Ritchey one bolt seatpost clamp for oval rails???

ScreaminWargasm
ScreaminWargasm Posts: 289
edited February 2014 in Road general
Hi,

Im hoping someone has resolved this problem and can offer some advice.
I have a Ritchey carbon seatpost on my Scott Foil and wish to fit a Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio saddle with 7x9.6 rails.

The clamp im after seems to come in either a Black colour which Ritchey suggest is the "alloy version" or a Siver colour which Ritchey suggest is the "Carbon version".

The Wiggle site seems to suggest the opposite, stating that the Carbon version is Black which would make more sense!

My question is......which is correct or can I just use whichever one I want??
I assume they are identical in size.

Id rather have the Black version as it would blend in better but if that can only be used on an Alloy post, its no good to me.
What makes this even more frustrating is that both items in the required size are like rocking horse poo!!!

Many Thanks

Mick

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I used to have exactly the same set up and I still have the seat rail clamp which is silver, I can't really see what difference the colour will make It's purely a size issue.
    A couple of years ago there was no colour choice but there were three choices of rail clamp and only one was the carbon rail clamp, this was a different size to accommodate the 9mm carbon rails.

That's not really that helpful, but if silver is the only option send me a pm with your address and I'll post the rail clamp.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Bozman wrote:
    I used to have exactly the same set up and I still have the seat rail clamp which is silver, I can't really see what difference the colour will make It's purely a size issue.
    A couple of years ago there was no colour choice but there were three choices of rail clamp and only one was the carbon rail clamp, this was a different size to accommodate the 9mm carbon rails.

That's not really that helpful, but if silver is the only option send me a pm with your address and I'll post the rail clamp.

Replied with a PM mate
  • Monty Dog wrote:

Thanks for your link but thats where I got my original info from. The Wiggle site however, says its Black and NOT silver which caused the confusion.

Mick
  • My Ritchey 'oval' clamp for the same seat is silver, (superlogic post).
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    You can get any of the Ritchey 1 bolt clamps in either black or silver. Just depends what they have on hand.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Grill wrote:
    You can get any of the Ritchey 1 bolt clamps in either black or silver. Just depends what they have on hand.

Cheers Grill,

Have you actually tried this then? I can't see as it would make much difference as both clamps look as though they are made of Alloy anyway. Plus the original one is Alloy and Black in colour which suggests to me that you can use the Black version for larger rails without any problems.
  • Grill
    Yes, I have about a dozen of these clamps in all sizes and both colours. You can see them as well as order them here: http://www.ritchey.ch/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=7&Itemid=1
  • Thanks for the info...

Just had a reply back from Ritchey regarding this. They have just released a 2013 Black clamp (should be in shops soon) that is designed to be used specifically with the carbon post and has raised ridges much like the silver version to aid in gripping the carbon post.
    Any models prior to this will not grip the post properly and can cause slipping and possible damage to the carbon post as the inside of the clamp is smooth compared to the ridges on the silver clamps.

For anyone wanting this info down the line, the Carbon clamps prior to 2013 are Silver and the Black are not supposed to be used.
    The 8x8.5mm should be marked with the code "VF" and the 7x9.6mm should be marked with "DC".

By the sound of it, you can get away with using the Black version for now, although a proper version should be in the shops soon.
    If only I could change the seatpost on my Scott FOIL :roll:

Mick
  • Grill
    What's wrong with the seatpost?
  • Nothings wrong with the post, its great......its getting the clamps for it that's the problem lol
    I have been lucky enough to have one sent to me from a member on this forum for free (cheers Bozman) but other than that, they are pretty much out of stock everywhere in the size I wanted.

Maybe that's due to the fact that Ritchey are replacing the current stock with the newer versions hey...
  • Grill
    My LBS got me clamps in 2 days and I've also ordered elsewhere with no issue. Both Epic and Westbrook keep quite a few in stock as they sell loads of Foils.
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    I suspect I know the answer but if anyone could confirm that would be good - do Ritchey do a 2 bolt seatpost clamp for oval rails?
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I suspect I know the answer but if anyone could confirm that would be good - do Ritchey do a 2 bolt seatpost clamp for oval rails?

There isn't an issue with the two bolt seat rail clamp, that clamps on to oval rails without an issue.
    It's the one bolt clamp that requires a different clamp for oval rails, this is available for about £9 from wiggle.
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Bozman wrote:
    There isn't an issue with the two bolt seat rail clamp, that clamps on to oval rails without an issue.
    It's the one bolt clamp that requires a different clamp for oval rails, this is available for about £9 from wiggle.

:shock: :shock: :shock: ... <hurries off to bike shed to look very closely at seat rail clamp>...

By 'eck you're not wrong - why did I assume the clamp was circular and not oval? :oops: :oops:

Many thanks :D