CAS rule in Riis' favour

2»

Comments

• deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    mike6 wrote:
    That is morality. Its not merely the punishment it is living with the shame. People with little morality would appear to have little or no shame. Armstrong anyone?
    Being disqualified for driving while under the influence of alcohol.
    When clear of the sentence the problem will not go away because the high insurance costs you will pay for many years after.
    By the way that is not me but I used to do insurance.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    rayjay wrote:
    Cycling has morals
    mike6 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    mike6 wrote:

I would not commit a crime just because I thought there was a good chance I would not get caught, the consequences, however slim, would put me off. What about you?

Really? So the only reason you'd not commit a crime is because of punishment? No bigger reason that you just wouldn't do it? Like your own morality, for example?

We'll have to agree to disagree. People must pay for offences. But it's not a deterrent.

That is morality. Its not merely the punishment it is living with the shame. People with little morality would appear to have little or no shame. Armstrong anyone?

You can not just name Armstrong. That's to simple. Cyclists doped well before Armstrong. When he came along he was only doing what everyone else was doing. Armstrong doped because that is the culture of cycling.
    It has become a complex issue. Athletes Take PEDs to win at their sport. You or I do not get hurt. The Athletes have to deal with the consequences of their actions and the people close to them. Its still only sport. Its not a criminal activity. It's not that long ago when you could dope legally. You cannot stop athletes taking PED's.

I named Armstrong as an example. Did you really expect me to list every cyclist who has cheated? Armstrong is a case in point. He had to have the biggest platform on American TV to make his "Confession", no shame whatsoever.

And its not "Only sport" as you say. At Pro level, its there paid profession. Cheating another competitor out of victories cheats them out of winnings and a bigger contract. In France it is sporting fraud and punishable by jail sentences. Perhaps if other countries changed to this stance we may just see a difference. :roll:
  • mike6 wrote:
    rayjay wrote:
    Cycling has morals
    mike6 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    mike6 wrote:

I would not commit a crime just because I thought there was a good chance I would not get caught, the consequences, however slim, would put me off. What about you?

Really? So the only reason you'd not commit a crime is because of punishment? No bigger reason that you just wouldn't do it? Like your own morality, for example?

We'll have to agree to disagree. People must pay for offences. But it's not a deterrent.

You can not just name Armstrong. That's to simple. Cyclists doped well before Armstrong. When he came along he was only doing what everyone else was doing. Armstrong doped because that is the culture of cycling.
    It has become a complex issue. Athletes Take PEDs to win at their sport. You or I do not get hurt. The Athletes have to deal with the consequences of their actions and the people close to them. Its still only sport. Its not a criminal activity. It's not that long ago when you could dope legally. You cannot stop athletes taking PED's.

I named Armstrong as an example. Did you really expect me to list every cyclist who has cheated? Armstrong is a case in point. He had to have the biggest platform on American TV to make his "Confession", no shame whatsoever.

And its not "Only sport" as you say. At Pro level, its there paid profession. Cheating another competitor out of victories cheats them out of winnings and a bigger contract. In France it is sporting fraud and punishable by jail sentences. Perhaps if other countries changed to this stance we may just see a difference. :roll:

Could you give examples of French athletes who've tested postitive and received a custodial sentence, since doping was criminalised in France? Because I've been doing a bit of research on French athletes who been done since 2000, for example, and I cant find any indication of anything beyond bans from competition.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    mike6 wrote:
    rayjay wrote:
    Cycling has morals
    mike6 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    mike6 wrote:

Could you give examples of French athletes who've tested postitive and received a custodial sentence, since doping was criminalised in France? Because I've been doing a bit of research on French athletes who been done since 2000, for example, and I cant find any indication of anything beyond bans from competition.

Oops, you are right there my man. I should have said "Can be punishable by jail sentences". My mistake. :oops: