Some cyclist bring Road Rage onto themselves...

thefd
thefd Posts: 1,021
edited October 2013 in Road general
See this - why even get involved in verbals with car users? I know I wouldn't. So many times it is the cyclists who starts the verbals and then it escalates.
2017 - Caadx
2016 - Cervelo R3
2013 - R872
2010 - Spesh Tarmac

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm thinking he might be a new cyclist ? I learn fairly quickly to avoid confrontation. Well after two cars tried to hit me anyway. People are brave in their boxes - and can be stupid.
  • TheFD wrote:
    See this - why even get involved in verbals with car users? I know I wouldn't. So many times it is the cyclists who starts the verbals and then it escalates.

Can be pretty difficult if you've just emerged from a situation where you felt your life was in danger, not to 'start something'.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    TheFD wrote:

Can be pretty difficult if you've just emerged from a situation where you felt your life was in danger, not to 'start something'.
    I think this is the reason - the adrenaline rush of exposure to danger, combined with an instinctive reaction to someone who seems to be trying to kill you, can be enough to throw sensible caution out of the window.
  • einriba
    einriba Posts: 319
    I don't know - I tend to think that if someone has nearly killed me through either a deliberate decision or lack of proactive thinking then I'm going to be pretty angry at them, so I'll shout something to warn them about their action.

If they apologise then ok, i'll probably leave it there.

If they stick the fingers up, tell me to f off etc then chances are they're in for it.

I'm not gonna sit back and let car after car nearly kill me and not say anything to them.
    Getting up is the second hardest thing in the morning
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    A car cut the corner of a junction where there was a cyclist stopped ...

The car was nowhere near the cyclist, wasn't (IMHO) speeding or driving dangerously - and was not going to cause harm to anyone.

So the "cyclist" decides he's a danger and proceeds to tell him so ... why?!

Ok, the car driver should've just ignored the twat of a cyclist and shouldn't have retaliated - but he didn't physically harm him. Not quite sure how he'd get a bike up the cyclists nose though ... :o
  • Slowbike wrote:

The car was nowhere near the cyclist, wasn't (IMHO) speeding or driving dangerously - and was not going to cause harm to anyone.

Ok, the car driver should've just ignored the fool of a cyclist and shouldn't have retaliated - but he didn't physically harm him. Not quite sure how he'd get a bike up the cyclists nose though ... :o

This. One of the downsides of cycle cameras and YouTube is that it can turn do-gooders into wannabe police.

The junction was clear and it was nothing to do with the cyclist what the driver did. Neither does the cyclist have the right to criticise other people's driving, especially as he was sitting at a junction "getting his breath back" in contravention of the double yellow lines and causing an obstruction himself.

The main problem with these situations is that the driver will now go off and think of that idiot every time he sees another cyclist. We also all get tarred with the same brush and the degradation of relations between cyclists and drivers continues.
  • I have to say when I saw the footage earlier I thought the cyclist was a bit of a dork doing what he did. That does not mean I condone unsafe driving (with any vehicle) or bad/offensive attitude towards others (in any situation) but if one is so committed to informing other people of their misdemeanours then join the Police Force and do it properly. Be honest, if we all stopped and 'informed' other road users of their driving qualities/potentially illegal manouvres, we would never get anywhere!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • einriba
    einriba Posts: 319
    I agree - in that video, the cyclist is not doing other cyclists (or himself) any favours.
    Getting up is the second hardest thing in the morning
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Whilst the driver is clearly a dick (not for cutting the corner, he put no one in harm), the cycling is a full on interfering c0ck end.

He looks a c0ck end, sounds like a c0ck end, he's probably a c0ck end !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    edited October 2013
    First thing I thought was why did the idiot stop there in the first place, he was more of a hazard than the car ever was.
    Second thing I thought was what a crap helmet he was wearing.
  • The car cut the corner well away from the cyclist who was stopped in any case. No issue here - cyclist was completely wrong for freaking out. As others said he doesn't look like a real seasoned cyclist, just someone who has bought a camera and thought he'll be a policeman can get famous on youtube.
  • Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    Yeah, the cyclist even says he stopped, and then noticed the junction was busy.

I think he then sat there waiting for something to happen. Wonder if he gave a hand gesture at the driver, as there is no way the driver heard him in the first instance, so why did he stop?

The guy looks like a complete and utter tool, and as said, was causing an obstruction himself by sitting there with no intention of moving off as soon as possible.
  • mk1fish
    mk1fish Posts: 23
    that is a video of a cyclist wanting some attention, it doesn't warrant the bbc sending someone out to film him, we have just paid good licence fee for him to give the rest of us a bad name.
  • slowbike
    shame there's no comment section on that "news" piece ...
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Slowbike wrote:

Ok, the car driver should've just ignored the fool of a cyclist and shouldn't have retaliated - but he didn't physically harm him. Not quite sure how he'd get a bike up the cyclists nose though ... :o

This. If someone endangers me or decides to go down the "I pay my road tax argument and you should yield to me" route, then I'll give as good as I get. But something that has had no effect on me or involved me, then why bother.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    MattC59 wrote:
    Whilst the driver is clearly a dick (not for cutting the corner, he put no one in harm), the cycling is a full on interfering c0ck end.

He looks a c0ck end, sounds like a c0ck end, he's probably a c0ck end !

Harsh - very harsh. But completely correct.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Yeah, the cyclist was a bit anal in pointing this minor infringement - lets face it, cutting the corner of junctions like this is the norm these days, it happens to me when I'm approaching lots of junctions in the car, never mind the bike!

Saying that, had the moron in the car bothered to turn round and chase me down, then given me an earful like that, then he would have got the fight he was obviously looking for.
  • slowbike
    Saying that, had the moron in the car bothered to turn round and chase me down, then given me an earful like that, then he would have got the fight he was obviously looking for.
    The lad obviously wasn't prepared for the retaliation.. hence standing there and just taking it - then whining to the BBC about how hard done by he was ...

I (try to) keep my complaints to jestures to give me a bit more room (arm pushing out sideways) - that way if someone does stop and have a go at least I will feel justified in my non-agressive approach. That said I do occasionally shout at twats who overtake me on a double white line descent where I know I'll be held up behind them around the corner at the bottom ... but then I haven't got a whiny voice ...
  • ahhh captain fluro the safety cyclist :roll:
    I sometimes don fluro however ..... Cyclists like that just wind everyone up. Lad needs to learn there are dicks on the road no matter what they are travelling in or on. Policing the road like that can lead to road rage and its best to let it go.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    einriba wrote:
    I don't know - I tend to think that if someone has nearly killed me through either a deliberate decision or lack of proactive thinking then I'm going to be pretty angry at them, so I'll shout something to warn them about their action.

If they apologise then ok, i'll probably leave it there.

If they stick the fingers up, tell me to f off etc then chances are they're in for it.

I'm not gonna sit back and let car after car nearly kill me and not say anything to them.

All well and good in theory - but they're in a 2t metal box. You're on a crushable bike. It might not be a fair fight.
  • The footage is over a year old.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cmyJuwQuRg
  • slowbike
    Some people shouldn't be allowed cameras ...
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    So in this guys eyes it's ok to stop next to a junction but not on for a driver to cut the corner a tad?

Camera clad cyclists always go out there looking for an argument they need to take a good look at themselves and whether they actually enjoy cycling anymore.
  • slowbike
    lawrences wrote:
    Camera clad cyclists always go out there looking for an argument
    No they dont ...

Some might ...
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Looking at his youtube page he is just looking out for dramas to post up and harvest clicks and subscriptions, just comes across as a mummy's boy that needs to lose his virginity.
  • Don't be a bunch of bell ends. Bettering yourself by making value judgements against another road user or extrapolating one example to represent a group of road users makes you no better than the motorists who do exactly the same thing to cyclists.

Whatever our mode of transport we're all pretty crap on the roads from time to time and it's when people accept that that we can improve things for all by looking at all the data and putting into context the genuine issues.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    The bike Dork should have just kept on going as he was in no danger what so ever.

Clearly an over reaction if i ever saw one.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Slowbike wrote:
    lawrences wrote:
    No they dont ...

Some might ...

Could be phrased better I meant the YouTube lot. Not people who ear them for insurance etc.
  • Is this the room for an argument?
  • slowbike
    lawrences wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    lawrences wrote:
    No they dont ...

Some might ...

Could be phrased better I meant the YouTube lot. Not people who ear them for insurance etc.

So everyone who posts cycling videos on YouTube "always go out there looking for an argument" ....

Do you want a spade because you're still digging ...
This discussion has been closed.