Rapha £200plus Glove "system"!!!!

vinnymarsden
vinnymarsden Posts: 560
edited October 2013 in Road general
Now I'm not one to knock anyone for wanting quality gear, I have to say I,m an advocate of it myself.....however..today I have seen the latest Rapha equipment launch and it simply made me shake my head....A glove system..(even the title sounds stupid) that costs over £200 if you opt for all the bells and whistles!!
Now don't get me wrong...if theres a glove that keeps you warm, then I say it's worth the price...my Gore Bike gloves were not cheap...at £50ish....HOWEVER mu point is this...if it was THAT COLD that you needed OVER £200worth of gloves alone to stay warm I would consider going in the cave and hitting the turbo...completely gloveless!!!
No doubt the "extensive research and development" by Team Sky in the laboratory ice box forged the "need" for such equipment...however the extensive use by Sky clearly did them no good whatsoever at the Worlds because they all got off their bikes 100k or so before the finish....because of the weather!!!
Brilliant timing by Rapha to launch these....excellent endorsement from Team Cry!!!
There could soon be an opening for a marketing strategist at Rapha!!!

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    edited October 2013
    I've spent close to that on several ski/snowboard gloves, and when I ran my shop I sold loads for way more. If they do what they say on the tin they may very well be worth the money to people with poor circulation or those who just don't mind dropping coin on decent kit.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    i need to see this lol.. £200

do you have a link
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    If it's that cold I don't go out for the risk of ice...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • I've probably spent that much so far on trying to find gloves that work!

Some people like me get cold hands easily and have to use winter gloves when the temp is 10C-15C. I assume I have poor circulation. When the temps get below 10C I really suffer, even wearing winter gloves with an inner glove.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I've probably spent that much so far on trying to find gloves that work!

Some people like me get cold hands easily and have to use winter gloves when the temp is 10C-15C. I assume I have poor circulation. When the temps get below 10C I really suffer, even wearing winter gloves with an inner glove.

Agreed - I'm in the same boat,although not quite as bad, tbf. However, there doesn't appear to be any particular guarantee that spending £200 on these gloves will fix that.

How gutted would you be if you went out in these gloves in 3C only to find you are no warmer than you were before?
  • Imposter wrote:
    Agreed - I'm in the same boat,although not quite as bad, tbf. However, there doesn't appear to be any particular guarantee that spending £200 on these gloves will fix that.

How gutted would you be if you went out in these gloves in 3C only to find you are no warmer than you were before?

Very gutted, but I've found with gloves the only way is to take the plunge as reviews by other people are meaningless unless they have your hands and fingers! I've been duped by the word "toasty" too many times.

The interesting feature of the Rapha deep winter glove is the use of the synthetic down Primaloft which I have good experiences with in some of my outdoor clothing.
  • In the depths of winter I use a £15 pair of gloves that I use for skiing.... It's the same gloves a whole lot of the French ski lift / mountain rescue / instructors wear; they're brilliant, although they're not very fashionable at all! I did a 108 mile ride with average air temp of 0-3degrees but with a bitterly cold wind, was out for 8 hours, the gloves kept my fingertips toasty all ride!

These are said gloves:
    http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/Venitex- ... ves-size-8

Obviously if you have a shed load of cash, and like to fall for marketing "scams" to buy the "warmest" glove that's up to you, but for me, the fact that the winter gloves I use are also used daily by those who work at the top of mountains in temps well below zero all day long is the best marketing for me, and I don't care if they don't look cool because my fingers are guaranteed to be toasty warm all ride long!
  • And there is that word! "Toasty". :P
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Miss6899 has Raynaud's. If she were a cyclist, I guess she'd see an expensive glove (Rapha or not) as a means to being able to cycle in cold conditions (conditions in which we might be happy with mitts) without having painfully cold hands and fingers.

So I agree it's expensive, but if you've got the coin and these gloves solve the problem then go for it. Either that or rub your hands together and not be able to get to the keyboard quick enough to write a post full of terrible word play.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    I'm with NapD on this one.

Lesson learnt from last year when I bought some really good (expensive) cold weather gear, but when it was cold enough to use it there was no way I was going outside! Straight on the turbo.
  • LOL at this thread – it’s not a £200 glove system at all. It’s four different gloves that can be purchased separately and then mixed depending on weather conditions – just like the Assos winter glove system!

Merino liner - £40
    Winter gloves (updated form last year) - £70
    Deep winter gloves - £95
    THE CLAW - £70

They can also be bought as two bundles.

And then there’s ‘street’ merino gloves for £60
  • imposter2.0
    LOL at this thread – it’s not a £200 glove system at all. It’s four different gloves that can be purchased separately and then mixed depending on weather conditions – just like the Assos winter glove system!

Merino liner - £40
    Deep winter gloves - £95
    THE CLAW - £70

Even indivudually, those items are at least double the price of similar products. Just sayin...
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Imposter wrote:
    LOL at this thread – it’s not a £200 glove system at all. It’s four different gloves that can be purchased separately and then mixed depending on weather conditions – just like the Assos winter glove system!

Merino liner - £40
    Deep winter gloves - £95
    THE CLAW - £70

Even indivudually, those items are at least double the price of similar products. Just sayin...

You don't have to buy them though. Just sayin.... :wink:

This always happens with Rapha kit, in fact with anything expensive. If you have the cash and want to then great, buy them. If you don't have the cash and want to then get a credit it card and buy them. If you can't afford it, or can't justify the spend then get the cheaper alternatives. As long as you're out on the bike, who cares?

The same logic can be applied to anything. How do some people ever mange to do a grocery shop?
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    That is a lot for a pair of gloves but like others have said if they do the job well you could spend nearly this on various other gloves that don't!!
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • blinddrew
    blinddrew Posts: 317
    My other half really suffered with cold hands so, based on my experience on the motorbike, I got her a set of these: http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/motorcycl ... hwarz.html
    They look odd but transformed her experience of cold weather riding.

Though I notice the price has doubled since I last bought a set :¬(
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Blimey, so many people on here think nothing of spending £200 on the latest 'upgrade' to their bike that will make little difference in reality.

If a set of £200 gloves means you can ride more winter miles, then that's going to make more difference than the latest carbon handlebar or whatever.

Cold and wet hands is miserable and yes, you can buy gloves for less money, but the same applies to everything in life. Just because you can buy a decent bike like the Triban3 for a few hundred quid doesn't mean you shouldn't go out and spend many thousands of quid on a bike does it?
  • IT IS NOT A £200 SET!!!

It would cost £165 at the very most (Claw and Deep Winter glove) but that would be overkill for UK riding and afaik this is on a par with the Assos system.
  • imposter2.0
    marcusjb wrote:

If a set of £200 gloves means you can ride more winter miles, then that's going to make more difference than the latest carbon handlebar or whatever.

agreed - but it's a big 'if' ...
  • Seems a lot, but money on clothing is generally well spent...
    Don't know why people get outraged, when there are frames that cost 4 thousand and in the end they are a mix of resin and fibre, nothing that landed from Mars... some will not outlast a pair of gloves
    left the forum March 2023
  • Scotter
    Scotter Posts: 52
    I`m similar to some of the people posting in that I really suffer with cold hands (and feet!), and yes, I`ve been hoodwinked a few times by reviews promising warm hands whatever the weather.

The only gloves that keep me anything like warm in freezing temperatures are a pair of "Head" ski gloves I bought from Costco for £15, a few years ago. They should have them in stock shortly (if they are stocking them again this year) so give them a try.
  • The flip side is you may be warm wearing the full system, but you lose all your dexterity and can no longer operate the brakes or gears! :lol:

Perhaps electrically heated gloves are the way forward for people like me?
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Rapha in overpriced gear shocker! surely not.

Some of the rapha stuff looks pretty nice, but its damned expensive. Functionality wise you can get stuff that performs as well or better for half the price or less.

If anyone is one of the my hands turn to ice when its below 10%, I would suggest there are much better value alternatives elsewhere.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • t4tomo wrote:
    I would suggest there are much better value alternatives elsewhere.

Please do suggest. Refrain from the word "toasty" too. :)
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Well I just wear mitts until it gets below about 5^C and the have some very thin, long fingered gloves I use, that are white for a bit of visibility for commuting. If it get below freezing then I have an old pair of ski gloves I put over the top.

I'm not in a position to recommend gloves for people with cold hands / poor circulation.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469

Do they come in any other colours? I'm tempted for that price..
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The warmest set of gloves I have is a set of Aldi Golf Mittens. When there's snow on the ground or its freezing - these come into play. Much better than any set of gloves I've ever had and as cheap as anything. If there is snow on the ground I'm on my MTB with thumbshifters usually - so gear changing is fine. I reckon I could work my STI levers too if I had to.
  • I ride no-handed with my hands on my arse.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Imposter wrote:

Merino liner - £40
    Deep winter gloves - £95
    THE CLAW - £70

No they're not - just sayin'
  • imposter2.0
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Merino liner - £40
    Deep winter gloves - £95
    THE CLAW - £70

No they're not - just sayin'
    Actually, you're right. I should have said 'triple the price' - you can pick up merino glove liners for a tenner, for example. Hang on, that's quadruple...
  • Hi guys

Just popping in to say thank you to junglist_matty for the mention and also to answer some questions.

The gloves mentioned only come in one colour, however if you use a waterproofer you can darken them or just use a good leather dye to change the colour.

I have not used this forum before so please excuse me for making this my first post, my website lit up yesterday with many visitors from Bike Radar, which was nice and as a thankyou if you use the coupon code "BikeRadar" on my site you will find a nice 10% discount gets applied to your order