Out-of-bounds...

briantrumpet
briantrumpet Posts: 17,913
edited November 2013 in Road general
Another rider and I were extremely naughty and gained entry to the now off-limits Les Grands Goulets in S.E. France last week. I'm not an habitual miscreant, but boy, was this worth it. The road's been closed since 2006 because of the danger of rockfalls and a number of fatalities, so I'm sure we were foolish, but we both survived.

Has anyone else been naughty by going out-of-bounds, but would still say " Je ne regrette rien"?

DSC09994_24-10-2013.JPG

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Wow, looks amazing, you've got to take some risks in life sometimes :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Fair play to you as that looks awesome !
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • kwi
    kwi Posts: 181
    Definately worth while, why regret doing that. Now did you feel like a little boy playing where you mum told you not to?
  • briantrumpet
    Fair play to you as that looks awesome !
    Although I rather wish I'd spent longer taking photos, as I didn't even begin to capture the sheer lunacy of the road, as better shown below. We were actually caught out, as a service vehicle came down the road as we came up ... I just said "Je sais, je sais", as I knew I was going to be told off. Which I was, but only with a "Pas Permis!".

8759161238_fbbdeae259_h.jpg
  • awesome road. life is all about taking chances. I guess as always its ok unless something goes wrong! :D
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    I did go up before it was closed, and tried again just after it was closed, before they had started digging the tunnel. At the time there was a substantial wire fence going up to meet the overhang, and a metre or so out past the wall over the drop. There was nothing else to do but go back down and up the Combe Laval road.

I'd always assumed that the road had fallen down the cliff at some point. Did you get right up to the top?
  • briantrumpet
    andrew_s wrote:
    I'd always assumed that the road had fallen down the cliff at some point. Did you get right up to the top?
    We started at the top. To my regret I did it on foot so only went about half way down, though my friend went to the bottom gates on his bike. Small service vehicles still use it for access to the new tunnel, I think, and though the road is rubble-strewn in places, it's all still there.
  • rules are there to be broken....well done to you both well jealous.

if we didn't take the odd risk life would get awful boring and you'd only think you lived a hundred yrs instead of 60 :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Needs must I'm afraid.

Skied the Streif downhill course in Kitbuhel when a large chunk of it was closed. What else was I to do? Was never likely to go back and it wasn't closed for the race or anything.
  • briantrumpet
    morstar wrote:
    Needs must I'm afraid.
    Exactly. And anyway, I blame the poor security at the top gate for my bad behaviour. I sort of suspect that if someone gets injured/killed by falling rocks the authorities can wash their hands, but the reaction of the chap who lightly admonished me makes me suspect that we were not the first to steal a sneaky look.

But I think you can see the instability of the rock face in the photo below - see all the overhangs and the freshly exposed, orangey rock, and you start to see why they've assessed this road as too risky. Still very sad though, after all the efforts to build it, all now bypassed by an anonymous, if relatively safe, tunnel.

Img3793-Les-grands-Goulets.jpg
  • Looks amazing, good for you.

Also looks better surfaced than some of the major road in Yorkshire that are still very much open....
  • briantrumpet
    But come on, people ... only one other naughty person so far, and that was on skis. Surely I'm not the only cycling gate-climber round here...
  • Used to always jump under warning signs/ropes on big off-piste slopes when I was skiing - europe or canada. Always the best skiing. Risks assessed by reviewing the weather/reports for a few days before hand. Could always out ski anyone trying to catch me anyway !

Recently went through a no entry sign to avoid some roadworks - looked through the 3m gap to the normal road on the other side of the gap and saved myself 1/2 hr of queueing.

Certain rules are there to be broken..... You just have to live in Italy to see how square we are :-)

Good on you for taking the road !
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    The first time I did this segment http://www.strava.com/segments/1221402 it was closed to traffic, signs out but no sign of any work happening. When I came back later in the day there were workmen manning the road closed signs at the top of the slope. I asked if I could cycle down and they said "Fine, but be careful around the guys at the bottom of the hill"

Like hector I regularly cut through local "road closed" signs in my area as we have around 12 months of road works planned around town to lay new cables.
  • briantrumpet
    mrfpb wrote:
    The first time I did this segment http://www.strava.com/segments/1221402 it was closed to traffic, signs out but no sign of any work happening. When I came back later in the day there were workmen manning the road closed signs at the top of the slope. I asked if I could cycle down and they said "Fine, but be careful around the guys at the bottom of the hill"

Like hector I regularly cut through local "road closed" signs in my area as we have around 12 months of road works planned around town to lay new cables.
    I suspect most cyclists ignore "Road Closed" signs, as normally you can find/negotiate your way through (though remembering to carry the bike so as not to spoil your ride stats). I did therefore rather enjoy a sign in France that said "Route barrée, même les cyclistes". ("Road closed, even for cyclists"). Sure enough, there was no road left to walk along.