Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB beginners

Carrera Fury

oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,839
edited November 2013 in MTB beginners
Just picked up a Carrera Fury 2010 from a friend at work in mint condition. I've read various reviews but just how good are they in your view.
Will only be used on trail centres and at worst Cannock and a bit in the peak district.
Spec is below
Sram X5 shifters, X5 front mech, X5 rear mech (27 speed).
Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes.
Mavic 317 wheels.
Truvativ Blaze crankset.
Suntour Epicon forks 120mm with lockout.
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.

Posts

  • Sure it'll be more than adequate
  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,748
    A Fury will cope and be good enough to be fun for that sort of use, all the bits on it work perfectly well, certainly well enough for you to genuinely see if you like the sport and the Carrera HT frames are eminently suitable for upgrades (see links in my sig to my similar framed Kraken and other Carrera HT's).
  • IDaveIDave Posts: 223
    My first bike was a 2010 Fury, until some scumbag messed it up whilst trying to steal it.

    It was an excellent bike, I had some great times on it. I'd stick a couple of decent tyres on it though, as the Mountain Kings that come on it as standard are a bit rubbish.
  • PaperPaper Posts: 19
    I had a fury 2013 loved it, just upgraded to a boardman.
  • i'm on a 2013 Fury and loving it!! want to shed a little weight from it but it'd be easier to shed it from my 19 stone self!!

    i'm regulary doing 20-30 miles and intend doing the coast to coast next year on it too
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,839
    Just blasted it around Cannock a couple of times around the Dog today and loved it far better than my old DiamondBack that my eldest now has.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • oxoman wrote:
    Just picked up a Carrera Fury 2010 from a friend at work in mint condition. I've read various reviews but just how good are they in your view.
    Will only be used on trail centres and at worst Cannock and a bit in the peak district.
    Spec is below
    Sram X5 shifters, X5 front mech, X5 rear mech (27 speed).
    Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes.
    Mavic 317 wheels.
    Truvativ Blaze crankset.
    Suntour Epicon forks 120mm with lockout.

    I have one of these. I have upgraded to a 203 rotor on the front, put the 180 avid disk on the rear, FSA carbon bars, and got rid of the crappy shimano rear hub for a hope bulb I had sat in my drawer. Rides loads better now. I'm well impressed with the forks, so plush and progressive. My only gripe is the brakes, they are coming off and getting upgraded to 2012 shimano deores
    2011 carrera fury
    2012 20" onza genesis trials bike
    2014 carrera virtuoso road bike
  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,748
    Worst 'upgrades' I've ever heard of I'm afraid, no need for 203/180's on a Fury at all, and there is nothing wrong with Shimano hubs. Suspect the reason you changed discs is more to do with the last sentance!
  • Wow - 203mm discs for an entry level XC/trail hard tail! If it makes you happy.... If you couldn't stop with 160s that is because there was a problem with them, not that they were too small, my hard tail had a 140 disc on the back and that was fine!


    Anyway, the bike mags liked it

    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/product/review-carrera-fury-12-45764/

    Their review stated they prefers the older setup (yours) as well. It's not the stuff wet dreams are made of, but it sounds like a good buy and more than adequate for your needs...
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Worst 'upgrades' I've ever heard of I'm afraid, no need for 203/180's on a Fury at all, and there is nothing wrong with Shimano hubs. Suspect the reason you changed discs is more to do with the last sentance!
    How can a Taiwan/china made shimano hub with 24 engagements and cup and cone bearings, be better than a British made sealed bearing 36 engagement hub? And it makes a nice noise. Also coming from a trials background, where brakes are on or off, these disk sizes are just fine for me. I'd rather have too much power than just enough, then learn to use the power. Its personal preference, and I prefer big brakes. People may scoff, but it works for me. It came with avid G2CS disks, and standard avid sintered pads. It was shite to be honest, now with new disks and über bike pads, its amazing. One finger braking with the lightest of touches, which is how I like it. I know they aren't gonna fade on a long descent, and there's nothing worse than rubbish brakes that won't stop you, which dents ones confidence just a little bit
    2011 carrera fury
    2012 20" onza genesis trials bike
    2014 carrera virtuoso road bike
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Worst 'upgrades' I've ever heard of I'm afraid, no need for 203/180's on a Fury at all, and there is nothing wrong with Shimano hubs. Suspect the reason you changed discs is more to do with the last sentance!
    How can a Taiwan/china made shimano hub with 24 engagements and cup and cone bearings, be better than a British made sealed bearing 36 engagement hub?

    He never said it was - he said it was the worst upgrade, not a downgrade. The hubs and brakes on that bike are absolutely fine if set up and working properly. That money could have been far better spent on upgrading something that would have benefitted more....
  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,748
    How can a Taiwan/china made shimano hub with 24 engagements and cup and cone bearings, be better than a British made sealed bearing 36 engagement hub?
    Thus displaying your silliness really....

    Where it is made is irrelevant to how good it is, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with cup and cone bearings, the 36 point engagement is nicer, but doesn't justify the cost unless the Shimano hubs are fubarred, lots of other places to upgrade a Fury before doing what you did, and it never ever needs 203/180's.
  • New to cycling and was looking to purchase a Carrera Fury. Thanks for the info
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,839
    Lovely bike especially the later ones with Epicon forks. Battered mine around Cannock chase yesterday. Brilliant bike for me, only thing i need is a decent front crud catcher and shorten the bars slightly as a bit wide for me. I do have one bugbear with the bike, WHY WHITE. Pain in the censored means i have to clean it every time it goes out unlike my last bike.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • Kowalski675Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    oxoman wrote:
    Lovely bike especially the later ones with Epicon forks.

    Late ones (post 2012) have Raidon forks.
  • NorthwindNorthwind Posts: 15,475
    Wow - 203mm discs for an entry level XC/trail hard tail! If it makes you happy...

    Why on earth would you not think a durable long travel hardtail can make good use of strong brakes? Think you are underestimating what these bikes can be used for.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,839
    Sorry meant earlier / older models not later. My mistake.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,748
    edited November 2013
    Northwind wrote:
    Wow - 203mm discs for an entry level XC/trail hard tail! If it makes you happy...

    Why on earth would you not think a durable long travel hardtail can make good use of strong brakes?
    The fact the forks are only rated to 185mm perhaps?

    Noting that it's not a long travel hardtail, max travel used on that frame is 120mm.
  • brucie45brucie45 Posts: 279
    The Rookie wrote:
    Northwind wrote:
    Wow - 203mm discs for an entry level XC/trail hard tail! If it makes you happy...

    Why on earth would you not think a durable long travel hardtail can make good use of strong brakes?
    The fact the forks are only rated to 185mm perhaps?

    :lol::lol: ^^this^^ :lol::lol:
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • NorthwindNorthwind Posts: 15,475
    OK, yes, that is a good reason :oops: I was forgetting they'd swapped from Toras. Shame, the rest of the bike is well up for it.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • NorthwindNorthwind Posts: 15,475
    Why not? I've had 203s in a 120mm bike, it worked superbly (wound down Revelations in a Soul- rated for 130mm but ridden at 120). Oh aye, and in my Camber too. Take it up a proper mountain or on an uplift and tell me you can't make use of big brakes on a middle-sized bike.

    Unless it'll break the fork. :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,748
    The point ether was that yours wasn't a 120mm travel frame, it was a 130mm frame....the fact you were running 120mm doesn't change the nature of the frame (bearing in mind most Carrera's run 100mm anyway).
  • NorthwindNorthwind Posts: 15,475
    You seem confused... First of all, Camber is a 120mm only frame.

    Second, why does the extra 10mm of travel my Soul didn't actually have make a difference? Both 120mm bikes.

    And then you add "most carreras having 100mm", what relevance does that have to anything at all?

    Anyone who thinks 120mm bikes can't use big brakes has no idea what can be done with a 120mm bike.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,748
    I didn't say can't, I said may not, the Fury with even the Tora's will gain no benefit from a 203mm disc, it's only if you get a 180mm too hot will you gain anything from a 203!
  • NorthwindNorthwind Posts: 15,475
    That's not true either :?
    Uncompromising extremist
Sign In or Register to comment.