Shifting problems - chaing too short?

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited October 2013 in Road general
Hi

I have ultegra shifters (6700) and recently i've had a bit of trouble with the right shifter.

On the largest chain ring if i click it once (up the gears) the the rear derailleur hardly moves at all, but double clicks seem ok if i push it all the way across and it goes up the two it should.

On the small chain ring it all seems to shft fine, one or two clicks.

the only difference I can think of is that the chain is more stretched (as in has further to travel) when on the largest chain ring, so could my chain be too short?
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Hi

I have ultegra shifters (6700) and recently i've had a bit of trouble with the right shifter.

On the largest chain ring if i click it once (up the gears) the the rear derailleur hardly moves at all, but double clicks seem ok if i push it all the way across and it goes up the two it should.

the only difference I can think of is that the chain is more stretched (as in has further to travel) when on the largest chain ring, so could my chain be too short?
    so up the gears. to a smaller cog. much in the cables. or damage, too much friction.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • chris_bass
    nicklouse wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Hi

so up the gears. to a smaller cog. much in the cables. or damage, too much friction.

sorry i meant up the gears in the litteral sense as in smaller to bigger (i always get that the wrong way round!) down (bigger to small) is fine.
  • chris_bass
    also, meant to post this into the workshop section but must have posted it in the wrong place, are you able to move it?
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Sounds like you have too much slack in the shifter cable. Try winding out the adjuster.
  • chris_bass
    I don't think that's it, if I adjust it enough for it to shift up it won't shift down, I have been indexing my own gears for years now so quite proficient at it, and it works ok in the smaller chain ring.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Check for excess play in upper jockey wheel. I've had problems like this and new jockey wheels sort it.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails