Stages DA 7900 or 9000 arm.....?

bartersb
bartersb Posts: 63
edited November 2013 in Road general
I have a dilema. I plan to get a stages power meter crank arm. I currently have a DA 7900 group set. Do I go for the 7900 crank arm knowing that in the future I am bound to upgrade to DA 9000 group set? Think the DA9000 crank arm would look out of place on a DA7900 chain set?

Another option would be just to sell the DA 7900 chain set & buy a DA 9000 one & therefore buy a Stages DA9000 arm. Assume there are no compatibility issues with running the DA 9000 chain set as the only part of an otherwise 7900 group?

If you read what this guy says it seems that upgrading to DA 9000 chain & cables alone can make a huge improvement to 7900 shifting performance!

http://biketestreviews.com/shimano-cn-9 ... eed-group/

Comments

• Much of the better shifting performance is from the totally redesigned front derailleur. Chain, OK maybe, I used a 9000 one and it felt fine, nothing groundbreaking there, and yes the new cables do help a bit.

But I don't think the crankset has any major impact.
  • To be honest the chain set upgrade is driven around which stages power meter arm to buy. If I buy 7900 it seems a bit obsolete immediately given if I buy a new bike etc in future it will be DA9000 or even if I want to sell it will people really want a 7900 crank arm?
  • motd2k
    motd2k Posts: 71
    It's NDS so it's almost entirely cosmetic - get whichever you prefer.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    With the DA crank arm it's crazy money for a power guessing device. Why not buy a proper power meter such as a Power2max instead?
    More problems but still living....
  • bartersb wrote:
    If you read what this guy says it seems that upgrading to DA 9000 chain & cables alone can make a huge improvement to 7900 shifting performance!

http://biketestreviews.com/shimano-cn-9 ... eed-group/

That guy is the owner of the online shop mentioned. Blogs of that nature are bound to be biased... if you find a less than enthusiastic review about a product he stocks, I might even believe what he says...
    Reading through the chain article I can smell bullxxit, sorry...
    left the forum March 2023
  • I think the Stages power meter is a brilliant idea and at half the price of a SRM well worthwhile.

If you look at dcrainmaker his review gives it a very good rating. On the basis that most people are reasonably equal between legs then Stages is ideal. Add in ANT and Bluetooth and it is almost perfect.

If you are definitely going to get 9000 in shortly I would get the 9000 version otherwise get the 7900
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    The assumption that most people are reasonably equal between legs is not a sound assumption.

Stages is less than half the price of an SRM but similar in price to other proper power meters.
    More problems but still living....
  • amaferanga wrote:
    The assumption that most people are reasonably equal between legs is not a sound assumption.

:roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    Much of the better shifting performance is from the totally redesigned front derailleur. Chain, OK maybe, I used a 9000 one and it felt fine, nothing groundbreaking there, and yes the new cables do help a bit.

But I don't think the crankset has any major impact.

Shimano have completely changed the every single tooth profile on the 9000 including the small ring. Nothing is the same. They must have their reasons for doing so, perhaps reduced friction and possibly less machining costs.
    Other changes from 7900 are narrower chain pitch, narrower ring spacing, stamped rather than machined cut-outs and a different type of alloy.

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12947694