25MM Tyres

Chrisrebbeck
Chrisrebbeck Posts: 133
edited November 2013 in Road general
So with winter coming it was time to get some 4 seasons to replace the 4000S on my Cervelo and after reading all the blurb about there being hardly any downside to 25mm tyres, ive made the switch. They are now inbound. Has anyone else made the switch to a fatter tyre recently and found much difference? I generally ride alone and whilst I enjoy going fast, comforts a big thing for me. Will keep 23mm on my TT bike for sure.

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    yer - I've gone from 23mm GP4Seasons to 32mm flakjackets ... blimey! That's hard work!

Still - given the crap that I've got to ride over to get to work and the 32mms were in the garage I'll just chalk it up to resistance training - just watch me fly next year!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I have 23mm on the back and 25mm on the front...ostensibly for extra comfort. To be totally honest I can't tell any difference and I have serious doubts of anyone who isnt a pro rider that claims they genuinely can...

The benefit is in being able to run slightly lower pressures but then we re talking 10psi or so...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    I have serious doubts of anyone who isnt a pro rider that claims they genuinely can...

On an alu frame, on rough road surfaces, trust me, to a non-pro, the difference is very real and easily detectable between 23 and 25.
  • ddraver
    I have those too and, if I'm honest, I can't - it's the middle bit that I think people struggle with...
    - @ddraver
  • I have found it quite a revelation moving from 23 to 25, after many many yrs on 23. One draw back for me, I don't have enough clearance for my crud catcher guards anymore, but the comfort factor is very noticeable now, especially on the Dartmoor roads I use.
    “If you do what always do, you'll get what you always get.”
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    I recently swopped the 23mm tyres that came as O.E. on my new bike, to 25mm for the same reason and did notice a difference. I run them at 80 - 85 p.s.i. after experimentation, that is my preference.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've run 25mm 4 seasons from the outset on my alu framed bike, and for me the main benefit is that I can run them at 70 / 80 psi F / R. I have experimented with higher pressures but the vibration is too uncomfortable.
  • ddraver
    keef66 wrote:
    I've run 25mm 4 seasons from the outset on my alu framed bike, and for me the main benefit is that I can run them at 70 / 80 psi F / R. I have experimented with higher pressures but the vibration is too uncomfortable.

That's the key i think, not the width itself but the lower pressure you can run them at without getting bitten...
    - @ddraver
  • Painey
    Painey Posts: 23
    Having just bought my first road bike (after 20 years of riding mountain bikes), I'm wondering if the 23mm tyres are going to be a bit thin for me. I'm 14st and they look tiny! I'm also a bit concerned about running not just tyres that narrow but also as slicks in this current wet weather. Would going wider benefit me much? Or should I just see what they're like and how I get on with them?

Cheers
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Don't worry about the whole slick thing - compound is more important than anything with road tyres as to whether they grip or not. Tread patterns make little difference on the road, a slick tyre of the same compound should grip better than one with a tread in theory.

14st isn't that heavy.

See how you get on with them really. I am in the wider=better camp even though I weigh as much as a bag of sugar. Our roads are getting worse and if you put in decent miles on them, your body will thank you for that little bit of extra comfort the lower pressures of a fatter tyre give you.

28mm year round for me!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Painey wrote:
    Or should I just see what they're like and how I get on with them?
    yup ...
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    Just gone from 23mm to 35mm semi slicks (conti cx speed) and I'm surprised at how little difference it makes to actual real world speed - it's (mostly) all in the head!
  • Simmo72
    Simmo72 Posts: 262
    Big riders should use big tyres. I switched to 25's and there is a big difference to 23 if you are say 13 stone plus. Going for 28's on the winter bike when my rubino pros finally die, not that they show any sign of fading. One year old and not a single puncture....at 15 stone 6 ft 5 that is bloody amazing.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Just a warning, If you do want to move to 25mm tyres, make sure your bike can take them. Some forks are too narrow for them and you can get tyre rub.
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    I'm surprised at how much clearance there is on the Cannondale CAAD9. Mine has 25s on and there's about 5mm clearance either side, front and rear. Looks like it will just about take 32s, and I'm considering racing on 28s next year.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Painey wrote:
    Having just bought my first road bike (after 20 years of riding mountain bikes), I'm wondering if the 23mm tyres are going to be a bit thin for me. I'm 14st and they look tiny! I'm also a bit concerned about running not just tyres that narrow but also as slicks in this current wet weather. Would going wider benefit me much? Or should I just see what they're like and how I get on with them?

Cheers
    They will be absolutely fine, give them a go and see how you get on. :)
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • I bought a 25mm 4 seasons to replace a 23mm 4000s that got slashed by some glass in the rain, so exactly same tyres as you. TBH I haven't really noticed any difference by sight (tbf they're under mudguards atm) or feel. I do run them at 100 psi though (rear) which is pretty much the same as I did with my 23s (maybe 5 psi more on those).
  • Just made the same switch myself. Can't say I've noticed the slight bit of difference except that extra little bit of fake confidence in my mind when I hit the corners.
    The Human Cyclist - A blog, try it, you might like it...