First free service - how soon?

OverTheHillAt21
OverTheHillAt21 Posts: 102
edited October 2013 in Road beginners
When I bought my new road bike about six weeks ago they said bring it in after 3 months - this sounded a bit long from what I can vaguely recall from the past. I've done about 600 miles on it. Is it too soon to bring it in now?

Comments

• 600 miles is soon enough to take it in for a service, by now all the cables should have stretched etc.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Why do you think it needs a 'service'?

Check the brakes/pads and adjust as required and if the gears are a bit lazy shifting up the cogs then simply offset initial cable stretch by twisting the RD adjuster by 1/2 turn in the direction that tightens the tension.

I think that folks can sometimes liken a bike to a car so a 5 minute check up/once over becomes a service whereas in reality it is often simply a 5 minute check/once over.
  • Phil562
    Phil562 Posts: 73
    Mine went in for its three month free service today....well not free really as it needed a new chain.....had done roughly 1500 miles.....I do clean and lube at least weekly.....best I now start checking the chain and I'll buy the chains from wiggle, a lot cheaper
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    Why do you think it needs a 'service'?

Check the brakes/pads and adjust as required and if the gears are a bit lazy shifting up the cogs then simply offset initial cable stretch by twisting the RD adjuster by 1/2 turn in the direction that tightens the tension.

I think that folks can sometimes liken a bike to a car so a 5 minute check up/once over becomes a service whereas in reality it is often simply a 5 minute check/once over.

Yes but the key word is 'free' - this is the standard 'first service is free' one at the lbs. Usually the tasks you mention are the only ones they do on this basis anyway. I'm pretty sure they listed them at the time. It's only half a mile away so no point in not taking it in though I can understand why some people might just decide its not worth the bother. I wouldn't dream of paying for servicing for a long time.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I would Just bring it in. They will check it over, adjust gears / brakes and true the wheels as needed.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    When I bought my bike they told me to bring it back after 20hours of cycling or 200miles, whichever came soonest, so at 600miles I'd say yours is ready. As others have said, I didn't bother with mine, but my LBS is 25miles away, and they wanted it overnight, so it would have meant 100miles for the two round-trips. Had the shop been half a mile away, I probably would have taken it in. I just learnt how to adjust everything myself - need to do it in the long run anyway.
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • 200 miles sounds about right, it's just to tighten up things which often come loose on new bikes or need a bit of adjustment. After 600 miles, that's the sort of distance that it might need a bit more than that.
  • Thanks guys, I have booked it in for Friday. I think the wheels may need retruing a bit so I'm hoping that is covered too.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Thanks guys, I have booked it in for Friday. I think the wheels may need retruing a bit so I'm hoping that is covered too.

Just let them anything you specifically need checking like truing wheels etc.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Phil562 wrote:
    Mine went in for its three month free service today....well not free really as it needed a new chain.....had done roughly 1500 miles.....I do clean and lube at least weekly.....best I now start checking the chain and I'll buy the chains from wiggle, a lot cheaper

I thought chains lasted longer than that, mine has done roughly the same. How do you know it needs changing?
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Bobbinogs
    This is a 'it depends' answer. I usually get 2-3,000 miles from a chain, but it can vary greatly depending on the routes and my shifting habit at the time (cross chaining on very hilly routes is not recommended!).

Many tools out there for checking, I have a very simple Shimano one which does the biz. Others just use a decent steel ruler and measure 10 links. Have a look on Sheldon or Parktools for guidance.
  • Bobbinogs
    ... I think the wheels may need retruing a bit...

You can check this before going in by using the centering screw on the brakes. Just offset it so that one side of the brake pads just clears the wheel by 1 mm. Spin the wheel and if it sticks at one point then the wheel probably needs truing. Then, repeat the exercise using the other pad just to make sure before returning the brakes to the optimum position (usually just off centre to account for uneven brake pull). Have a go and then see what the shop says, that way you can give yourself confidence for doing it yourself next time.