TT Worlds Podium, body types.

2»

Comments

• okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    No. But he wouldn't be someone you'd look twice at in the street. There in one tube carriage you'd find someone his height ect. He's fairly normal, just big for a cyclist. As I said Magnus is someone who would still look big on street as he does in a peloton.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    okgo wrote:
    No. But he wouldn't be someone you'd look twice at in the street. There in one tube carriage you'd find someone his height ect. He's fairly normal, just big for a cyclist. As I said Magnus is someone who would still look big on street as he does in a peloton.

Exactly, he is "Big for a cyclist" that is what the thread is about. Podium body types. Stannards is different from the vast majority of top pro cyclists.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    okgo wrote:
    mike6 wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    Exactly, Stannard you would still regard as a skinny runt among normal people (because he is).

The other two are both bigger yes, but I would say the reason they're both bigger is because they didn't/haven't/won't be interested in going on a crash diet like Wiggins has to challenge GC, remember wiggins was also getting on for 80kg when he was a track rider, he was heavier than Martin, and probably not a million miles from Fabian. It isn't natrual body type, look at early shots of Chris Froome, he's huge.

Not quite the point though. Stannard stands out, among pros, as a different body type despite doing all the thousands of hours in the saddle it takes to be a top pro cyclist. If he was was the usual sedentary man in the street imagine what shape he would be?

Really?

He's 6,3 and probably average build if he wasn't a cyclist, he'd blend in. He isn't a big bloke. Magnus Backsteadt was a big bloke.

I think you are both saying the same thing I.e that Stannard is big enough to stand out as a cyclist but nothing unusual in the 'real' world. He's much the same size and build as me and I suspect people would describe me as tall and medium build. The only difference is that Mike6 assumes he'd be morbidly obese if he weren't a pro cyclist.

I spent ages talking to Maggie at a local cross race last year and he is definitely a big bloke as in tall and fairly big framed but was actually quite gaunt.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Wrong, I was talking body type. He is not the typical Pro Tour build, that's all I was saying, nothing about morbidly obese.
  • mike6 wrote:
    I read somewhere that some in the peloton have such huge lung capacities that when in the aero tuck it looks like a beer gut.

Definitely gonna borrow that one.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    FocusZing wrote:

You can't see the group of amateur cyclists standing out of shot telling him he doesn't need to do any strength work, while letting their guts hang out to look like a massive lung capacity.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    frisbee wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

You can't see the group of amateur cyclists standing out of shot telling him he doesn't need to do any strength work, while letting their guts hang out to look like a massive lung capacity.

Ha, yes. He's probably thinking roll with it.