Show us your workshops!

2»

Comments

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Amazing how much workshop space us cyclists give over to something as mechanically simple as a bicycle.
  • kwi
    kwi Posts: 181
    My bikes are all individually worth more than my car. So why should it go in the garage?
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    dodgy wrote:
    Amazing how much workshop space us cyclists give over to something as mechanically simple as a bicycle.

Very true, I have just built up a separate storage shed for all the bikes plus spares etc, and next to that is my workshop. it means the top 3rd of the garden is now taken over as I also wanted area outside to work on the bikes in the nice weather :-)
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    I appreciate this may be heresy on this forum, but does anybody actually keep a car in the garage?

Mine is a new(ish) build integral one so its arguable if you could actually get a car in it. I have never seen a car go in or out of any garage anywhere on our estate!
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • I have workshop envy.
    Boardman 8.9 SLR - Summer
    Holdsworth La Quelda - Commuter
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I appreciate this may be heresy on this forum, but does anybody actually keep a car in the garage?

I defy you to get a car in the garage and get out of said car.

Garages are simply not made for cars these days in the majority of cases. Hell most drives are barely wide enough.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy
    Coach H wrote:
    No room for workstand so fettling happens on countertop in Minoura stand and on turbo
    P1030078.jpg

P1030070.jpg

I like the superflous cupbards :lol: Remove and get a proper workstand.

Cupboards defy the sheer definition of a man cave....things live in plain sight for easy location and use - it has to be a law somewhere :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • kwi
    smidsy wrote:
    Cupboards defy the sheer definition of a man cave....things live in plain sight for easy location and use - it has to be a law somewhere :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    For proper 'man' caveliness turn existing cupboards into a set of wall mounted open shelving. (And not just by removing doors.) All my shelves are made from doors.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    kwi wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    For proper 'man' caveliness turn existing cupboards into a set of wall mounted open shelving. (And not just by removing doors.) All my shelves are made from doors.

1) If I get rid of the cupboards where do I put 'stuff'; including cycling contraband
    2) If I take the doors off it will look a mess (like the other side which has open shelving full of kids and womens stuff) and what stops the EPO seeing the cycling contraband :lol:
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • kwi
    'Stuff' goes on shelves, good point on hiding contraband though. SWMBO had a good hoke around my garage on Saturday, still all picture no sound, and that's without finding the new Garmin and Dropper post for the MTB.
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    my car is too tall for the garage door... but I wouldn't bring it in anyway. :mrgreen: .
    it looks a bit steep to me.....
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913

keeping a car in a garage actually increases your insurance. Its due to the high number of claims they receive from people driving into the garage walls when entering/exiting the garage.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • I will take a picture of the man cave tomorrow, it is nothing special but does the job.
  • blinddrew
    blinddrew Posts: 317
    kwi wrote:
    Maybe I don't need to tidy my garage. :twisted:

That's when it's tidy...
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • Mikey41 wrote:
    Mine is my hallway... which is tiny.

I hear you Mikey41 - I share the hallway/kitchen/front room depending on where the kids mess isn't !!!!
    Felt z95 - loving my first road bike
  • Finally got the motivation to snap some pics of the cave. I am really hoping our landlord pays sometime soon to take the fridges away as they were stuffed in the garage since we moved in.

IMG_00000080_zps06ce2459.jpg
    IMG_00000081_zpseef8d1c4.jpg
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    IMG_0121.JPG?gl=GB

workshop corner in my flat...
    Fully equipped with essential cycle tools like... milling machine (soon to be CNC-ed), lathe, bandsaw... :wink:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Barteos wrote:
    IMG_0121.JPG?gl=GB

Fully equipped with essential cycle tools like... milling machine (soon to be CNC-ed), lathe, bandsaw... :wink:

....milling machine, lathe, ....

NICE, VERY NICE

My Uncle was a machinist and he made me more than a few bike tools(headset and BB press, fork crown race remover, etc.). Wish he was still around.
  • I had a bike arrive today, put the bike stand up in the living room, tool box on the coffee table. Perks of not living with a woman! :D

I do have a large garage but 1. It's cold and 2. It's a mess!
  • smidsy
    barrowmatt wrote:
    I do have a large garage but It's a mess!

And there is the negative of not living with a woman :mrgreen:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • blinddrew
    blinddrew Posts: 317
    dennisn wrote:
    Barteos wrote:
    IMG_0121.JPG?gl=GB

....milling machine, lathe, ....

NICE, VERY NICE

My Uncle was a machinist and he made me more than a few bike tools(headset and BB press, fork crown race remover, etc.). Wish he was still around.

^^^ This! Loving that set up there.
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I put my car in the garage a few years ago - I was changing the engine in it ... it was an MGB roadster ...
    My car won't fit in the garage now - SWMBOs could just, but no way to get out of it once you're in.
  • velohutts
    velohutts Posts: 288
    Having cleaned the bike outside , rain starts and bike gets taken in to the cave.

2 hours later , apparently the aroma of gt85 is not fantastic ! Will save pointing out that the aroma from 'our' cats litter tray can be pungent as well!
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • Just need a TV in here now and all sorted, gym, turbo dungeon and bike storage.

https://vine.co/v/hDIzLIUzMp7
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • Chris87
    Chris87 Posts: 224
    this thread is such a good idea!
  • Gotten a lot of ideas from this thread. I should start sorting out my tools and install a wall mount for those. Looks really clean and organized
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    My garage - previously a dusty dark place filled with crap. Now a beautifully lit, clinically organised OCD-ist dream!

Got that special floor paint so the surface wipes clean after a good session stripping off the old oil, dirt etc. CD/radio with aux lead so I'm not working in boring silence (usually Radio 5 though!), bike stand with Arkwright coat in the foreground left and all my nuts, bolts and other bits and bobs are in the organisers on the shelves above the bench. Tools and other bike spares etc are on the shelving unit to the left. Power tools, workmate, folded bike rack for the car and track pump are under the bench.

Little bin on top of the dryer for all the usual rubbish and the boxes to the left of that are a 105 groupset I'm about to get fitted (an exciting prospect!)

Photo0389.jpg