Rollers - gear shift issue

Simmo72
Simmo72 Posts: 262
edited October 2013 in Road general
Help please. This is odd. Out on the road my front mech shifts perfectly. Stick the same bike on the rollers (no changes) and it refuses to shift up to the big ring, its like its not going across far enough. If I adjust it then its hitting the pedal and still not moving over. Any ideas?

Comments

• mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Well i can change up/down on rollers, so can everyone else i kno too, and i cant see how on earth your pedal/crank hits the mech (and still not change up), unless FD not paralell to chain ring? - if your not confident on the rollers you may well not be easing very slightly as you change small to large ring, trying to change up at high cadence/pwr is never going to be good.
    If its shimano i would look at shimano/tecdocs and re-adjust FD.
  • Simmo72
    Simmo72 Posts: 262
    I'm fairly confident on the rollers, i can't exactly do no handed but i'm comfortable without the need of something nearby to grab on to. I only tend to drop down to the 39 to take a breather but it is very odd. Alignment would only make sense if the same thing was happening on the road.

I'll try speeding up/easing off and see if anything changes. cheers for the advice.
  • You're not alone mate. I have the same problem. No idea what it is but often my front mech doesn't want to shift onto the big ring. Can't think why as it works perfectly on the road.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    When my daughter used to shift little to large, the bike will move across the rollers as she forces the lever up, she therefore doesnt apply enough pressure quickly enough, resulting in a noisy up change or no change (again fine on the road) - fine tuning the fd made a slight difference and now she is totally confident there are zero issues.

As you ve both said, there is no reason why it shouldnt change identically road or roller other than how you change.