Bargain Gator Skins

jagx400
jagx400 Posts: 132
edited November 2013 in Road general
Check the Halfords website for the Gator Skins. £18.89 this weekend. I just paid £51 for 2.......Bummer

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_242553

Comments

• 20.99 now same as from wiggle plus you usually get a free little bag of sweets
  • tubbs_214 wrote:
    20.99 now same as from wiggle plus you usually get a free little bag of sweets
    You get an extra 10% off this weekend though - you need to add them to the basket for this to show up I think...so still cheaper at halfords
  • balls i only got some on tuesday never mind
  • I reserved a pair at my local store on Friday, had a call to say they didn't have stock and it was a computer glitch. No stock in any other store worth driving too :(
    Carrera Fury for the muddy stuff
    Boardman Road Team for the black stuff
    PDQ for the TT stuff
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    hmmm, I usually go for Michelin pro race 4 endurance, how would these compare is rolling resistance, grip and p***ture protection?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They are £17.95 each if you buy a pair.
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    hmmm, I usually go for Michelin pro race 4 endurance, how would these compare is rolling resistance, grip and p***ture protection?

They are just as bad... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Why do people rate this tyre for winter.? Paper side walls and rubber that cuts like playdoh. They are poor imo.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Gator skin Hardshells also on offer, interesting....
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Overlord2 wrote:
    Why do people rate this tyre for winter.? Paper side walls and rubber that cuts like playdoh. They are poor imo.

Because they know no better and think that Gatorskin are tough tyres...
  • so whats a better option for the winter??

currently on gp 4 seasons
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211

I don't think any of the road tyres on the market is adequate for typical british winter.
    My ideas on the matter are summarised here

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... nter-tyres
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Overlord2 wrote:
    Why do people rate this tyre for winter.? Paper side walls and rubber that cuts like playdoh. They are poor imo.

Because they know no better and think that Gatorskin are tough tyres...

I have Gator Hardshells and they have been great. Done over 10,000 miles on them with only 1 puncture so far.

A little vague in the wet but you ride to the conditions :wink:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:
    I have Gator Hardshells and they have been great. Done over 10,000 miles on them with only 1 puncture so far.

A little vague in the wet but you ride to the conditions :wink:

10,000 miles.. yeah right... :lol:
  • smidsy
    Well OK, maybe 9,000...but a good few miles none the less. In fact 80% of all my cycling in the last 2 years has been on them.

Makes the tubs and Vittoria Evo's feel like butter :mrgreen:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:
    Well OK, maybe 9,000...but a good few miles none the less. In fact 80% of all my cycling in the last 2 years has been on them.

Makes the tubs and Vittoria Evo's feel like butter :mrgreen:

9,000 on one set? DO you ride on the track? I used to do 2000 maybe a bit more with a set of Gatorskin, before they squared and full of cuts
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Chris Bass wrote:

They are just as bad... :wink:

+1
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

I don't think any of the road tyres on the market is adequate for typical british winter.
    My ideas on the matter are summarised here

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... nter-tyres

Very interesting blog...now I wonder if my bianchi can take 28mm tyres...
  • smidsy
    9,000 on one set? DO you ride on the track? I used to do 2000 maybe a bit more with a set of Gatorskin, before they squared and full of cuts

Perhaps the roads in the East Midlands are kinder to tyres?

I admit that they may well be ready to be replaced, but they have served me well.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Gator skins are a good turbo tyre. That's about it.
  • I fell for this Halfords "bargain" last year then discovered that 23c Gatorskins are the most uncomfortable tyre I have ever ridden, by a long way. I've used 25c Gatorskins for years and they're fine, the 23c version is bloody awful.

The 23c's have been relegated to turbo duty after only about 30 road miles. I bought GP4 seasons (25c) instead - superb.
  • smidsy
    Mine are 25's, IME they have been great. Just goes to show that there is no one single tyre that eveyone can say "this is the one".
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • I ran Gator Skins 23's for about a year with no punctures whatsoever..... HOWEVER they are a total pain to get on and off the rim (In my opinion) and also a bit sketchy in the rain. I had a horrific experience trying to change a rear flat in the pouring rain with the temperature at about 4 degrees which put me off them. I've moved to Conti 4 seasons for the winter now which have done a sterling (and puncture free) job so far. However I have a friend who swears blind his Conti GP4000s are better for puncture resistance than both of the above, so likely to give them a whirl come the spring as apparently the ride quality/responsiveness is also greatly increased.
  • smidsy wrote:
    Just goes to show that there is no one single tyre that eveyone can say "this is the one".

^^^ This. Got 28mm gatorskins on my commuter and they're comfy, handle well and I've only had one puncture (well, lots at once actually) when I ran over a patch of broken glass - it was dark and wet, saw it late, couldn't change road position due to a bus up my @rse.
    Horses for courses I guess.
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • jagx400
    jagx400 Posts: 132
    Great, first run out on them and I get a puncture. Just hope its a one off, the roads were pretty bad yesterday.
  • jagx400 wrote:
    Great, first run out on them and I get a puncture. Just hope its a one off, the roads were pretty bad yesterday.

I did say they're not as great as people believe, didn't I? :wink:
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    I used 23mm Gatorskins while living in East London and thought they were awful, fragile bits of kit; gave them a second chance once I'd move to the sticks and they were fine. Just a bit less puncture prone than regular summer rubber and passable to ride compared to the 400+gm monstrosities I had to have in town.