Bike Computer plus

akc42
akc42 Posts: 43
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
I am just about to go and pick up my new bike, and I wanted to get opinions on what would be the best bike computer/phone option for me.

Some background.
My old bike has a cats eye strada (wired) but only records the wheels going round (cadence sensor to far from crank arm to work). I have an old iphone 3gs which I tried to use with strava but wasn't very good (lots of drop out). I have had a nexus (android based) 7 inch tablet with strava with long battery life which recorded rides perfectly. I also have an app which runs on the tablet that gives me cue sheet directions whilst I am riding.

This combination provides the perfect amount of data. I need real time data on speed and time/distance travelled - I have a log of where I have been over time on the web site in "at home" mode. And I want to compare my times to myself and others on key segments of the rides.

Over my holiday I dropped the tablet and it seems terminally broke. I don't need tablet functionality really so I don't want to replace it.

I run a linux desktop and mac laptop. I only have "virtual"windows machines running in these two hosts. This might mean difficulties with usb connections to a windows machine.

So some options - costing similar amounts of money.

1) Buy an android phone to replace my aging iPhone3GS and a wireless cats eye computer for the new bike.
- Are later android phones better with battery life and accuracy for Strava? The tablet was perfect. I can't find any useful information about how well later model phones work with Strava app


2) Get a garmin edge 510 for both the recording with appropriate sensors
- does the edge 510 have next turn information available - I can't find a definitive answer?
- use phone maps to find out where I am if I get lost (I might upgrade phone anyway as the iphone needs replacing - but that doesn't need to factor in the equation)

3) Get a garmin edge 810 for the addition of maps
- Some reviews I have read say the 810 maps are not very detailed. I am not going off road - do the maps cover all UK roads?
-Can they be updated when the roads change?

4) Get a garmin edge 500
- some reviews says its easy to load cue sheet info into it - is this true?
- any downsides - what do I miss v the 510?

Any comments on what might be the best option

Comments

  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I have a Garmin Edge 500 and after setting it to update every second it works very well with a very customisable display. If you download the manual of the Garmin website you can see in more detail. Loading rides into Strava or Garmin connect is really easy and useful for creating and beating existing segment times. You can get them for about £130 now.

    For maps I just subscribed for a year to the ordinance survey website GetaMap service which means you can print off any section of any map zoomed in/ out as required. I think it cost about £20 per year. Very useful for road or mountain biking if you are looking to go to a variety of places.

    Spending more gets you more convenience but I didn't need it.
  • akc42
    akc42 Posts: 43
    I managed to recover my tablet my reflashing ROM to factory settings so whole question is now not needed. However still need something simple for realtime display. I am thinking cateye
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    akc42 wrote:
    1) Buy an android phone to replace my aging iPhone3GS and a wireless cats eye computer for the new bike.
    - Are later android phones better with battery life and accuracy for Strava? The tablet was perfect. I can't find any useful information about how well later model phones work with Strava app
    A dedicated GPS device set to 1 second recording is going to be more accurate than the Strava app running on a phone/tablet. The tracklogs they provide can also be easily input into whatever service you wish.
    akc42 wrote:
    2) Get a garmin edge 510 for both the recording with appropriate sensors
    - does the edge 510 have next turn information available - I can't find a definitive answer?
    - use phone maps to find out where I am if I get lost (I might upgrade phone anyway as the iphone needs replacing - but that doesn't need to factor in the equation)
    The Garmin 500/510 has breadcrumb navigation. You can have turn alerts.
    akc42 wrote:
    3) Get a garmin edge 810 for the addition of maps
    - Some reviews I have read say the 810 maps are not very detailed. I am not going off road - do the maps cover all UK roads?
    -Can they be updated when the roads change?
    Garmin maps cover the UK (if you get the UK maps). They are the same as in Garmin's car sat nav devices. You can buy updated maps from Garmin. You can also get free maps based on OpenStreetMap data. Talkytoaster provides good UK ones.
    akc42 wrote:
    4) Get a garmin edge 500
    - some reviews says its easy to load cue sheet info into it - is this true?
    - any downsides - what do I miss v the 510?
    The 500 should be the same as the 510 cue sheet/navigation wise. You would miss Bluetooth connectivity with a phone and the ability to use GLONASS satellites. DC Rainmaker has a good breakdown of the various differences between the Garmin 800/810/500/510.
    akc42 wrote:
    Any comments on what might be the best option
    I would get a Garmin as monting a 7" tablet on a bike is harder and they are less weatherproof and easier to damage. You can aslo add other sensors such as cadence or heart rate if you wish to with a Garmin. Adding a speed or speed/cadence sensor to a Garmin and setting the correct wheel size will make it more accurate than using satellites alone as well.