I finally went fixed....

mpatts
mpatts Posts: 1,010
edited October 2013 in Road general
Have a SS with a flip flop hub, so I flip flopped it yesterday and went out for a spin.

How long will it take for the wounds to heal on my shins?
Insert bike here:

Comments

• mpatts wrote:
    Have a SS with a flip flop hub, so I flip flopped it yesterday and went out for a spin.

How long will it take for the wounds to heal on my shins?

The same length of time as it takes your sense of self-righteousness at how "at one" you now are with the bike to fully blossom. ;)

PS. You really ought to go clipless on a fixie
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Please tell me you didn't dress like a hipster.
  • mpatts
    GiantMike wrote:

As I have no idea what one looks like it is possible, albeit highly unlikely!

I predict it will be about a week before I swap it round again. I'm sure there is a point, but I can't see it at the moment!
    Insert bike here:
  • It can be fun, but I ultimately decided I like being able to ride downhill without having my legs ripped from their sockets.
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    It can be fun, but I ultimately decided I like being able to ride downhill without having my legs ripped from their sockets.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

ok, you just put me off the idea
    it looks a bit steep to me.....
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Now bin that freewheel. No use at all. Girls only (aged 10)
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    You riding without foot retention?
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Sounds like you didn't have clipless pedals? Might stop your feet flying off the pedals and smacking your shins...
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Surely you just put your feet out in front of you and squeal "wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" as you go down hill?
  • Lassic
    Lassic Posts: 32
    Surely you just put your feet out in front of you and squeal "wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" as you go down hill?
    :lol:

Just wear some chinpads for when you need to get your feet back on the pedals!
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    mpatts wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:

I predict it will be about a week before I swap it round again. I'm sure there is a point, but I can't see it at the moment!

Are you still using your rear brake?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    You are clearly on the wrong forum now go here:

www.lfgss.com

Oh and you need to dress in Wapha.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    mpatts wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:

Here's a typical specimen:

$%28KGrHqN,!lMFIy3Fuq-oBSPZLz9Bnw~~60_1.JPG
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    still laughing at the Weeeeeeeeeee comment.. i ride a fixed on my commute sometimes and indoors over the winter at the velodrome, different experience but really good fun too
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • Have been commuting in London and nipping to the shops on a new Mango single speeder. Haven't flipped the hub yet, and having read this I think I may leave it a while longer.

Very intrigued to see what it's like though.
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    charliew87 wrote:
    Have been commuting in London and nipping to the shops on a new Mango single speeder. Haven't flipped the hub yet, and having read this I think I may leave it a while longer.

Very intrigued to see what it's like though.

Only ridden fixed in the velodrome - it was a track bike so no brakes either ... makes slowing down quickly very interesting! I was clipped in though so no problem with being smacked in the shins.

The only time I've thought a fixie would be handy was when coming down a narrow country lane descent in the wet & dark trying to keep my speed right down so on the brakes - a fixie would've helped - but been a huge hindrance on the 8-9% climb back up the other side!
  • RDW wrote:
    mpatts wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:

Here's a typical specimen:

$%28KGrHqN,!lMFIy3Fuq-oBSPZLz9Bnw~~60_1.JPG

He might have the clothes but that bike clearly has gears and regular drop bars, so he isn't typical.

Back to the topic, I have often wondered what benefit fixed has over single speed. There, I've said it.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Fixed is fine - but dear god you need your feet secure. I'd not dream of riding mine without clipless pedals.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    wandsworth wrote:
    Back to the topic, I have often wondered what benefit fixed has over single speed. There, I've said it.

The major benefit is the warm, fuzzy feeling of self-righteousness over single speed riders...... :wink:

I've haven't ridden a single speed bike since I was a small child, so can't really compare with what riding fixed is like, but the bike helping you over the dead spots in the pedal revolution must be of benefit particularly when climbing.

No annoying freewheel tick when going downhills is a big advantage - descending to just the sound of your knees exploding and lungs popping out of your mouth is all part of the fun of fixed.

I should try single speed one day, but then I worry that I might actually like it more than fixed and I won't be able to look at single speed riders with a unapproving glare at the lights any more.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    marcusjb wrote:
    wandsworth wrote:

The major benefit is the warm, fuzzy feeling of self-righteousness over single speed riders...... :wink:
    ~~~~
    I should try single speed one day, but then I worry that I might actually like it more than fixed and I won't be able to look at single speed riders with a unapproving glare at the lights any more.

I admit it. I really do have a certain amount of smugness when I see singlespeeders..
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    If you're wondering what a hipster is, here's a song explaining it all-

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lVmmYMwFj1 ... VmmYMwFj1I
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    funny, fit right in with te guys in the Northern Quarter in Manchester
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • mpatts
    Another weekly update on fixed....

How do you go round corners at any speed?
    Insert bike here:
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    With a wider line than you typically would on gears.

You'll build confidence and get into leaning more - but obviously not as much as you typically will on gears.