Hi, Mosso rigid forks issue

monkeyisland3g
monkeyisland3g Posts: 9
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I just bought a Rigid Mosso Aluminium Forks for an amateur project (mtb + rigid forks with disc brake= sort of hybrid bike).

The problem is:
The tube is an standard 1 1/8 inch (28.6mm) "B" in picture attached.

But the lowest part of the tube, the last 4cm, is slightly wider, 30mm, marked as "A" in picture. So that i cannot fit any bearing or any riser.... the standard 1 1/8 does not reach the end. Is there any riser of 30mm width and 40mm high? Any other ideas?

Thanks

v12ggqqot
mosso.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    that is where the crown race fits. and is normal.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • So any ideas/options to adapt this forks to a mtb frame(SPECIALIZED HARDROCK PRO 2009)?
    Thaks
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    c. 30mm is the correct diameter for the crown race seat on a 1 1/8 steerer

the crown race does not just slip on, it needs to be lightly greased and then whomped on, either with a crown race setting tool or an improvised equivalent

the whomping process is strangely satisfying
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    take the crown race of the old fork and fit it to the new fork.

read this

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... et-service
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    make sure to put the crown race on the right way up :-)

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12942854
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Thanks all! for the quick answers!!! I'll pop in the workshop on monday. Thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yours, or are you going to pay someone to use a hammer and screwdriver?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I paid for it, It cost me £2 and it took only a minute to do it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I paid for it, It cost me £2 and it took only a minute to do it.
    So £120/hour plus the time and cost of getting there......it really is a 1 minute job with hammer and screwdriver!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.