Stormy weather ahead.

ben@31
ben@31 Posts: 2,327
edited October 2013 in Road general
Hurricane force winds predicted for monday,

- Trains running on a reduced timetable.
- Possible disruption to Heathrow and Gatwick airports.
- Flood warnings in Dorset harbours
- A middle aged fat guy on a bicycle gets 10 new Strava KOM's with an average speed of 80 mph. For some reason, all of the segments he chose to ride were in a NE direction.
"The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby

Comments

• lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    80mph is still bullshit.
  • binsted
    binsted Posts: 182
    XC weather, 20-20 Exeter Airport, wind, variable 3kts :)
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I have a couple of segs lined up for the afternoon when it dies down a bit...

I lived in kent during the 1987 Michael fish fiasco and it was one of the most frightening nights of my life. The wind getting underneath the roof tiles and slapping them back down again every couple of minutes was not nice. There was barely a tree left standing the next morning...
  • lawrences
    Mikey23 wrote:

I lived in kent during the 1987 Michael fish fiasco and it was one of the most frightening nights of my life. The wind getting underneath the roof tiles and slapping them back down again every couple of minutes was not nice. There was barely a tree left standing the next morning...

why bother? A segment in a 20mph tailwind doesn't really mean anything.

Nahh I'm kidding. Just stay away from any of mine :p.
  • Old_Timer
    Old_Timer Posts: 262
    Hunker down, we have had several of these Hurricanes here on the US Gulf Coast in our area (NW Florida) All you can do is make preparations, tie things down, get the loose items in and get ready to lose power when the winds pick up. I've been in several with 115 mph plus winds, 1 Cat4 hurricane a few years back. Be safe and don't risk being out to see what it is like, you can get hurt very fast.
    Lets just got for a ride, the heck with all this stuff...
  • ben@31
    Old_Timer wrote:
    Hunker down, we have had several of these Hurricanes here on the US Gulf Coast in our area (NW Florida)... I've been in several with 115 mph plus winds, 1 Cat4 hurricane a few years back.

I bet the Strava KOM's in Florida are hard to beat.
  • ben@31
    lawrences wrote:
    80mph is still bullshit.

Yes you are right

The Met Office records 99mph winds off the Isle of Wight.

From @METOFFICE on Twitter.
    http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-10- ... -of-wight/
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    The met were covering their ass.
    If they got performance related pay they'd have to claim benefit.
  • ben@31 wrote:
    lawrences wrote:
    80mph is still bullshit.

Yes you are right

The Met Office records 99mph winds off the Isle of Wight.

From @METOFFICE on Twitter.
    http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-10- ... -of-wight/

But a breeze! Try 165mph during Hurricane Bawbag.
  • Mikey23 wrote:

If it makes you feel any better the family and I went out for a walk this morning and the only real damage we saw was a tree crushing a fence in Mr Fish's back yard.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    lawrences wrote:
    80mph is still bullshit.

Turns out your post is bullshit :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Mikey23
    There is a god after all!

Just getting going here in east cornwall. Greenhouse still up, dustbins still in place. I think we got away comparatively lightly
  • Mikey23
    105 in Dover according to the beeb
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    MattC59 wrote:
    lawrences wrote:
    80mph is still bullshit.

You'd look fairly feckin stupid saying anything like that wouldn't you :wink:

8smh.jpg
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Old_Timer
    ben@31 wrote:

:lol: Yep, every few years some part gets a blow from these killers and I can just see a Strava KOM for someone riding on a tail wind from a CAT 2 or Cat 3 storms gusts at 90-100+ mph. I've had to tie down aircraft and, help the Navy hangar planes, as well as making preparations on our job-sites, when we did several contracts for hangars and a Control Tower. Those winds will physically move you along the ground while standing. Highest I've ridden in was around 50mph as a storm was approaching and I got caught out as a feeder band came ashore. I got stood still riding into the headwind that time, shelter in place was the answer.
  • lawrences
    MattC59 wrote:
    lawrences wrote:
    80mph is still bullshit.

Set a segment with an average speed of 80mph and come back to me on that one.
  • Old_Timer wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:

:lol: Yep, every few years some part gets a blow from these killers and I can just see a Strava KOM for someone riding on a tail wind from a CAT 2 or Cat 3 storms gusts at 90-100+ mph. I've had to tie down aircraft and, help the Navy hangar planes, as well as making preparations on our job-sites, when we did several contracts for hangars and a Control Tower. Those winds will physically move you along the ground while standing. Highest I've ridden in was around 50mph as a storm was approaching and I got caught out as a feeder band came ashore. I got stood still riding into the headwind that time, shelter in place was the answer.

Is it me or did anybody else read that in an American accent?
  • Old_Timer
    Rollemynot wrote:

I know I did :?

I won't be near one ever again as far as being out in the blowing and rain. I was a lot younger when I had to secure job-sites on Navy bases and stayed out in them as they made landfall. Now the base calls me 48 hours ahead and does an inspection afterwards, it it isn't to standards they have their personnel do the job and bill the contractor for hours and materials. It ain't cheap, either.

Just glad that none were hurt badly and the damage seems slight, I have friends over with all of you, one in particular is right on the Southeast coast and I didn't want any misfortune to come to anyone. I really want to spend time in the UK cycling some day soon.

Rollemynot, hope Perth isn't near those horrible fires I am hearing about. My geography for Australia is poor so I am not sure of where you are located. Off to look at a map, chat with everyone later.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,539
    MattC59 wrote:
    lawrences wrote:
    80mph is still bullshit.

Turns out you didn't read his post properly - the comment he replied to related to someone riding at 80mph on Strava
  • Old_Timer wrote:
    Rollemynot wrote:

I know I did :?

I won't be near one ever again as far as being out in the blowing and rain. I was a lot younger when I had to secure job-sites on Navy bases and stayed out in them as they made landfall. Now the base calls me 48 hours ahead and does an inspection afterwards, it it isn't to standards they have their personnel do the job and bill the contractor for hours and materials. It ain't cheap, either.

Just glad that none were hurt badly and the damage seems slight, I have friends over with all of you, one in particular is right on the Southeast coast and I didn't want any misfortune to come to anyone. I really want to spend time in the UK cycling some day soon.

Rollemynot, hope Perth isn't near those horrible fires I am hearing about. My geography for Australia is poor so I am not sure of where you are located. Off to look at a map, chat with everyone later.

Thanks for your concern but I am in Perth Scotland........... So about 12000 miles away