First road bike

pilquin
pilquin Posts: 6
edited September 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi Everyone I am new to cycling and I would like some advice on buying a bike
I have been looking at the Ribble Audax it has the shimano sora groupset looks good value for money
would anyone recommend anything else??

Thanks

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBS ... _road_bike

Have a look at this unless you are specifically after an audax bike, it has Tiagra gears and carbon rear end.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Have a look around your local bike shops, you'll be surprised how close some of them can get to internet prices plus they might help you set it up for size etc. If you buy a new bike and accessories at the same time I'd be very surprised if they don't offer a discount. Very good idea to build a relationship with an LBS.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • pilquin wrote:
    Hi Everyone I am new to cycling and I would like some advice on buying a bike
    I have been looking at the Ribble Audax it has the shimano sora groupset looks good value for money
    would anyone recommend anything else??

Thanks

The usual questions. Budget? Who are you, what sort of cycling do you want to do, what's your background. Are you looking to train for races, do a coast to coast, or LEJOG, only on road or some off roading too?
  • Thanks for that yes just riding to work and maybe a sunday 30 miles my Price round about the £650
  • Riding it work? All year round? Then you're going to want something which can take mudguards at least, maybe panniers, you might want clearance for wider tyres.
  • yes thats why I was looking at the audax the firs link from planet x looks good value
  • diamonddog
    It is, but not really what you're after.
  • No but I was looking at the groupset that would cost me another £100 on the ribble
    The only thig that puts me off the audax it the straight bar the sloping ones look so more modern
    also Im doing it through the cycle to work scheme
  • Also Ive been looking at the scott 50 but has aluminium front forks I have been told the carbon ones are better
  • pilquin wrote:
    Also Ive been looking at the scott 50 but has aluminium front forks I have been told the carbon ones are better

Yes, they should soak up a good deal of the road chatter. An all carbon frame will do that moreso, but you probably want to stick with a alu frame for a commuter bike.
  • diamonddog
    pilquin wrote:
    No but I was looking at the groupset that would cost me another £100 on the ribble
    The only thig that puts me off the audax it the straight bar the sloping ones look so more modern
    also Im doing it through the cycle to work scheme
    I'm sure it doesn't take mudguards etc for your winter commute but I understand what you're saying about the gears. It's really up to you which type you go for.
  • diamonddog
    TBH I don't think there is much of a saving with cycle schemes and IMO int free credit is just as good as an option with less messing about but others may disagree.
  • diamonddog wrote:
    TBH I don't think there is much of a saving with cycle schemes and IMO int free credit is just as good as an option with less messing about but others may disagree.

My thoughts exactly.