Coil or Air Shocks ????

etep
etep Posts: 63
edited December 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi, I`ve just bought my first Mountain Bike (a Cube) but not being very practical I`m concerned about the constant maintenance needed for the shock forks (Rockshox Reba Team duel air 100 mm travel and remote lockout using a push lock lever 2012 model).

So my question is do these shocks require much maintenance, or if I had coil shocks would they be fit and forget (my preference)??

Also, is there much of a price, performance and weight difference between air and coil??

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Comments

• Don't worry.... use them for a year and send them to TFTuned or Mojo for a service.

Not really much in it, neither coil or air are fit an forget either.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Both need the same amount of maintenance. Send them to TF Tuned once a year for a service. They could use a lower lube every few months which takes about half an hour.
    I have the same fork and its very good.
    The only maintenance free forks are rigids.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    air shocks normally require an air can shock as well as a yearly service unlike the coil

forks are normally just yearly or more depending on how often they are used.

coils are heavier but are the better system in terms of bump performance but air shocks are getting much much better.
  • rockmonkeysc
    A full service on an air rear shock takes about 20 minutes.
    Air suspension performance is improving but will always suffer heat problems on big tracks but on an xc bike air is definitely the best choice.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    My new XC mtb has an air fork and I prefer it as it is more easily adjustable.
  • poah
    not on fox shock unless you have the nitrogen charging equipment.
    A full service on an air rear shock takes about 20 minutes.
    Air suspension performance is improving but will always suffer heat problems on big tracks but on an xc bike air is definitely the best choice.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Only use coils on a dh bike, on a 100mm bike definitely air
  • rockmonkeysc
    Coils work on more than just DH bikes. They are heavy and not great for climbing.
    I would quite like a Cane Creek Double Barrel coil for my XC bike for the odd alpine trip.
  • poah
    Cqc wrote:
    Only use coils on a dh bike, on a 100mm bike definitely air

usual comment from someone that never used a coil - coils are better than air only reason people say air is because they are lighter and normally have some sort of platform compression switch or lockout.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    On a 160mm bike maybe, but a 100mm bike? Is that Really necessary?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes of you prefer coils! And many use air for dh. Depends what you want.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I chose air for ease of adjustment and it works well on my xc bike.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I've always used coil shocks, although most of my bikes have been more gravity orientated. I'm using air on my new build though, so will be a whole new experience! Adjustment certainly seems pretty straightforward.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • poah
    Kajjal wrote:
    I chose air for ease of adjustment and it works well on my xc bike.

coils are easy to adjust as well you know
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    POAH wrote:
    air shocks normally require an air can shock as well as a yearly service unlike the coil
    What the heck is an air can shock?

These are forks anyway......

My 2006 Manitou air forks still work just fine, so do my daughters.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    The Rookie wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    What the heck is an air can shock?

These are forks anyway......

My 2006 Manitou air forks still work just fine, so do my daughters.......

ment to say air can service - and what your forks got to do with anything??????
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Well your post sounded like it needed the air unit changing each year duets your typo, service is more like it......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Air does make more sense for short travel bikes, simply because short travel bikes are generally made for more xc use, where weight is much more important. If you want the performance of a coil shock you also most likely don't want to be riding a 100mm bike (with a couple of exceptions)

But to get back to the point... The basic maintenance of suspension is generally simple these days. Most of the time, just clean it after riding (wipe down), add a little lubricant to the stanchion (which to use is a matter of opinion; I use a cheap silicon spray, others use other stuff). Not a bad idea to give it a "bump" as usually that'll lift a little extra dirt which you can then clean off.

Regular servicing, well, depends on the brand. For Rockshox, the minor service is straightforward on the forks, if you can undo a bolt, wipe your bum, and measure out a shot, you can probably service a fork. But there's also the question of frequency. Some forks have service intervals down as low as every 15 hours, now I don't believe even 1% of owners follow that. Stop halfway through a riding weekend and service your forks. Or 2/3ds of the way through a 24 hour race!
    POAH wrote:

Not really, it means buying and changing springs. Not the right spring? Buy another one! It is massively more faff. I went through 4 shock springs before I got one that i really like on the 224, I could probably fanny around more with 25-increment springs but hell with that!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • poah
    Northwind wrote:
    POAH wrote:

Not really, it means buying and changing springs. Not the right spring? Buy another one! It is massively more faff. I went through 4 shock springs before I got one that i really like on the 224, I could probably fanny around more with 25-increment springs but hell with that!

I got one - perfect first time :wink:

Air shocks can be just as faffy to set up - too little air good small bump but blows through travel or more air to stop bottoming out but less small bump compliance. then add tape to make it more progressive or getting custom tuned because the OE damping it too hard or too soft for your weight.
  • Northwind
    That really isn't close to "just as faffy"
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind
    Yes, it's much harder to attach a pump and inflate than it is to buy and fit a different spring :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • poah
    my shock came with the spring attached and only took a couple of twists of preload to set it right. quicker than attaching a pump and pissing about with air pressure
  • Northwind
    Preload doesn't change the spring rate though so not the same thing at all. Ironically what you're describing is an extra bit of setup faff that coil sometimes have.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Depends on the shock model and the bike I suppose, and if the stock spring suits your weight.

Anyone who has changed the spring on a Demo or SX Trail with their complicated rear linkage, no lower bushing and 800 washers, all by themselves, I'm sure will agree that there is a fair amount of faffing with coil shocks. Certainly not something you could do on the trail unless you're a glutten for punishment and have either a 3rd hand or a bike stand.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's easy enough to make minor tweeks to the preload, no tools required. Changing a coil is at least 10 minutes (at best) and £25 for a new coil.
    Coil shocks generally have more damping adjustment.
  • poah
    Northwind wrote:
    Preload doesn't change the spring rate though so not the same thing at all. Ironically what you're describing is an extra bit of setup faff that coil sometimes have.

what extra, adjusted preload to set sag which took a minute - spring rate was fine, didn't want it softer or harder
  • Northwind
    So what you're saying is, as long as you don't have to adjust it much they're dead quick and easy to adjust?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • poah
    Northwind wrote:
    So what you're saying is, as long as you don't have to adjust it much they're dead quick and easy to adjust?

what I'm saying is that mine was easy to set up because I choose the right spring rate - not my fault if you're a numpty and buy the wrong spring.

and like you said setting sag on a coil doesn't alter spring rate - what happens to an air shock when you change sag :wink:
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's easy to end up with the wrong weight coil.
    Spring calculators aren't an exact science and rider preference comes in to it as well.
    I can go to three different spring calculators and get three different spring weights. Fortunately my local shop has a load of springs so I just go in and try some until I get 30% sag with minimal preload.