Checking tyre pressure

Jameshill247
Jameshill247 Posts: 15
edited October 2013 in Road beginners
After having my service on the bike I think my tyres have been under inflated for a while

I have a track pump with a gauge on it and keep and tend to check them by feel before going out and inflate once a week or before if needed

It is only a cheap track pump so I don't know if the gauge is that great

I was told 120psi for the tyres but my pump seems to struggle above 100psi which normally seems enough

My question is how do you check your pressure do you use a tyre gauge or the gauge on the track pump?

And is 120psi really needed or overkill

I ride a very bumpy and lumpy cobbled cycle path for while and I'm guessing a lower pressure would be more forgiving but then subject to punctures? I'm looking to get some continental GP 4 seasons soon so that will help with punctures right?

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    It depend on the tyres recommended inflation range, your weight and a bit of personal preference. I weight about 15st10 and my tyres can be inflated up to 120psi. Using my track up up they are both at 105psi which is fine for me, rolls quickly and smoothly and no puncture problems. You can get decent track pumps for not much over £30 which inflate to well beyond 100psi.
  • I'm virtually same weight so that's alright then

I can't remember how much I paid for the pump tbh it worked perfect the first few times getting to 120 with ease but last time struggled. It could have been me doing it wrong or something

Can you get digital pressure gauges like you can for cars? That would fit a presta valve?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I just inflate to 100 every 3 or 4 days and know from experience that they will be down to 80 if I don't. Not very scientific but it seems to work
  • Always inflate to 110 on the back, 105 on the front, and rely on the gauge on a Topeak Joe Blow II track pump for these. Again, tend to find that you loose a bit in 4-5 days so need regular checking
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I just squidge them a bit, if they feel soft I stick air in. I like to keep them under 90psi though for a bit less bone shaking. I'm about 14st.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • +1 for Joe Blow pumps. The pressure gauge seems spot on and it can push well in excess of 120psi into a tyre. I'm 14 stone and run 105 at each end. The roads around Wiltshire are atrocious so I don't want them harder than that.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Use the same track pump as well.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I weigh 66kg; I run 25mm Conti 4 Seasons and inflate to 80 rear and 70 front for comfort without pinch flats. I have the Joe Blow Sport 2 pump also and trust the gauge on that.
  • the pump I have seems to be able to get to 100psi and seems a lot of people ride at around the 100 mark so maybe 120 would be a bit much then
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Don't forget that you have pressure pushing back at you so the higher the pressure the harder you need to push. It depends on what your weight is to determine what your tyre pressure should be.
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    I've got a Bike Hut track pump. It's about 9 years old now and still going strong. I've found it to be a great bit of kit considering it's Halfords.

I just use the gauge on that and tend to pump the tyres twice a week, once at the start of the week ready for commuting, and once midweek, just before my weekly 30 miler.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    12.5 st here, on Conti GP4s, 25mm's which I'm advised to run a little lower than 23's, so I have 95 front, 100 back. I top em up every 3 or 4 days.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    12st. I run my Contis at 110-115 psi, Ultremo's at 120psi. Really is a personal preference I guess.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I'm virtually same weight so that's alright then

I can't remember how much I paid for the pump tbh it worked perfect the first few times getting to 120 with ease but last time struggled. It could have been me doing it wrong or something

Can you get digital pressure gauges like you can for cars? That would fit a presta valve?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tope ... -prod53796

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/schwalbe-air ... prod18431/
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    +1 for the Joe Blow Sport Track Pump

I've even blown up the tyres on my car with it, then checked the pressure with a "proper" tyre pressure gauge and the Joe Blow was spot on.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • rgasuk
    rgasuk Posts: 89
    Had Joe Blow about a year now and still very accurate, well worth the money
    Road - Scott solace .
    Training - giant xtc 1
    Mtb - Yt Capra pro
    Past - Scott spark , caadx ultegra , canyon ultimate cf slx ,trek madone , ridley x-fire , giant Defy, giant trance