SRAM Force or Ultegra?

FSR_XC
FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
edited November 2013 in Road general
I'm looking at a new bike. Decided on everything but the group set.

I am swaying towards the SRAM Force 22 (weight, & looks), but having used Shimano (105 - 5600) for the last 4 years, I can't help thinking Ultegra 6800 might be a better choice.

I realise this has probably been asked before (but couldn't see it in a quick search) and there are going to be a lot of people suggesting the group they have, but has anyone got any thoughts on which is best and why?
Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com

Comments

• Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    try the sram and see if you like the shifting, I enjoy using both, some people cant stand it. I prefer the sram shifting once I got used to the half push, it just feels faster. I wouldn't say that the the performance of group set over my 105 bike improved my cycling
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    sa0u823e wrote:
    try the sram and see if you like the shifting, I enjoy using both, some people cant stand it. I prefer the sram shifting once I got used to the half push, it just feels faster. I wouldn't say that the the performance of group set over my 105 bike improved my cycling
    ^^This, I prefer SRAM shifting but IMO overall one groupset is no better than the other.
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    I've been impressed with the new SRAM 22 stuff, but absolutely blown away by the Shimano 6800/9000 for the following reasons:

-Braking performance is incredible, possible even unmatched
    -Shifter ergonomics are improved over 6700/7900
    -The shifting is lighter than anything else out there by a long way (thanks to new polymer cables and other design changes)
    -It looks good (particularly 9000)
    -The front derailleur / shifting makes ever other front shifting mechanism feel like it comes from the dark ages.

I once said I'd always be a SRAM fanboy but having worked with the new Shimano stuff I wouldn't have to think twice now, Shimano every time (despite SRAM being very very good).

The difference between your 5700 and new 6800 will be poles apart :)

Agree with all of this!
    Just changed from 5700 to 6800 and it is immense!

Matt
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Cheers for the quick responses.

my 105 is 5600 btw.

Looks like I need to persuade a LBS to let me try a bike with each group set.

On a slightly different note, do you need a different hub for 11 speed cassettes?
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com