cheap Chinese lights?

2»

Comments

• bails1310
    bails1310 Posts: 361
    So, after much internet trawling I found what I was after. A small, usb chargeable light with a good output for less than £50. Its a fluxivent u2 mini from torchy the battery boy off amazon. 1000 lumen (so about 600 actual) small but with a good beam and easily attached to different bikes. The light comparison tool on his site is useful. Will report when I get it but quality looks far higher than the cheap Ebay ones and no heavy, cumbersome battery pack.. Just under £50 posted

+1

Purchased the same and have been using it for 4 weeks in all weather. Have used for 3 hours without charging, waterproof to IP65 ( 'protected against water projected from a nozzle )

2 years guarantee and have used on familiar unlit country roads and don't think I'd need a lot more.

USB charger with bar and helmet mounts.

Would definitely recommend, FWIW.
    Kuota Kharma Race [Dry/Sunny]
    Raleigh Airlite 100 [Wet/Horrible]
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Good to hear, just waiting for mine to be delivered. Glad I started this thread. I very nearly bought a Cateye Volt 300 from my LBS but got a 3 times more powerful light with pretty much the same features for less money. Fluxient are a recognised lights brand, even found a video review on Youtube by MBTR. Does the guarantee come from the manufacturer or the seller? Looking forward to some longer distance commutes in the dark now rather than dreading the nights drawing in.
  • bails1310
    Does the guarantee come from the manufacturer or the seller?
    It comes with a Fluxiant product registration card which I've done [online]. They eBay seller is Torchboy http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/bike-light-database.html so given the amount of work he does, hopeful any warranty issues could be handled by him.

Battery does take a while to recharge full but then if it lasts for 3 hours+ I suppose it would.

I don't use the flashing mode generally as its only flashes on bright mode as I think it can annoys some motorists. It has a slightly dimmer constant setting which I use for lit streets and works well.

I was the same and wanted to keep the linger commute going with some of the roads being completely until with tree coverage too, I have no issues with being able to see.
  • Camcycle1974
    Got mine off Amazon. Hoping I got the updated 2013 model. Just checked and it seems I did. About the same price as Ebay once postage is factored in. If the pictures are accurate then its very bright indeed, certainly bright enough to use on unlit roads.
  • dai_t75
    dai_t75 Posts: 189
    Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I am in a similar position to the OP.

Think I might go for the U2 mini as well after looking at the database linked above (thanks for that!).

Just have a couple of questions I hope someone wouldn't mind answering:

How does recharging work - does it go through USB cable to PC/Plug adapter? Or do I need to buy a separate recharging station?

I notice on the database there are 2 beam types (wide and spot). When out riding do you need to change between the 2 (spot to be seen/wide to see) depending on the road (Street light road vs unlit country lane)? If so, how easy is it to change when on the move? Apologies if this question is daft - I haven't ridden in total darkness before, but it's something I want to get into.
  • bails1310
    I'm not the OP but did get the Fluxient U2 Mini.

The charging is a battery 'cradle' with it just sitting between the two charge points. Cable isn't very long but don't suppose it needs to be.

It has 3 patters, very bright, bright & very bright flashing.

The on/off button also controls the modes but with a lighter press of the same button which is on the back of the torch. Its not difficult as the mount and mount band keeps it very secure.

Word of warning, the bands secure it similar to the Garmin Edge mounts but the bands are thicker and I've managed to catapult mine quite a distance outside work when putting it on. In the dark that's not ideal.
  • bails1310
    Sorry, yes it is via USB into PC, but it fits into iPhone USB plug charger also.
  • Camcycle1974
    Mine arrived today. First impressions very good. Nice box to keep all the bits, very bright and the mounting system is a piece of cake. First proper trial tomorrow on my commute. There is a darl alley outside my house will see how much the light illuminates it.