The whatever footie that's going on (with actual fans) thread

Comments

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I think the top 4 will be as is, the order may change slightly but I wouldn't be surprised if it is exactly as it is now. United have a tough run in but they seem to have hit some form.

I think if Arsenal get automatic qualification for the champions league and not 4th like normal that will help them next season, they usually have the qualifiers to bother with at the start of the season and have to wait to be sure of CL before making big signings. If they can sort a few decent players out early in the summer and carry this form over to next year they might do well. Having said that, they will have their usual 10 game blip and probably end up 3rd or 4th again with a run in one of the cups.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,776
    tim wand wrote:
    Who can city realistically buy? especially if they don't finish in the top four.

Could we flog them some more Players? Wiltshire has been mooted and my jury is out on Ozil, do you think they d fall for it twice?
    Not sure they will get the top notch players they need to replace an ageing squad with FFP around - assuming they haven't already fallen foul of it.

Anyway, butt out because we want to sell them more of our rejects :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bluedog99
    bluedog99 Posts: 183
    tim wand wrote:
    How much can they spend. Financial Fair Play and the home grown rule has got to kick in soon?

I used to think FFP was that a club could not substantially spend more than it actually generated as a business. I.E run at a massive deficit .

Last time Citee got round this , by having a massive operating debt, but the Sheiks brother sponsored the club ( Emirates Airlines) by a sum in excess of these losses , therefore the books balanced.

Nowadays I think the rules have changed. Arent Barca facing a transfer Embargo next year? for none compliance to FFP.

Who can city realistically buy? especially if they don't finish in the top four.

Could we flog them some more Players? Wiltshire has been mooted and my jury is out on Ozil, do you think they d fall for it twice?
    Books are balanced. Big summer spend coming for the blues, not one penny of debt are we servicing. The home grown rule, just a pipe dream of Dyke, who has had to return the £14 grand watch given to him by some bent football official. Pogba ,Sterling , De Bryune, Barkley and Ward Prowse on the radar.
    Rourke 853 Team Pro Custom.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Pogba in would mean Ya Ya out. Barkley has still got a lot to prove. Sterling wont stay in the North and Ward Prowse isn't exactly a signing to set the world on fire.

I d take Pogba. any team in the world would. If I Were you id be more worried about Aghero going to Spain, cant see him not wanting to play champions league at his stage of his career. :D

You need to sort out who the manager is first. Any signings need to be his, and those signings need to know who they are playing for.
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    I don't think we should assume Pellegrini is going to be sacked.

If Man City finish outside the top 4 it should be a certainty. Fail to get automatic champions league spot makes it somewhat more likely. But as things stand I think he has at least some chance of keeping his job.

When they sacked Mancini it wasn't just because he didn't secure the league. I might be wrong but I think there's only one manager city would want and he says he's staying at least another year in Munich.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • Stevo_666
    :)

10422545_822107481159482_5533577160870574842_n.jpg?oh=da94909e23f26ac3d18c4109decf2fc0&oe=55A78A0F&__gda__=1440952401_db044d7767a4574a411762a3c59356d0
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Different manager, same problem...

mancitytrans.jpg
  • Stevo_666
    :D

13094_821557891214441_1568482370749875485_n.jpg?oh=35c43edd6a024a01e24264d0018ae204&oe=55A99908
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    TurboTommy wrote:
    I don't think we should assume Pellegrini is going to be sacked.

Mancini got sacked a year after winning the league with City. Pellegrini is now in the exact same situation.

No team that sacks a manager that won them the league only one season ago deserves to win anything anyway. I hope they do sack Pellegrini, because he is capable of getting them to win the league again.

City are like Liverpool, they just throw it away for themselves or as I call it "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory". :lol:

"This does not fuccchen slip" lol.

The only time Gerrard impressed me was years and years ago when he used to do those through balls to Owen and even then it was because Owen scored a goal at the end of it. Odd times Gerrard cracked one in like that Southampton one. Apart from those two times he is just a good midfielder, you never heard of any clubs putting in offers for him, Real Madrid never came asking or whatever. Scousers just revere the guy because they have not got anyone else to revere. :roll:
  • turbotommy
    I could respond in more length to your post manc but I think I'd be doing myself a disservice...

Either you're completely ill informed on every subject you talk about, desperate for attention, or a combination of the two...

Either way, carry on
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • Manc33
    TurboTommy wrote:
    I could respond in more length to your post manc but I think I'd be doing myself a disservice...

Either you're completely ill informed on every subject you talk about, desperate for attention, or a combination of the two...

Either way, carry on

Do you support Liverpool?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,118
    I think Henderson has the potential to supersede Gerard.

Scousers don't revere Sturridge?!
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Manc33
    I think Henderson has the potential to supersede Gerard.

Scousers don't revere Sturridge?!

They haven't had a legendary player of the modern era like we had Cantona, Beckham and CR7. You've got to go back to Rush and Dalgliesh. Suarez was doing really well, until they flogged him.
  • turbotommy
    Comparing one player to another is subjective, as is one person declaring someone a "legend". Maybe it's a lot easier to become a legend in your book if you are surrounded by top class players?

I'd argue that if Ronaldo is a legend he's more likely to be considered one for Madrid... Seeing as he left Man U in his early twenties after spending two years trying to engineer a move out of there, and has since given his best yeas to Madrid. Beckham? A player always more interested in his own image than the team, also engineered a move away and in most people's opinion not even the best player in the team. Much easier replaced than scholes or Keane have been.

Gerrard barring the odd wobble is a one club man. A local lad, and loved by his supportes for it. Played most of his career in second rate teams having to try to drag them along with him. If you don't think you've seen a performance out of him watch Gerard vs Milan in the champions league final... Watch some YouTube clips... Read any number of top top pros or top managers saying how much they'd love to have played or managed him... Ask Liverpool supporters how they feel about Robbie fowler... If you want to talk about legends you have to look further than the trophy cabinet and actually watch football.

You seem very biased manc. Beyond being a Man U fan do you actually watch football or get your opinions through the back pages?
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • Manc33
    Gerrard was no better at running a game than Beckham that time against Greece.

Whoever the #1 guy is at any club is always going to be their most "legendary" player however skilled or unskilled he might be compared to other players. The fact that there might be several other clubs with players that won more medals doesn't seem to matter.
  • turbotommy
    "Gerrard was no better at running a game than beckham" does that mean they're on the same level? Yet Gerard according to your original post is an ordinary player? Who only impressed you a couple of times? And beckham a legend? Oops see what just happened there manc?

Beckham spent his whole career trying to convince his club managers he was capable of playing in central midfield. How'd that work out for him manc?... Gerrard has spent most of his career bossing central midfield...

Like I said, comparing two players, even from the same era is often personal opinion. But your so ill informed manc. And you seem to constantly make completely bizarre statements with 100% conviction. There's a part of me that is actually quite intrigued as to what your like in real life. Do your friends have a simular mindset to you?
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • Manc33
    TurboTommy wrote:
    "Gerrard was no better at running a game than beckham" does that mean they're on the same level?

No.
    TurboTommy wrote:
    Yet Gerard according to your original post is an ordinary player?

Didn't say this. I said he isn't a legendary player.
    TurboTommy wrote:
    Who only impressed you a couple of times? And beckham a legend? Oops see what just happened there manc?

No.
    TurboTommy wrote:
    Beckham spent his whole career trying to convince his club managers he was capable of playing in central midfield.

Proof?
    TurboTommy wrote:
    How'd that work out for him manc?... Gerrard has spent most of his career bossing central midfield...

Oh yeah he looked like a boss slipping up against Ba and he looked every bit a legend when stamping on a Man United player recently.
    TurboTommy wrote:
    Like I said, comparing two players, even from the same era is often personal opinion.

Or we could just look at the medals and trophies they won as a rough indication.
    TurboTommy wrote:
    But your so ill informed manc. And you seem to constantly make completely bizarre statements with 100% conviction. There's a part of me that is actually quite intrigued as to what your like in real life. Do your friends have a simular mindset to you?

Nope, you take what I have said and change it like claiming I said Gerrard was ordinary. If he was, Liverpool would have dropped him a long time ago.
  • turbotommy
    Manc33 wrote:
    The only time Gerrard impressed me was years and years ago when he used to do those through balls to Owen and even then it was because Owen scored a goal at the end of it. Odd times Gerrard cracked one in like that Southampton one. Apart from those two times he is just a good midfielder, you never heard of any clubs putting in offers for him

im really trying to say this in a nice way but I'm finding it testing to say the least. You obviously feel it's more important to never admit your wrong than actually have a normal debate. It's a trait normally assosiated with adolescence but I guess there's an exception to every rule...

When I first started reading your posts I thought they were funny but now it all just seems a bit tragic...Since getting into this bs with you I've been directed towards your posts in the conspiracy theory thread and I just hope for your sake you are just entertaining yourself. Because if you really believe what you are posting I really pity you...

I won't respond to you anymore manc. I came here originally to get bike related advice and that's what I'll go back to. I hope you take this as a victory of sorts as I don't imagine you get to feel success very often

Good luck
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • tim_wand
    Play nicely boys!!! By its very nature football is Tribal and few if any of us can be objective about our chosen team, or those who pull a shirt on for it.

I m a gooner through and through and would poor scorn from the terraces every single time I see Gerrard or Giggs play, but Its out of a hidden respect in knowing just how much damage those players could do to my side.

One club players such as Giggs , Scholes, Gerrard are a rarity in todays game and deserve Legend status beyond their respective clubs.

There are few (make that no) current players who would stay with a club and fight to improve it as Gerrard has , putting their own personal glory aside . ( Just look at the Sterling situation)

I obviously hope we smash any opposition in the F.A cup, but If we do loose it to anyone , I certainly wouldn't begrudge too much seeing Steven Gerrard holding it aloft at Wembley in his final game in this Country.
  • pinno
    edited April 2015
    TurboTommy wrote:
    Manc33 wrote:
    The only time Gerrard impressed me was years and years ago when he used to do those through balls to Owen and even then it was because Owen scored a goal at the end of it. Odd times Gerrard cracked one in like that Southampton one. Apart from those two times he is just a good midfielder, you never heard of any clubs putting in offers for him

im really trying to say this in a nice way but I'm finding it testing to say the least. You obviously feel it's more important to never admit your wrong than actually have a normal debate. It's a trait normally assosiated with adolescence but I guess there's an exception to every rule...

When I first started reading your posts I thought they were funny but now it all just seems a bit tragic...Since getting into this bs with you I've been directed towards your posts in the conspiracy theory thread and I just hope for your sake you are just entertaining yourself. Because if you really believe what you are posting I really pity you...

I won't respond to you anymore manc. I came here originally to get bike related advice and that's what I'll go back to. I hope you take this as a victory of sorts as I don't imagine you get to feel success very often

Good luck

No No. As proprietor of this thread, I urge you to set manc33 as a 'foe' in user settings and come back to talk footy. You won't be able to see his posts.
  • turbotommy
    I couldn't agree more Tim as much as it pains me to admit it. As, contrary to the impression I may have given in my previous posts, I'm a North London boy and therefore a yid through and through! :D

I'd just like to give myself enough credit to acknowledge class when I see it. Obviously there are exceptions to this rule :wink:
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • pinno
    It's good that you support Tottenham. Always below us :wink:

You're going to have a hard job holding on to Citizen Kane.
  • tim_wand
    You ve seen Class. Plenty of it down the lane over the years.

Ardilles, Villa, Waddle and Hoddle, Gascoigne, Ginola, De Foe, Klinsmann . Sheringham, Berbatov Erikson and Bale . and of Course Cambell. They always said he d never win the title at White Hart Lane! How wrong they were :D

The best players I ve ever seen Live, Cantona, Henry, Bergkamp, Zidane, Ronaldo, Bale and Gazza ( at Lazio)
    I d probably put Zidane at the top of that lot.
  • turbotommy
    I guess it's just a matter of time if he continues scoring goals anywhere near the rate he is at the moment. I'd be surprised if it was this summer though. I think it would take a big lump of dough for us to sell him. And maybe this summer would be too soon for one of the big boys to want to invest so much in someone who is relatively unproven still.

Next summer maybe... ? Maybe if loyalty counts for anything a year after that?
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • Manc33
    I'd put Gazza at the top of English players going back at least 25 years.

Now that guy is a legend. We didn't see even half of what we should have seen of him. :(
  • Stevo_666
    It's good that you support Tottenham. Always below us :wink:.
    And us :)
  • turbotommy
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    It's good that you support Tottenham. Always below us :wink:.
    And us :)

Haha! Yeah yeah... Spurs, perennial under achievers... Although I don't suppose it is underacheivement really thinking about it. Getting anything more than we do would be a major over achievement :(

Some list of players you put together there Tim! I've been lucky enough to see most of those play too. Minus the first four and zidane. Would of loved to of seen zidane, in my opinion the best of his generation by some way and deserves to be mentioned when discussing the all time greats.

Thinking of the best players I've ever seen at the lane I think drogba really deserves a mention. He's not as technically gifted as many other Chelsea players you could mention but at his best he was unplayable. At full pace he went like anything going in the grand national this weekend and central defenders used to $h!t themselves when he came at them.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • Stevo_666
    As is traditional, I'm nominating my small, unfashionable club to support this weekend and it has to be City :mrgreen: Actually, only kidding it's Burnley. A Manc derby draw will do nicely ta.
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    As is traditional, I'm nominating my small, unfashionable club to support this weekend and it has to be City :mrgreen: Actually, only kidding it's Burnley. A Manc derby draw will do nicely ta.

I don't think whatever happens in the Derby will effect Chelsea now. City's battle now is top 3 for me. I wouldn't want to finish 4th and have to play a qualifier :|

Can't say I'm looking forward to Sunday, tbh!
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • Stevo_666
    TBH I don't think Sunday will be a walk in the park for us either. QPR always play their little socks off against Chelsea and they see it as a West London derby. Chelsea's away record against QPR is really not very good - we'll need to be at our game strangling best :)