XT M785 brakes and XTR I-spec shifters

lawman
lawman Posts: 6,868
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
My xt shifter is starting to get a little sloppy, it's had 3 years use and it doesn't shift as nicely as a newer but otherwise identical one on my other bike. I run XT m785 brakes and I'm looking at this XTR shifter from CRC - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod85767

What exactly do I need to mount it as I-spec and is it compatible with my brakes? Anyone know if the shifter should come with everything I would need to make it work? It's the same price for either I-spec or standard mount, and it would be nice if the bars looked a little less cluttered :)

Cheers!

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Just buy the ispec shifter and job done with those levers
  • lawman
    Lovely stuff, cheers!
  • It depends which I-spec you have as Shimano have changed the standard and some are not now backwards compatible.
  • lawman
    It depends which I-spec you have as Shimano have changed the standard and some are not now backwards compatible.

Yeah I've heard about that. My brakes are 18 months old afaik they're can be used with I-spec 'a' and I think the 2012 shifters I'm looking at should fit them. If not I'll just send them back and get the normal mount, not bothered if I have to have to use normal, but would prefer the I-spec :)
  • lawman wrote:
    It depends which I-spec you have as Shimano have changed the standard and some are not now backwards compatible.

Yeah I've heard about that. My brakes are 18 months old afaik they're can be used with I-spec 'a' and I think the 2012 shifters I'm looking at should fit them. If not I'll just send them back and get the normal mount, not bothered if I have to have to use normal, but would prefer the I-spec :)

If they have the wrong tops then I have a set of XTR I-spec model a covers kicking around doing nothing if that would help.