim is to stop rub on the front mech when partially cross-chained.
    I also don't like the sensitivity of the rear shifter on Ultegra and, even after 2 years with it, still find myself double shifting accidentally. I will be returning to 105 on my next bike.
  • I have similar problems with Ultegra, which can be solved by cleaning the chain and chain rings thoroughly . The trim is to stop rub on the front mech when partially cross-chained.
    I also don't like the sensitivity of the rear shifter on Ultegra and, even after 2 years with it, still find myself double shifting accidentally. I will be returning to 105 on my next bike.
    Many thanks for your reply.
    I do clean the chain and chain rings (using squirt at the moment,great product) regularly so i am not so sure it is this .
    Nice (If you know what i mean) that it is not just me, i hear and read great things re Ultegra but i an struggling to justify the extra cost at the moment.
    thanks again
    ILG
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I bet you are talking 10 speed set up - yes?

I find it very fiddly to set up compared to my Ultegra 9 speed, probably because the gaps are smaller due to cramming and extra sprocket in the same space.

Also the hidden cable routing adds friction compared to the exposed routing on the 9 speed which also makes shifting a little less crisp.

I have said it before and I will say it again ANYTHING MORE THAN 9 SPEED IS TOTALLY UNNECESSARY!. :x

I would also add - when changing front rings it is best to ease off the power during the change to aid the shifting and reduce chain throw potential.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    When it's set up correctly 6700 Ultegra will work perfectly, 6600 and 6500 have a lighter and smoother shift than 6700 but the nine speed 6500 is no better than ten speed 6600, the chains seemed to last longer on nine speed though.
    The only issue that I've come across is with the increase in larger cassettes(27,28 etc) the rear shift is nowhere as smooth as a 12/25 or 11/23.
  • Interesting reading chaps, yes it is 10 speed !
    I have a 11-28 on the rear, out of interest , is there a right or wrong gear in which to click from the little to big ring ?
    I do not x chain much so i would not go from 34 x 12 to the big ring, what is the best combination for a smooth change?
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Up up down (2 two up on the back, and then drop big to little on the front).
    My 6700 Ultegra is absolutely flawless so I think setup will just need tweaking. To be fair though it did take a while to get it perfectly, and I did have some initial frustrations with it.
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    smidsy wrote:
    I have said it before and I will say it again ANYTHING MORE THAN 9 SPEED IS TOTALLY UNNECESSARY!. :x.
    :roll: Relentlessly so!
    Its called evolution mate, the sme was probably said by someone that had 7 speed when 9 speed was available.
    Most cycling kit is totally unnecesary, it doesnt mean its no good.
    smidsy wrote:
    I would also add - when changing front rings it is best to ease off the power during the change to aid the shifting and reduce chain throw potential.
    ^^this
    Your drivertrain and wallet will thank you

Matt
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    matt-h wrote:
    Its called evolution mate, the sme was probably said by someone that had 7 speed when 9 speed was available.

No, it probably isn't evolution in any natural sense. Evolution is about things adapting to their circumstances and developing to an optimal state. Technology tends to continue way past optimal - it adapts to circumstances but it also adapts to unthinking hype. You might debate what the optimal number of gears on the back is but I suspect it is less than 11.

I just bought some cassettes for my tourer - I've converted it from 6 speed to 7. 7 speed cassettes cost next to nothing because 8 fit just as well. But it is debateable as to whether there is any real benefit in running my tourer as a 24 speed rather than 21. So, certainly for touring triples, I struggle to see 10 speed as superior to 9 speed even without taking into account the greater durability of 9 speed.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    Rolf F wrote:
    matt-h wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    No, it probably isn't evolution in any natural sense.

Evolution is about things adapting to their circumstances and developing to an optimal state. Technology tends to continue way past optimal - it adapts to circumstances but it also adapts to unthinking hype. You might debate what the optimal number of gears on the back is but I suspect it is less than 11..
    I just bought some cassettes for my tourer - I've converted it from 6 speed to 7. 7 speed cassettes cost next to nothing because 8 fit just as well. But it is debateable as to whether there is any real benefit in running my tourer as a 24 speed rather than 21. So, certainly for touring triples, I struggle to see 10 speed as superior to 9 speed even without taking into account the greater durability of 9 speed.

ev·o·lu·tion
    a. The process of developing.
    b. Gradual development.

i dont understand your comment about a "natural sense" :?

i never said that 11 speed was optimal - its probably 12 :P

i was merely making an observation that SMIDSY constantly slams 10 and 11 speed - i suspect he hasnt used 6800/9000, SR or Chorus to be able to make that opinion valid.

Thats great that 7 spped works for you, and thats whats its all about.
    Sweeping statements are not

I cant be a*sed getting into a keyboard fight over it.
    Said my piece

Matt