Tyre Deal!!!

marshy01uk
marshy01uk Posts: 378
edited November 2013 in Road general
Got to share this for those who haven't seen it. 2 x Conti tyres + 2 x inner tubes, different colours for £19.99!!!
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/ZXC ... yre_bundle
Spend a penny more and it's free postage too
Winter/Training: Trek 1.9
TT: Planet X Stealth Pro with extra carbon bling!
MTB: Trek Fuel EX6 + GIANT XTC 29er
Race: LOOK 595
Fixie: Dolan
http://www.bmycharity.com/AberfeldyMidd ... eTriathlon

Comments

• meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    That is a good deal, but I wanted 25mm.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    I use the same tyres on my fixie. They're pretty basic but they're round and made of rubber so sufficient for the purpose. Definitely not for the nice bike.
  • I too was looking for 25's however at that price it's a steal and they are going straight onto my winter bike. As for only good for the turbo I guess with every bike, component and accessory opinion's are always quite subjective....(http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-ult ... road-tyre/). I have used these before and were as good as Ultremo ZX's in fact better as the Conti's have never blown a sidewall as have two of my Ultremos. That said I'm sure there are people who will swear by them.
    Winter/Training: Trek 1.9
    TT: Planet X Stealth Pro with extra carbon bling!
    MTB: Trek Fuel EX6 + GIANT XTC 29er
    Race: LOOK 595
    Fixie: Dolan
    http://www.bmycharity.com/AberfeldyMidd ... eTriathlon
  • But Ultremos are shyyyyt. Fact.

The P/X ones are budget tyres in a budget deal - they do what they say on the tin.

I'd run them on the winter bike with no worries saving the decent stuff for summer.
  • fuddymox
    fuddymox Posts: 384
    Ultremo's shyte? Definitely not. Well, not if this frankly ludicrous review from December's Cycling Plus magazine is to be believed-

"The Ultremo always delivers a slight tailwind effect on the road, and our testing backs this up with seriously low wattage readings from a power meter".

So there you have it folks, conclusive proof. :lol:
  • I'm not actually sure what that review means (so they make you go faster but you give are making less power?) but my pair split apart after 100 miles and there are huge threads on here about how rubbish they are (they all do the same - ie split apart).

Pro Race if you want that sort of thing otherwise go tubular for a race tyre.
  • fuddymox
    No mate, I don't know what it means either, but some crazy claims are made in that magazine of the supposed benefits of using a certain frame or component. 'Seriously low wattage'- as Gran from the Katherine Tate show would say, "What a load of old sh1t".
  • fuddymox
    They just mean it's a fast tyre, not that hard to understand! Mine didn't split apart, and were very good. I still prefer Contis but the Ultremos were good, and comparing them with UltraSport tyres is like comparing an F1 car with a Fiat Panda.
    Of course I know what they mean, and I don't doubt for a minute that they are a very good racing tyre but come on, 'slight tailwind and seriously low wattage'- exageration, much?
  • They just mean it's a fast tyre, not that hard to understand! Mine didn't split apart, and were very good. I still prefer Contis but the Ultremos were good, and comparing them with UltraSport tyres is like comparing an F1 car with a Fiat Panda.

And no one is denying that.

The Contis are a winter budget tyre in a winter budget deal - I presume that you are now going to point out that the tubes are cheapo ones and not latex racin' speedin' fastin' ones .....

And no - Ultremos are rubbish. Really rubbish. Which is why they had recalls on them and then they started coming out in the dirt cheap deals. Because they are rubbish. And overpriced.
  • Good deal, but those tyres are only really good enough for the turbo

+1.

I have a stack in my garage that came with bikes and were very quickly swapped out for something with a modicum of resistance to punctures.
  • Very - opinionated, experienced, fast and knowledgeable. Its a wonderful combination that only a few of us have: fearful to those who don't. But I'm not going to go pointing fingers at those who don't. They can do that themselves without even knowing it.

Ultremos are rubbish. To paraphrase Bros: Ultremos are rubbish, rubbish, rubbish, rubbish.

Oh - no need to bring JC into it either.
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    For 20 sheets got to worth a punt...not a racing Tyre but would make a reasonable training Tyre IMO
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    They just mean it's a fast tyre, not that hard to understand! Mine didn't split apart, and were very good. I still prefer Contis but the Ultremos were good, and comparing them with UltraSport tyres is like comparing an F1 car with a Fiat Panda.

The Contis are a winter budget tyre in a winter budget deal - I presume that you are now going to point out that the tubes are cheapo ones and not latex racin' speedin' fastin' ones .....

And no - Ultremos are rubbish. Really rubbish. Which is why they had recalls on them and then they started coming out in the dirt cheap deals. Because they are rubbish. And overpriced.

Jesus Christ how opinionated do they come?

Well, you're doing well for someone who's 18 :)

(it's good to have opinions on things though and to add to the debate, just got to balance opinions against definitives really. It's all good fun.)
  • mfin wrote:

Well, you're doing well for someone who's 18 :)

(it's good to have opinions on things though and to add to the debate, just got to balance opinions against definitives really. It's all good fun.)

And generally, after a while, people start to realise that my opinion is right.
  • rob21 wrote:
    For 20 sheets got to worth a punt...not a racing Tyre but would make a reasonable training Tyre IMO

I agree. Its basically what that John Clark dude said above but its good to see someone agree with him.

Ernest
  • mfin
    And generally, after a while, people start to realise that my opinion is right.

Well, you're not right about all Ultremos being rubbish, some people will have had no bad experience of them at all.
    Although it sounds like you will answer that they are all rubbish rubbish rubbish and all have exploded as they are rubbish :) ...I think you should have your own reviews section!
  • That's a brilliant idea - I am going to do just that down in B/B.

Please can everyone post things would like me to review - generally cycling based but I'll basically do anything (oooeeerrrr).

If they're good, they will get a good review, if they are bad they will get a bad review.

Oh - Ultermos: shyyyyte. Beyond shyyyte for how much they cost.

Ernest
  • mfin
    That's a brilliant idea - I am going to do just that down in B/B.

Please can everyone post things would like me to review - generally cycling based but I'll basically do anything (oooeeerrrr).

If they're good, they will get a good review, if they are bad they will get a bad review.

Oh - Ultermos: shyyyyte. Beyond shyyyte for how much they cost.

Ernest

Naa, don't bother, you aren't funny and you don't seem to know diddly-squat about much

:)
  • Are you sure? Its just that I was reading your posts and thought that if you set the bar in intellectual standards in your oubliette that I was going to have to introduce you to my cat so you could chat to someone who was only slightly of a higher conversational plane rather than embarrassing you by having my 4 year old son talk down to you.

Oh well, never mind. Carry on stacking those shelves - Iceland must be busy with your family stocking up for Christmas day.

Not sure if it's just me but I get the impression you're either an intensely rude and dislikable bloke or just a troll. Ah well, keep doing what you're doing, better to take your anger out on here than on some poor old lady in the street :roll:

Luke, old ladies bite back in Cambridge if you read the front of the Evening News today.
  • Are you sure? Its just that I was reading your posts and thought that if you set the bar in intellectual standards in your oubliette that I was going to have to introduce you to my cat so you could chat to someone who was only slightly of a higher conversational plane rather than embarrassing you by having my 4 year old son talk down to you.

Oh well, never mind. Carry on stacking those shelves - Iceland must be busy with your family stocking up for Christmas day.

Not sure if it's just me but I get the impression you're either an intensely rude and dislikable bloke or just a troll. Ah well, keep doing what you're doing, better to take your anger out on here than on some poor old lady in the street :roll:

Thank you!
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470

I've only heard of problems with Ultremos. I know quite a few people who used to use them but have been put off by constant cuts and punctures. Someone else I know was in a crit and his rear Ultremo randomly exploded on the last lap resulting in some very nasty road rash and a ruined Cosmic wheel.

Yes, they may be faster than other tyres, but what use is that when they explode or get shredded? I'd much rather have a considerably higher chance of actually finishing a race than having a tiny advantage in speed.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Now for a serious user comment on Ultremos.
    Just in case there's someone out there who's never tried them and may have been put off by some bollox forum talk.

I've used Ultremos now for the past four years as have five of a group of seven that ride together. Personally never had a puncture in the last 2 years despite riding 2/3 times a week winter and summer rain or shine, of the other guys on Ultremos 2 punctures in that time, of the other tyre users one guy on contis had 3 punctures on a recent c2c ride (i did notice he ran at 120+ psi i tend to run at 90psi.

Ultremos are either prone to or show flint cuts/nicks more than other tyres. I have had same tyres on since March with cuts/nicks in but have had no problems so far. 6 weeks ago noticed a bleb on rear tyre, as they're past there best, will keep riding them/checking them until i buy some more Ultremos. Simple fact re tyres/punctures is you can be unlucky, punctures happen, you may be unfortunate and get a poorly manufactured regardless of manufacturer.

So for anyone contemplating Ultremos, one very satisfied long time user of Ultremos saying go for it, you may be disappointed, but on the other hand it may be the best tyre choice you'ver ever made.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    There was a recall on a bad batch of Ultremos 2 or 3 years ago. It could be that there's still some dodgy stock about causing the negative reviews. :)