of all the areas of Britain,why Yorkshire?

Comments

• deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    deejay wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:

So my assumption that your 'location' description was some sort of English nationalist statement was wrong?
    [or is it directed at Chelsea?]
    Anybody understand this Gibberish. :?:
    Must be Mad.
    deejay
    Doh, I see what you are getting at. :!: But why has it taken you 3 years to ask that question and who is Chelsea. :?:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Well, Mi Dear, you seem to be quoting "Facts"
    For 30 years I have lived here near the M25 but it seems that I'm a Cockney living with Kentish Men or Men of Kent.
    So are you saying there is some Blue in an ENGLAND Flag. :?:
    Sure I'm ENGLISH and Proud of it. (actually Anglo-Saxon English for bureaucracy form filling, says it all)
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • bompington wrote:
    I'm confused by this thread as Yorkshire is in the South.
    As is county Durham.
    And there are a few folk who might burn down the house of anyone who suggested that Snowdonia is one of the wettest places in England...

Yes County Durham is South. Northumberland is North. It's in the name!
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Lots of Southern Jessies on this thread
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPSzPGrazPo

Yorkshire bloody yorkshire 8)
  • Furthest north the TdF should ever go is Dunkirk.
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    I know that its old news now but with all the amazing areas in the UK they could have opted for why on earth choose Yorkshire for the Tour start.

Because of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7XajPVtpKQ

and this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23930147

Basically it's the greatest county in the country by some margin :P
  • jamlala
    jamlala Posts: 284
    Great Youtube clip sagalout, I can't bloody wait (and I'm from the south west living in Essex!)
    Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
    Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
    Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
    Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    Not sure how trustworthy northeners are though...I dont know very many.

Bahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!
  • Henry Moore too.

Should have gone through the Yorkshire Sculpture Park.
    Don't forget Barbara Hepworth.

Is this turning into a "ee, in't Yorkshire grand?" type thread?
    Because GreasedScotsman is correct - the TdF should stay in France.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    ad_snow wrote:

My whole family are from the Isle of Wight

I'd be careful admitting things like that publicly; Darwin had a theory about such things you know :wink:
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    sagalout wrote:

Ricky Feather!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Henry Moore too.

Should have gone through the Yorkshire Sculpture Park.
    Don't forget Barbara Hepworth.

Is this turning into a "ee, in't Yorkshire grand?" type thread?
    Because GreasedScotsman is correct - the TdF should stay in France.

Ooo how could I forget Babs, I used to think that her and Ben Nicholson's relationship was so romantic when I was a teenager.

Yorkshire's alright, I've lived there. So is County Durham, me mam's from there, but I likes Hampshire best.

As for the Tour coming across la Manche? Pah *Gallic Shrug*
    Correlation is not causation.
  • sagalout
    Ben6899 wrote:
    sagalout wrote:

Ricky Feather!

Yeah, I thought that was a nice touch :)
  • I think we've adequately covered how the TdF managed to be in Yorkshire, Randomly I was at York races one Friday night and noticed there was a 'TDF stakes' they rolled out Gary Verity to speak and I noticed a chap that looked very familiar stood next to him. Christian Prudhomme. I had to go and say thanks to both of them for bringing the tour to Yorkshire.

I found them leaving the parade and said my bit, the first bike race my son will ever see will be the tour in his home city. As someone who spent his childhood watching barely attended Milk race stages that just blows my mind- still.

I still can't quite believe it.
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 477
    Gary- it's a bit like man city fan syndrome. Watching the milk race circuit newcastle was similar to their ventures down the leagues.

Currently spending half term in barningham north yorks, its lovely round here. Bloody exposed and windy, but lovely. I managed to entice the kids onto their bikes yesterday, instead of lightwater valley, by telling them the tour will be here next year on this very road (it wont).

As an exiled Geordie now living in Derbyshire it's fair to say all three counties are great for cycling, quiet roads, loads of good climbs and plenty of nice tea rooms.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Mooro wrote:
    Gary- it's a bit like man city fan syndrome. Watching the milk race circuit newcastle was similar to their ventures down the leagues.

Currently spending half term in barningham north yorks, its lovely round here. Bloody exposed and windy, but lovely. I managed to entice the kids onto their bikes yesterday, instead of lightwater valley, by telling them the tour will be here next year on this very road (it wont).

As an exiled Geordie now living in Derbyshire it's fair to say all three counties are great for cycling, quiet roads, loads of good climbs and plenty of nice tea rooms.

Imagine how I feel marra. I am an expat Geordie, from Hexham, and we moved to France. Not "just" for the Tour, but what do they do? Move the bloody thing to Britain. Typical :D
  • Why not Yorkshire..the biggest county in the UK...

Watch the YouTube clip in earlier post...you might just get it...

As a kid I rode ALL the roads in the 2nd half of stage 2...pretending I was Eddy/Indurain etc etc....for the REAL thing to come here...just thinking about how good it's going to be makes me have goose bumps...my childhood dream is coming to my home town...NEVER EVER EVER did I think in my lifetime that would happen!!
    It's like the World Cup coming to your local pub team pitch!!!!

There is NOTHING that will spoil next year for me....all I'm struggling with is where to go watch..I have family all over the later stages of Stage 2...and the finish...up Jenkin Road...someones legs WILL blow on there....take a look at it....and imagine racing your bo...ocks off up there after some 120miles!!!
  • mike6 wrote:
    I think the test of Trollness is proven by the fact the OP has not been back to argue there case.

As all in the know are aware, the North starts at Durham, and Northerners are both friendly and unwaveringly trustworthy. Its Southerners you need to keep an eye on.

TDF start in Leeds? Brilliant, well done them for pushing the boat out and going for it. Respect.
    The reason i havnt been back to argue my case is as i dont spend my life sat infront of a computer. As for being a troll well if trying to start some form of debate away from the talk of who rides what bike or who is rumoured to be taking or taken drugs, then yes i must be a troll.
    Some of the points mentioned by replies are extremely valid and thats what i was hoping for, to be enlightened.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Geoff boycott innit

I suppose that means that all the riders have to be born and raised in Yorkshire other than one overseas professional.... Oh, wrong game
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Geoff boycott innit
    Galibier? My mother could ride that in her pinny. Now, Holme Moss, that's a proper climb...
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • deejay
    sagalout wrote:
    The opening clip here, intrigues me to ask the question.
    Can you still buy a Hand Made brazed frame on steel.?
    Reminds me of watching my "Made to Measure" frames being built by Mr Vic Monk or at Skeates.
  • sagalout
    deejay wrote:
    sagalout wrote:
    The opening clip here, intrigues me to ask the question.
    Can you still buy a Hand Made brazed frame on steel.?
    Reminds me of watching my "Made to Measure" frames being built by Mr Vic Monk or at Skeates.

http://www.feathercycles.com is the framebuilder at the start of the clip - I think he'll do whatever you want!
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 477
    Yorkshire today:
    Cycling up in the north dales I passed a shotgun toting, red faced fella wearing full green tweed suit including pls fours. "He looks like a right ****!" I thought, though we both exchanged pleasantries.
    I imagine on a parallel forum he wrote much the same of this lanky prick on a white bike wearing 'spandex' with blue flowers and French writing....

Mike6 - not heard marra for years - nice touch. I grew up in the Tyne valley in prudhoe and ryton and i think we played a gig at the QE in hexham back in the early 90s!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • 1220550872-AAFRED01.JPG
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • deejay
    1220550872-AAFRED01.JPG
    Did yer not like that, then.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    As an aside, I went to visit a friend who lives in Mol (where that sexy beast Tom Boonen comes from). We went for an MTB ride and there in Belgium there must have been 40 - 50 odd Toers over the cpountry which are little "sportives" run by a club which cost us 4 EUR and had a perfectly decent feed station half way round. And that was just MTB, it says nothing about the hoards of road clubs that came past us when we were on the road...

Have to say you can see why Belgium creates such good cyclists!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    1220550872-AAFRED01.JPG

Last time I checked, Bolton, where Fred Dibnah was from, was not in Yorkshire.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    andyp wrote:
    1220550872-AAFRED01.JPG

Last time I checked, Bolton, where Fred Dibnah was from, was not in Yorkshire.

All the same, innit, oop north... whippets, cloth caps, outside lavs n'all that

:wink:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • lemon63
    lemon63 Posts: 253
    Furthest north the TdF should ever go is Dunkirk.

I've got to agree with this,

The TdF is French, they shouldn't let it leave. As for the UK govmnt putting in £10m of funding :shock: - £10m would be better spent helping to make our ToB much better/bigger/longer, we should invest in our own race not somebody else's.

And don't get me started on the Giro going to Belfast FFS :roll: