GPS/Cycle computer

bowdy1987
bowdy1987 Posts: 96
edited October 2013 in Road general
What is everyone using to record rides?

I'm looking for my 1st computer but it's a minefield.

There's loads of 2nd hand and new on eBay but I like to have the best for my money.

Don't really want to spend much more than £200 so.. Any advice welcome

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Garmin Edge 500 or 510 job done. :)
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Edge 500 , display is easy to customise for rides, accurate once set to update position every second and uploads into strava easily.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Edge 500 with HRM and Cadence. Its all you will ever need.
  • iPhone 4S in my jersey pocket. Cateye Commuter on my stem.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    500 with HRM and cadence here too. I'm sure there are other solutions out there but this does the business for me. Price is down I believe with the 510 being out so £200 should get you the whole kit
  • Thanks for the replies amigos.. Off to the classifieds I go haha
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • rpherts
    rpherts Posts: 207
    An Edge 800, with an alarming and infuriating tendency to freeze up completely, necessitating a hard reset and loss of all your data (bye bye ride).
  • kwi
    kwi Posts: 181
    If all you want is to record your ride track and speed a Holux GPSport245 can be picked up for around £40, can be set to a time or distance plotting mode, has 2 odometers and mine has proven as accurate as the Garmin.
    Though if you want your HR and cadence then this isn't for you, though I used mine alongside a Polar cs200cad. Also it's a 2 step process to upload to Strava, once into the software supplied then exporting the .gpx, then importing the .gpx into Strava.
    I upgraded to a 705 recently and am liking the extra functionality of SatNav and virtual training partner and am glad I changed. (
  • iPhone 4S in my jersey pocket. Cateye Commuter on my stem.

Me too. Cateye to keep an eye on how i'm doing and my old smartphone in my pocket for Strava.

Don't think I could justify the expense of a Garmin.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Edge 800 HR + cadence. with Open source maps.

For the extra cost the 800 is worth it - despite its bugginess
  • binsted
    binsted Posts: 182
    diy wrote:
    Edge 800 HR + cadence. with Open source maps.

For the extra cost the 800 is worth it - despite its bugginess

Not from where I,m sitting. 800 bought in June, now on a replacement unit, 3rd cadence sensor, 2nd HRM. Fortunately so far all under warranty, "bugginess" is a polite term, not fit for purpose is more like it.

**Edit** I do agree with Open Source Mapping
  • Me too. Cateye to keep an eye on how i'm doing and my old smartphone in my pocket for Strava.

Don't think I could justify the expense of a Garmin.

Indeed, I'm sure the Garmins are very nice but a smartphone gets you most of the way there. For rides over 2 hours I use an external battery - which of course adds weight but it means I can return home after 4 hours or so with the phone still on 100% charge.
  • To be quite frank. The Heart rate monitor isn't a necessity. I just want something accurate enough to record rides and then be able to download them to my mac etc

So the edge 500 will be ample I suppose. I don't like taking my phone on rides to be honest so I really want a gps
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    IMO the HR monitor is the best way to know if you are being a lazy fecker or not.
  • Bryton Rider 40 with HR & cadence?
  • speedo
    speedo Posts: 115
    I have been riding with a Garmin Edge 200 for the last 2 years and it suits my requirements.
    Check it out it may be just what you are looking for (depends how much you want to spend )
    On special offer at Halfords at the moment for less than £90 :D
  • Garmin 500 for me plenty of data for riders knowing where they are going.
  • If you don't want HR or cadence then the Garmin 200 is perfect.