ToB - tell us your ultimate parcours

2»

Comments

• Isle of Man idea is great. I tweeted the sane thing to the TOB organisers earlier in the year.
    Whilst great dun fell would be excellent, I doubt NATS would be too happy with their delicate equipment being surrounded by lots of trucks with comms equipment. Probably not enough room to stage a finish there. Shap from Kendal would give a good long climb. Not too steep, but more feasible, if not quite the same challenge. From the north is much more of a gentle slope. Could be the end to a loop round the lakes or a long stage from somewhere down south like blackpool.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,442
    I think the Manx road club have a TT on their moto TT course and Kennaugh did it in about 1.27? or was that roacheys time? they could have that as a TT stage, must be some good road for big races over there and I'm sure it would be welcomed with there being several Manx riders that would be in the race. How about one the the stages being the cicle classic route? be good to see top top guys riding that

It used to be the opening race of Isle of Man International Cycling Week. The final day was the Manx international (3laps of TT circuit) plus a 1/2/3 and 3/J support race (Viking Trophy and Manin Veg?) which were 2 and 1 lap respectively. I did the one lap race as a junior in my first year cycling. It's a great course and 3 laps would give spectators their money's worth. The Manx Government are brilliant at closing roads too, all the racing I did out there was on fully closed roads as they know the importance of the tourism it brings.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,549
    The man who creates the ToB route likes it. :lol:

tob3pistes.png
  • 'ere, Alan, apropos of nothing but if Scotland vote for independence, going to be interesting times for Scottish cycling (and Scottish Cycling). Opportunities? Challenges? Wedge of funding needed from Salmond and his govt, for sure
  • alan_a
    Although IMO he is the best politician in the UK, I doubt Salmond will win the vote next year.

I am Scottish, but I am most definitely also British.
  • ^just clocked your new avi!

8)
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Gone are the days when Sean and co would TT up The Law in Dundee :-(
    I reckon up the road and down the steps would sort the men from the boys...
  • Alan A wrote:

2. MTF on Great Dunn Fell.

It's our biggest climb, it's a shame not to use it. You'd be guaranteed people travelling from all over to see it.

this
    and also more use of the lanes round the lincs/notts, exposed windy and with terrible surfaces.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Id love to see something out from glasgow, to the campsies with some form of finish on the road at the car park of the crow road, coming from lennox town. maybe after having done the 3 lochs ride, down across balloch, back route to Tak ma doon, up front of crow road, down back tak ma doon again and then finish on crow. Mainly because I like all these routes.
  • Last year's stage in Devon (the one won by Samu Sanchez) again and again

Agreed!
  • frosty99
    frosty99 Posts: 115
    Last year's stage in Devon (the one won by Samu Sanchez) again and again

Agreed!

think it was urtasun?? into Dartmouth, sanchez set it up for him IIRC
  • alan_a
    Over Christmas a little birdie told me Edinburgh were bidding for a ToB stage. ;-)
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    Alan A wrote:
    Over Christmas a little birdie told me Edinburgh were bidding for a ToB stage. ;-)

Not sure it would be long enough for a stage, but something taking in the Roman Road from Edinburgh to Newcastle would be good. Also, Perth via Dufftown on to Elgin/the coast along the Old Military Road through the Cairngorms would be a nice one too.
  • Alan A wrote:

You could do a fantastic city based stage in Edinburgh and it would generate big crowds. So much easier to get to than the Borders! A big finish up the cobbles of the Royal Mile – very Belgian ;-)

On the subject of Scotland – we were discussing a Tour of Scotland the other day.

Stage 1: Glasgow to Ft William
    Stage 2: Ft William to Inverness or Aberdeen
    Stage 3: Aberdeen to Dundee (via the Lecht)
    Stage 4: Dundee TT (oldschool Kellogg’s ’89 route up The Law – brutal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agRLRYZER6o)
    Stage 5: Dundee to Edinburgh via Perth or Fife Coast, over the bridge for a few laps of the city centre then said big finish up the Royal Mile
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Alan A wrote:

You could do a fantastic city based stage in Edinburgh and it would generate big crowds. So much easier to get to than the Borders! A big finish up the cobbles of the Royal Mile – very Belgian ;-)

On the subject of Scotland – we were discussing a Tour of Scotland the other day.

Stage 1: Glasgow to Ft William
    Stage 2: Ft William to Inverness or Aberdeen
    Stage 3: Aberdeen to Dundee (via the Lecht)
    Stage 4: Dundee TT (oldschool Kellogg’s ’89 route up The Law – brutal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agRLRYZER6o)
    Stage 5: Dundee to Edinburgh via Perth or Fife Coast, over the bridge for a few laps of the city centre then said big finish up the Royal Mile

Sounds good to me. :D