Tiagra vs Ultegra Cassette...

WarlKicken
WarlKicken Posts: 224
edited November 2013 in Road general
Hullo All! Hope you're all well...

I have a couple of sets of "decent(ish)" wheels for my lovely bike and just a standard set for my commuter. The commuter wheels have Tiagra groupset (cassette), I have a pair of lovely, light deep rims with Ultegra cassette and a pair of normal rimmed and an Ultegra cassette just purchased so not on them yet (no cassette at all on them).

Fancied a ride tomorrow and was wondering if there would be any noticeable disadvantage to, for now, just whipping the wheels of the commuter with the Tiagra cassette and using it with the Ultegra group set until I can get the other wheels sorted out. My deep rims wheel be like a sail in this weather :-D

Thanks! Hope that all makes sense as well!! :-D

Comments

• dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    Are the cassettes the same size? If they are then yes you can. The difference is mainly in the weight
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • Ah gawd, not sure about size :D Both 2013 bikes so I am hoping they are now!!

Weight isn't so much an issue, muchos appreciate the reply! Off I go!
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I defy anyone to truly notice a performance difference between cassettes in a range.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • As long as they are both 10 speed, and roughly the same biggest cog size, then yes.
  • You'll be fine.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    as far as performance goes i'm sure you wont notice a difference, the only issue you might have is if your chain is worn, it may have worn, but also worn the cassette to match it so it wouldnt be so noticable with the current cassette so when it goes onto a new cassette you may have a bit of skipping/shifting issues.

chances are if its in reasonable nick you should be fine though.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • I have come to the conclusion over the years that regarding Shimano, the only noticeable differences are Sora> 105> DuraAce.

To me Ultegra 6700 feels no different to 105 5700 its basically a look pretty version of.

I recently replaced a Tiagra Cassette with a 105 - zero difference apart from a couple of grams.
  • blinddrew
    blinddrew Posts: 317
    I have a completely-non-scientific hunch-based-on-experience that 105 seems to be best balance of durability / function / weight for chains and cassettes.
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • If you have a freehub with soft splines, a high end cassette is better, as it has more accurately machined matching splines, hence less play, hence less chewing of the freehub splines. Or you can get a 10 speed SRAM cassette, which comes as a block and does not chew the splines.
    left the forum March 2023
  • I've just swapped onto my winter wheels which has a 10spd. Tiagra cassette compared to my usual 6700 Ultegra. I noticed naff-all difference in performance. In fact, it actually felt marginally smoother. It does weigh quite a lot more though.
  • blinddrew wrote:
    I have a completely-non-scientific hunch-based-on-experience that 105 seems to be best balance of durability / function / weight for chains and cassettes.

A great number of people are of the same opinion as yourself, that 105 represents the best in terms of price & quality.
  • Even when considering the groupset as a whole, rather than just the cassette, there's not much to choose from IMHO. I've just taken delivery of a new bike with the 10-speed Tiagra groupset, and its fantastic, with very little discernible difference from my (admiteddly older) Ultegra groupsets on 2 other bikes.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I downgraded from 105 (5600) to Tiagra (4600), I cant say I notice any difference whatsoever. Its pretty much the same groupset (like wise sora 3500 is the old tiagra 4500).

Other than weight, I doubt there is much difference.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I just put a second hand 9 speed Tiagra groupset on my second bike. In the dark I cannot tell any difference between it and the 10 speed 105 on the other bike. I'm hoping the 9 speed chain will last a bit longer than the 10 speed ones do.
  • Thanks chaps, decent feedback from all.

Only difference I noticed was the occasional slip but the Tiagra cassette is my commuter so it's probably worn pretty good.

Thanks the people, top lads.
  • rubertoe wrote:
    I downgraded from 105 (5600) to Tiagra (4600), I cant say I notice any difference whatsoever. Its pretty much the same groupset (like wise sora 3500 is the old tiagra 4500).

It's a common misconception that e.g. New Tiagra is the same as old 105. This isn't the case. There is tech inherited from the higher up models, but the construction tolerances and materials aren't usually one of them. This is often misunderstood that they are the same, but they aren't far from it.
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    Just for interest I weighed a Tiagra and an Ultegra cassette (same tooth range). The Ultegra was approx 75g lighter. This might be an issue for some (every little helps) but for most I guess its hardly a reason for upgrading.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    careful wrote:
    Just for interest I weighed a Tiagra and an Ultegra cassette (same tooth range). The Ultegra was approx 75g lighter. This might be an issue for some (every little helps) but for most I guess its hardly a reason for upgrading.

That's quite a difference. Can you see where they shave off the weight? Biggest 4 sprockets on an alloy spider? More holes in every sprocket?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    £20 difference for 75g weight difference on a bike a lot of people would say is quite good. Times that by 10 and if you could save 750g for £200 then there are a lot of people would see that as not bad value for the weight savings.
  • mfin wrote:
    £20 difference for 75g weight difference on a bike a lot of people would say is quite good. Times that by 10 and if you could save 750g for £200 then there are a lot of people would see that as not bad value for the weight savings.

a full water bottle can weigh 500-750g alone.

weight saving has to be done on a large scale in order to make the difference = ££££
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    a full water bottle can weigh 500-750g alone.

Really?! ...that never occurred to me, thinking about it I reckon that a lot of people on here could be very interested in this.
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    If you have a freehub with soft splines, a high end cassette is better,
    I take your point Ugo, however in the case of Ultegra v Tiagra the reverse may be true as the Tiagra sprockets are all in one fixed unit therefore the drive will be shared right across the splines, whereas the Ultegra drive on only one sprocket width (apart from the lowest three which are on a carrier).
    As to the weight difference, I reckon it is mostly the aluminium carried compared with all steel on the Tiagra. FWIW my own choice is to use Tiagra on my winter bike where I dont mind the weight, and lighter cassettes on my other bikes.