700c Tubeless Wheels and Tyres

dj58
dj58 Posts: 2,217
edited October 2013 in Road general
Does anyone on this forum use dedicated 700c UST tubeless wheels and tyres on their road bike. If so what brand and what are your experiences with them. I know that you can buy factory wheelsets that are tubeless ready, however Hutchinson seem to be the only supplier of tubeless tyres, as far as I can make out. Does anyone use these if so what do you think of them compared to clinchers/tubes or tubular tyres.

Comments

• Hi

I have done several thousand km on tubeless atom and fusion tyres with DTSwiss wheels. I run at 80-90 so very comfortable. Never had a problem with them.

My advice would be to unwrap the tyre and loosely put it on the rim and leave somewhere overnight to allow the tyreto forget its folded position. Then add the sealant and using a good stirrup pump blow them up. They may take a few minutes but once seated they are great.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Hutchinson do three models. Bonty do two (R2 and R3, in both 23mm and 25). Schwalbe do the Ultremo tubeless in 23mm and are planning a 25mm for 2014. Plus there are a few obscure ones that are either hard to get hold of or are stupidly expensive.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • dj58
    Evening kayakerchris,

What model are your DT Swiss Wheels and what width Hutchinson tyres do you use?
  • dj58
    edited October 2013
    Thanks for the info maddog 2.
  • Hi Sorry not to reply last night. I have a set of DT Swiss that came with my Giant frame so not sure of the exact model. The tyres are these "Hutchinson Fusion 3 Tubeless Road Tyre" they only seem to come in a 23mm but are super comfy. There is a larger size under a different name but I haven't found it in the UK yet.
  • dj58
    edited October 2013
    Morning kayakerchris,

I have a Giant, it is my first road bike and I am thinking about having a second set of wheels built up for use with tubeless tyres. The reason is, I am concerned about sudden blow outs and punctures leading to a loss of control and crashing out.

Am I right in thinking that if you have a sudden deflation with a tubeless tyre that it is less likely to roll off the rim?
    Have you had to carry out a roadside repair, if so what was the procedure?

Sorry for all the questions but you are the only person who replied, with any experience of tubeless tyres. I'm trying to gather as much information as I can before making a decision.

Thanks
  • dj58
    For anyone else who is interested in the subject, I just found a video clip on this website
    http://www.extrauk.co.uk/product/detail ... less/1302/

Explains how to fit tubeless tyres onto tubeless ready rim.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,385
    There's a video on the Stans site as well, same as a normal tyre really just with sealant and more swearing.

The technology is developing but it's not widespread yet DJ
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I've been using Scwalbe Ultremo tubeless tyres all summer. They feel fast, light, gripy and yet also comfortable, however, they wear very fast. I've worn two rear tyres in about 6,000 km. I built some wheels with Stan's No Tube Alpha 240 rims on Novatek hubs. The spoke tension drops a fair bit once the tyres are on and inflated, which needs a bit of attention when you first fit them, but for a light weight wheel set, I'm very pleased.

May try another brand of tubeless tyre next year and hope for some better durability, or keep the Ultremos for special occasions.