Bike Setup for Transport (suspension)

tavyabe
tavyabe Posts: 283
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I was wondering what the best way to set the suspension for long distance car journeys is? I have a Thule 921 tow bar mounted rack. Following a 4 hour journey my rear shock was spewing pink fluid and ended up being replaced so I wondered whether it was just bad timing or to do with how I should set it up? I have an RP23 rear and F32 front. Should they be locked out, fast or slow rebound, compression, high or low psi....

Any advice would be great. Thank you.

Comments

• tavyabe wrote:
    Hi

I was wondering what the best way to set the suspension for long distance car journeys is? I have a Thule 921 tow bar mounted rack. Following a 4 hour journey my rear shock was spewing pink fluid and ended up being replaced so I wondered whether it was just bad timing or to do with how I should set it up? I have an RP23 rear and F32 front. Should they be locked out, fast or slow rebound, compression, high or low psi....

Any advice would be great. Thank you.

its something ive never even considered? as suspension is designed to take significant load over an extended period of time, id be very peeved if sticking the bike on top of my car for a few hours caused them to fail ?
  • tavyabe
    I am relatively convinced that the shock was past its best anyway but just thought I would ask if there was a 'best practice' as I have another 6 hour journey next weekend. Any more thoughts?
  • Not something you need to worry about IMHO, the bike is clamped by the frame and wheels, so effectively stationary regardless of how bouncy the journey is?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nope just put them on the bike carrier and go.

pipe lagging on the legs can help if they are likely to get sand blasted.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tavyabe
    Ok, thanks for your quick replies I'll stop worrying about it and put the last one down to bad timing and the shock was gonna blow anyway.

Thanks all. :)