Bar tape

fat-lad-on-a-bike
fat-lad-on-a-bike Posts: 26
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
Bar tape?

Looking to change mine, but as new to road biking what is decent tape, not looking top end but something half decent?

Thanks

Comments

• russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    It's all down to personal preference. If you just want cheap have a look at Planet X they normally have a deal.
  • Any brands to look at?

Pretty open to something half decent, just not sure if my bike a premium old girl!!
  • I very new to road biking therefore have no preference!
    Fancy white tape but that's about it!
  • russyh
    I like Lizard skins DSP, however only in black as I found it seemed to get dirtier and was harder to clean than other tapes.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Arundel Gecko for me :)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • russyh
    I wouldn't buy the lizard skin stuff in white. If you want white bar tape (i wouldn't recommend it) then I would look for a bar tape that's easier to clean so something like fizik super light classic would probably be my preference
  • thanks for your responses.

only reason I though white was to make the old girl look pretty.
    Therefore was thinking white tape and a white seat.

would add a pic of her but it wont let me!!
  • russyh
    add your pictures into somewhere like Flickr then copy the URL and post the URL on here using the IMg function Simples!
  • If you want white then fizik microtex is great. Or, if you want something half the price, slightly more cushioned the Decathlon do their own microtex tape. I've had the white tape on for about 9 months and it looks as good today as it did when I first fitted it. It's had the usual gunk on it like grease but it wipes clean everytime.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • hopefully after shrinking the death out of this maybe it is viewable!!

This is my first bike bought as a training bike for over the winter, but enjoying biking.
    So going to see how far I can push her!!

Was thinking new seat and tape, therefore wear white came from!!
  • kwi
    kwi Posts: 181
    Is that saddle giving you problems/worn out? If not don't change it. Same for the tape.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Cinelli bar tape feels wonderful and goes on well, oddly sensual..... But it's not that thick. Specialized do a thicker tape (phat something or other) and it offers a lot more cushioning.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • the Saddle is curved and feel it isn't the most comfortable.
    Tape is okay just grubby.

think is more im trying to tart up the old girl.
  • Everyone will have their favourite. I've had a cork type bar tape supplied on my original bike, currently got some Planet X tape on there.

Put some Arundel Gecko Grip on another bike and really like that. Not too thick and really grippy.

Actually got another set of the Gecko Grip and I'll be replacing the Planet X tape with that.
  • If your bar tape is grubby try wiping it with baby wipes, should come up pretty well.