Is All Wind Equal?

CleeRider
CleeRider Posts: 304
edited October 2013 in Road general
Following on from my 'is all elevation equal?' question...

If my route is perfectly flat, 25 miles in a straight line South, turn around and 25 miles North to home again...
Which of these wind conditions will result in the highest average speed over the 50 miles (all other things being equal):
1. 15mph Northerly
2. 15mph Easterly
3. 0mph

Comments

• ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    3. I find that when I really give it some 0mph I do a great time
  • dave02
    dave02 Posts: 325
    you need to get out more :D
  • kwi
    kwi Posts: 181
    I thought it was funny.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    CleeRider wrote:
    Following on from my 'is all elevation equal?' question...

If my route is perfectly flat, 25 miles in a straight line South, turn around and 25 miles North to home again...
    Which of these wind conditions will result in the highest average speed over the 50 miles (all other things being equal):
    1. 15mph Northerly
    2. 15mph Easterly
    3. 0mph

you're joking, yes?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Depends on shelter. If there is shelter it can affect the wind more one direction than the other.
    Did an out and back TT with a tailwind out and only a mild headwind on the way back due to the wind coming slightly diagonally and lots of big bushes at the side of the road. In those circumstances the wind helped.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    There do seem to be days when every time you turn you get a headwind. Don't know how that works...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    It's like hills - the descents don't make up for the time lost on the climb and the tailwinds don't make up for the time lost in the headwinds.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ju5t1n wrote:
    3. I find that when I really give it some 0mph I do a great time
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • All things being equal - wind from different directions on different days may have a difference in density of up to 15%. You will always be faster into a warmer headwind all other things being equal :)
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    As above it depends on how consistent the wind direction is, if it keeps gusting alot and how much shelter there is. Most of which is beyond your control so I wouldn't worry about it. Going up hill into a strong gusty wind is great for fitness and bike handling ;)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    All things being equal - wind from different directions on different days may have a difference in density of up to 15%. You will always be faster into a warmer headwind all other things being equal :)
    Lol! What's the SI unit for wind density?! Air density does vary according to temperature but, of course, that affects you whether or not there is any wind. It's part of the overall picture but a bit of a different issue - eg like you'll be slower into a headwind if it is cold and you are wearing a sail like packable windproof.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Rolf F has hit the mark.

Much the same question was posed on the BBC Science programme Bang Goes the Theory some time last year only in respect of aeroplanes. Still conditions are the quickest for precisely the reason he mentions.

To elaborate, you feel the benefit of the tailwind for a shorter time than you feel the disadvantage of the headwind (because you are going faster and therefore cover the tailwind segment in a shorter time). Side winds are just a pain and slow you down because you are battling them constantly. Even if a side wind is steady (which it never is) you will always be in and out of the lee of buildings, trees etc..
  • rpherts
    rpherts Posts: 207
    Rolf F wrote:
    All things being equal - wind from different directions on different days may have a difference in density of up to 15%. You will always be faster into a warmer headwind all other things being equal :)
    Lol! What's the SI unit for wind density?! Air density does vary according to temperature but, of course, that affects you whether or not there is any wind. It's part of the overall picture but a bit of a different issue - eg like you'll be slower into a headwind if it is cold and you are wearing a sail like packable windproof.

A 15mph headwind definitely feels stronger in winter than in summer.