Bells

naughtyvicar
naughtyvicar Posts: 22
edited October 2013 in Road general
To warn people you are coming up behind them.......why is this not popular in the Roadie community?

Comments

• Cygnus
    Cygnus Posts: 1,879
    I ride on the road so it will be pointless having a bell, no one will hear it in all that busy traffic.
  • Never had a pedestrian step out? ride behind someone a bit slower?
  • I have strange shaped bars (3T Ergonova), can't find a bell that fits and probably not the 99p one form Wilko.

Any other ideas?

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Roadies constantly wizz past me and grunt if I have just wavered off a true line on a cycle track. RING YOUR DING A LING YOU MAGIC MARKER, THEN I KNOW YOU ARE BEHIND ME!

Your avatar made me smile, good job :) some miserable sh1t will probably report it though!
  • Strongly disagree. I will be out now on my beloved hybrid from 5:30am tomorrow on the local cycle network. Although I go at a fair old pace the odd roadie will be sneaking along the cycle path and as I don't have mirrors the first thing I know is when they try and pass me within a quarter of an inch. When I pass someone or encounter someone walking along with their dog drifting onto the cycle side I ring my bell and they get a heads up. So cheap, so easy, so sensible.
  • Bill Gates wrote:
    I have strange shaped bars (3T Ergonova), can't find a bell that fits and probably not the 99p one form Wilko.

Any other ideas?

I tend to just mod stuff that doesn't fit myself. My bars sort of taper in so a lot of mounts slip, but I just pad them out with rubber, or split the mount and fashion my own like I have done for my rear lights
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    No need for a bell when you have Hope Pro3 hubs
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    When you get to a certain age, your ding a ling doesn't work so well...
  • They are not afraid of using their voices.....they are quick enough to grunt displeasure or have a little pop as they pass. They also seem to smash their Strava records when I suggest they discuss it further. More hybrid boys are needed on the pro circuit to help the roadies smash their times.

But no I am not talking commuters. I am talking lycra clad glow in the dark grown men. It may be unusual to my part of the world as we have some fantastic coastal cycle routes that are miles and miles long, but we do share them with everyone.
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    Pottering on cycle routes a bell might be useful, but for reasons already mentioned a bell is useless on the road.
    Do you get grunted at a lot?
  • Same down here, we have about 35 miles if tarmac cycle paths in the coast and on old rail lines. When approaching dog walkers and families with young kids the bell warns them well of your approach. It seems to cut through the background noise and seems quite polite.
    When passing other cyclists a "passing to your right" is better as it passes clear meaning to someone who will understand it.
    On the roads, I try and cycle on quiet lanes and there is no one to ring my bell at.
  • Strith wrote:
    Pottering on cycle routes a bell might be useful, but for reasons already mentioned a bell is useless on the road.

I would say about once a week. I am getting the impression the more I read that is a geographic anomaly here due to about a 10 mile coastal cycle/walking path. I just have to look at Strava to see the amount of section times. Some of the lycra clad lot are often pushing 30mph when there are people walking dogs and eating icecreams wandering about. It has even hit the local press on a few occasions.
  • Same down here, we have about 35 miles if tarmac cycle paths in the coast and on old rail lines. When approaching dog walkers and families with young kids the bell warns them well of your approach. It seems to cut through the background noise and seems quite polite.
    When passing other cyclists a "passing to your right" is better as it passes clear meaning to someone who will understand it.
    On the roads, I try and cycle on quiet lanes and there is no one to ring my bell at.

Fellow Jack Dave
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    Strith wrote:

I would say about once a week. I am getting the impression the more I read that is a geographic anomaly here due to about a 10 mile coastal cycle/walking path. I just have to look at Strava to see the amount of section times. Some of the lycra clad lot are often pushing 30mph when there are people walking dogs and eating icecreams wandering about. It has even hit the local press on a few occasions.

If I rang a bell at everyone I passed on my commute here in london, or when I'm training in kent/surrey, people would probably think I'm nuts, neither would I achieve much either.

Unfortunately it just sounds like you have a large proportion of idiots wherever you are. Best to not let it bother you too much.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    Cycling down through the centre of Leeds and ringing a bell is amusing. All the people who just step out in front of you without looking continue to do so, but just look slightly bewildered that there's a bell ringing somewhere.
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    Honking horns should be a legal requirement on a bike.Everyone can hear them including that truck driver who might not have seen you.A good honk is going to get everyone's attention.
  • kwi
    kwi Posts: 181
    They're for girls bikes, even as a kid the 1st mod to any of my bikes was to remove the bell. (2nd was the playing card and clothes peg 'motor'.)
  • Roadies constantly wizz past me and grunt if I have just wavered off a true line on a cycle track. RING YOUR DING A LING YOU MAGIC MARKER, THEN I KNOW YOU ARE BEHIND ME!

Poor attempt at a wind-up 2/10
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • tilesey
    tilesey Posts: 14
    Shouting to get someone's attention is a lot more effective than a bell, you can also let them know what you're doing and what you would like them to do.

For instance I can say, "Passing on your right" loud enough to be heard by another cyclist - which is a lot less ambiguous than, "ding ding".

I can also say, "STOP!!!" to a pedestrian crossing in front of me, which again is a lot more clear than, "ding ding ding ding ding"

But the main threat to my life is the motorist, and let's be honest - with car radios on even a moderate volume they are not going to hear "ding ding" - but trust me, they will probably hear my "directions" / advice when I raise my voice!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    got some terrible stick from a little old lady on the tarka trail a few weeks ago because i didnt have a bell... young man, come here. i thought i was going to spend the afternoon on the naughty step
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    When I'm cycling on a lane and there's a walker or horse rider ahead of me, I always say:

"Cyclist coming up behind you. I haven't got a bell, so I had to use my voice instead"

On every single occasion it raises a smile from them. The most recent time I said this
    was on yesterday's 200km Audax (Tewkesbury / Daventry / Chipping Campden / Guiting Power
    /Winchcome / Tewkesbury) as I was cycling through Nether Wescote. :)
  • as I don't have mirrors

Would it not make more sense to have mirrors then. I imagine you have them on your car or do you rely on each overtaking car to sound its horn?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Maybe we should all fit air horns. :roll:
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Airzound.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    tilesey wrote:
    Shouting to get someone's attention is a lot more effective than a bell, you can also let them know what you're doing and what you would like them to do.

yeah but that scares the living daylights out of me when people do that to me, which usually induces a comedy wobble moment on my part, I dont know why its just regardless of how noisy the environment is, Im not expecting people to bellowing instructions loudly (however well intentioned) at me.

but then I have a very nice old fashioned style bell on my bike :) which I use on cycle paths, as yeah it is pretty pointless for the road,but just to warn people/cyclists who might be unsighted Im there, not get out of my way, just hey Im here dont look suprised if you come round that blind alley corner at full speed to see me in the way.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    "Achtung Velo!"
    "Überhohlen Rechts"
    "Überhohlen Links"
    "Merci"
    and
    "Danke"

are far better than a bell although I do some times say "Ding, Ding!"
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    schweiz wrote:
    "Achtung Velo!"
    "Überhohlen Rechts"
    "Überhohlen Links"
    "Merci"
    and
    "Danke"

are far better than a bell although I do some times say "Ding, Ding!"

"Ding, dong!"
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    That's a church bell and will be far too heavy for my bike. Unless theres's a carbon version?!
  • hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    There was a funny video on youtube of some guy ringing his bell, but the jogger taking up the whole path couldn't hear due to those pesky headphones. The cyclist then shouted 'OI' which worked much better
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,306
    Mikey23 wrote:
    got some terrible stick from a little old lady on the tarka trail a few weeks ago because i didnt have a bell... young man, come here. i thought i was going to spend the afternoon on the naughty step
    Admit it, you were overjoyed at being called young.