Co2 Cartridges

Jules Winnfield
Jules Winnfield Posts: 299
edited November 2013 in Road general
Ive just ordered a Lezyne Trigger Drive Co2 pump from fleabay.....

trigger_drive_co2_blk.jpg

Obviously i need more spare cartridges but i cant seem to find anywhere that sells the Lezyne ones, i know Wiggle did sell them, but they say they are now unavailable. So am i safe in using any other Co2 cartridge even though they will not be the Lezyne ones.

Cheers folks.
Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set

Comments

  • They don't have to be Lezyne ones, though Lezyne, like Innovations will try and scare you off. Try this:

    http://www.tyreinflators.co.uk/index.ph ... t&catId=22
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Standard threaded cartridges - they are all the same
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    All cartridges are standard in terms of thread size and fitment.

    However, can someone advise in terms of experience - I have my pressure at around 100-110 psi on 23mm/24mm tyres. I use cartridges but usually find they only get to 70 psi. Gets me home, but never feels great. Does anyone else use 25mm cartidges to get the pressure up further or will I end up trashing my rims/inner tubes?
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    Loads of online stores sell them.

    I bought some from Evans recently.

    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/lez ... 3godFzUAWQ
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I bought my lifetime's supply (box of 30) from an online leisure supplies co, £17 for a box of 30. They're the same thing, just that if the manufacturers put them in blister packs of 3 they can sell them in bike shops as advanced cycling equipment and flog them for eight quid a pop.

    It's been batted around here before, but tyres inflated with Co2 don't retain the pressure for as long; to do with molecular structures and diffusion of Co2 at a faster rate than plain vanilla air. Use Co2 to get you home, then when you have a few minutes spare let the tyre down and blow it up with a pump.
  • 16g will get your pressure up also

    dont bother with 12g ones

    well i dont anyway
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

    http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • I use these which get me up to 110-120psi no problem, using that same Lezyne inflator.

    http://www.tyreinflators.co.uk/index.ph ... category=2

    Remember to deflate the tyre fully and pump back up as normal once you get home.
  • Cheers for all the replies guys, there have been some really useful tips and links. I will defo order a 'lifetime' box of 30 from tyre inflators very soon.
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • Added some of the Lezyne ones into my Wiggle basket along with the actual pump part however, Wiggle says they won't post these in the UK??

    Anyone else had issues getting these delivered?

    Mick
  • Added some of the Lezyne ones into my Wiggle basket along with the actual pump part however, Wiggle says they won't post these in the UK??

    Anyone else had issues getting these delivered?

    Mick

    They did for me
  • kwi
    kwi Posts: 181
    Royal Mail recently updated their list of prohibited items, could be a knock on effect from that.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028

    Remember to deflate the tyre fully and pump back up as normal once you get home.

    Why?
  • kwi wrote:
    Royal Mail recently updated their list of prohibited items, could be a knock on effect from that.


    Well thats sh$#te.......hate Royal Mail.

    Cheers for the info though.
  • ju5t1n wrote:

    Remember to deflate the tyre fully and pump back up as normal once you get home.

    Why?
    CiB wrote:
    It's been batted around here before, but tyres inflated with Co2 don't retain the pressure for as long; to do with molecular structures and diffusion of Co2 at a faster rate than plain vanilla air. Use Co2 to get you home, then when you have a few minutes spare let the tyre down and blow it up with a pump.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • kwi wrote:
    Royal Mail recently updated their list of prohibited items, could be a knock on effect from that.

    Thats true, i asked the lads from Ribble why i couldnt buy canisters online and they said it was all down to Royal mail.
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • kwi wrote:
    Royal Mail recently updated their list of prohibited items, could be a knock on effect from that.

    Thats true, i asked the lads from Ribble why i couldnt buy canisters online and they said it was all down to Royal mail.

    It must be UK legislation for all couriers and not just Royal Mail as all the usual online stores that offer alternative postage have stopped selling them. Quite annoying really!
  • Sorry if this is an obvious / silly question but if a 16g cartridge will inflate to 130 psi and your tube / tyre max is 110/120 psi, how do you know when you are about to go too far?
  • kwi wrote:
    Royal Mail recently updated their list of prohibited items, could be a knock on effect from that.

    Thats true, i asked the lads from Ribble why i couldnt buy canisters online and they said it was all down to Royal mail.

    It must be UK legislation for all couriers and not just Royal Mail as all the usual online stores that offer alternative postage have stopped selling them. Quite annoying really!

    Still loads for sale on eBay.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    mattyarse wrote:
    Sorry if this is an obvious / silly question but if a 16g cartridge will inflate to 130 psi and your tube / tyre max is 110/120 psi, how do you know when you are about to go too far?
    Mainly guesswork, and opening the Co2 valve enough to get the gas in without dumping it all in one go. It helps to know what a tyre feels like inflated to your PSI so that you can tell by feel. It's not the end of the world if you're 10 or 15 pounds out and you won't blow it up if you put too much in, unless you're running cheapo paper thin tyres.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Personally I use the 12g ones because the only blow to 90 psi when you combine this with the 10 psi or so from a hand pump whilst fitting a road side repair it works perfect for me, unless you pinch a tube :?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • kwi
    kwi Posts: 181
    CiB wrote:
    It helps to know what a tyre feels like inflated to your PSI so that you can tell by feel.

    You must have hands like silk as most people can't tell the difference at anything over 2 Bar (29PSI).
  • CiB wrote:
    mattyarse wrote:
    Sorry if this is an obvious / silly question but if a 16g cartridge will inflate to 130 psi and your tube / tyre max is 110/120 psi, how do you know when you are about to go too far?
    Mainly guesswork, and opening the Co2 valve enough to get the gas in without dumping it all in one go. It helps to know what a tyre feels like inflated to your PSI so that you can tell by feel. It's not the end of the world if you're 10 or 15 pounds out and you won't blow it up if you put too much in, unless you're running cheapo paper thin tyres.

    Cheers - I thought as much but wondered if I was missing the flaming obvious somehow!
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    I use a Unich CO2 Injector Pro Tyre Inflator Pump, use the 16 gram cartridge in my saddle bag,

    The big pump at home for normal maintenance though cannot be without one of those.
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    IME the 12g ones inflate well above 90psi, above 100psi the ones I use anyway. The extra gas in a 16g is not needed and with either of the two when you get home you'd leak the gas out and throw it away as who would want to ride round with a mostly used canister anyway. The 12g ones have less diameter so is worth it if you want to carry a couple and have limited space.

    Telling the difference with your thumb of when a tyre is at the right ballpark pressure is easy if you have pressed your thumb into enough tyres over the years too. If you can't tell the difference between 29psi and 90-100psi you are probably doing it while hanging your tongue outside of your mouth and will be reading this while dragging one finger along the screen.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    mfin wrote:
    Telling the difference with your thumb of when a tyre is at the right ballpark pressure is easy if you have pressed your thumb into enough tyres over the years too. If you can't tell the difference between 29psi and 90-100psi you are probably doing it while hanging your tongue outside of your mouth and will be reading this while dragging one finger along the screen.
    See I didn't want to say that out loud as I thought maybe kwi might have misinterpreted my post; thanks for doing it for me, even though you were a bit more restrained than my first (and 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc) drafts were. :lol:
  • kwi
    kwi Posts: 181
    Your thumb isn't an accurate device, I used to think it was 'good enough' until I actually got a pressure gauge and was surprised by how often I was quite a bit under and how inconsistent I was. That's my experience.
    And yes it may 'get you home' but then dumping a whole 12g cylinder into a tyre will as well.
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    I believe another cheap source of these canisters is from paintball accessories retailers.

    They use these canisters in the guns.

    Such as

    http://www.bzpaintball.co.uk/product.ph ... 3godJS8AaA
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I pump my tyres up firstly with the pump to about 60 psi (it makes pushing the Co2 thingy on a lot easier) and then inflate the tyre nice n hard with a 16g CO2 to finish off. Thumb pressure works fine, I just want to tyre harder than the pump will get it, and only to get me home.

    This way I reckon I use about 1/2 a cannister. Useful if I or someone else gets another puncture.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    kwi wrote:
    Your thumb isn't an accurate device, I used to think it was 'good enough' until I actually got a pressure gauge and was surprised by how often I was quite a bit under and how inconsistent I was.
    Yes it is. I can gauge roughly 85psi and below on mine, which is all that matters. Does it need more? Yes. Or no, in which case add more. It doesn't need to be scientifically precise, just somewhere close. Thumbs can do that after a few years. And didn't we all spend years using the thumb as a guide before everything had to be done with proper gear anyway?

    :)