Accident

2»

Comments

• cattytown wrote:
    I was always under the impression that incidents involving injury needed to be reported to the police, regardless of exchanging details. While that link seems to counter that I would still be tempted to report the incident to the police to avoid any repercussions should it turn awkward later.

Get checked out, inform the police.

Paul.
    +1 think i'd do this to,things have a habit of going t1ts up in situations like this.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    philthy3 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    I will never understand with bike accidents where the driver is at fault why someone would trust to luck that the insurance details are correct. Calls need to be made. If at the time you can make the calls, do it, but if you're in shock, which you could well be, first note the number plate in case the person drives off, then ask for witnesses details and ask if they might hang around, then call the police.

If you do all that, you should be alright. I wouldn't be doing it if you're not really hurt and there's no damage to the bike though. In my experience the police are quite happy to attend the scene of an accident, plus, they have to. Police may be short on resources but there's plenty of people calling them out for far far less than road accidents where someone is hurt and there is fault.

There's several points in that post that are incorrect. The police do not have to attend all RTCs. If the relevant documents have been produced (see sec 170 of the RTA) there is no need to call the police or for it to be reported to them by the driver as the legislation has been complied with. If an allegation is being made or it is a serious injury, then yes call them. Just because some other numpty wastes the police time doesn't mean you have the right to just because you judge your waste of time less incumbent than anyone else's. When you read through the posts on here about actual reported RTCs, thefts etc and the injured party moaning because the OIC hasn't got back to them, maybe it's because someone has called them to an RTC unnecessarily diverting them from the investigation yet again and delaying due process for the victim.

Fact is, even if you are correct in the details then I doubt that a lot of people that are in some good degree of shock can remember many intricacies so it's got to be better for them to stick to a simple plan that they can remember and follow.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    @colin...no, not everyone!
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    @colin...no, not everyone!

Name names!
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles