Flat saddles and those with a flick at the rear

Serious Cat
Serious Cat Posts: 489
edited November 2013 in Road general
When I refer to flat saddles I am talking about saddles such as Selle SLR, and a saddle with a rear flick being one like a Prologo Scratch . In terms of areas such as comfort and rider position on bike , what do you think are the main differences when it comes to using a flat or flicked saddle ? Im curious as I think I might like the idea of a flat saddle as it would be super easy to level and move around on, on the other hand you can buy a flicked unit like a Fizik Aliante and read an endless list of different ways and suggestions to level it and always be fiddling with it.

Individually which type do you prefer and what reasons would you have for not favouring the other ? The SLR looks like a beautifully simple design to my eyes and if I find a saddle of that type in 143mm width I may be persuaded to give it a try.
This serious internet site..............I serious cat

Comments

• turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    +1 as above ....saddles and setup are very much personal preference....we're not all shaped the same :shock:
    I've run SLR's for years (Flite before that and find them great...not saying there isn't better around but suits me (both road nd mtb use). The slant back gives something to push against when going hard (TT, hill climbing etc) but then needs a little extra tilt to stop throwing me forward....not a big thing and highly recommended saddle
  • turnerjohn wrote:
    +1 as above ....saddles and setup are very much personal preference....we're not all shaped the same :shock:
    I've run SLR's for years (Flite before that and find them great...not saying there isn't better around but suits me (both road nd mtb use). The slant back gives something to push against when going hard (TT, hill climbing etc) but then needs a little extra tilt to stop throwing me forward....not a big thing and highly recommended saddle

Yeah I can dig what you are saying, I cant run a flicked saddle absolutely flat as like you say the rear will slightly push you forward. I set mine with the nose just a hair up to counteract that situation. The flat saddle when perfectly levelled should let you plant your butt without any such foibles, but are there any areas that Im not taking into consideration ?
    This serious internet site..............I serious cat